The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan M1000 Ef Nib Or Pelikan M800 Ef Nib?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Nibwitz

Nibwitz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:03

@FriendAmos

I still think I can read properly; 'nor did I experience any of the alleged springiness'

Questions however do arise about your comprehensive reading capacities; where did I write a single line out of which one can make up that I assume people are buying the M1000 for it's springiness? Were did I write that I assume my experience is universal? Nowhere.

Now you read again, 'carefully': I stated: a pen with (for me) a pleasant soft nib

Anyway; I never did mean to question anyones motivation on buying or liking the M1000.
My point remains the same; I personally think it's a pitty that, as I am liking soft nibs, the M1000 is the only modern Pelikan pen I can find one in.

Enjoy your pen.
"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"
Georges Braque

Sponsored Content

#22 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 22:20

I have testwritten a 1000 with an ef nib but it wrote too thin for me so I chose one with a f and later bought one with a m
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#23 Nibwitz

Nibwitz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:33

Today I again tested a M1000, and to my surprise the nib was not very springy. How can that happen? Has there been a change in manufacturing in recent years? A year ago I tested a M1000 which had a extremely soft nib, that made it very different compared to the M800 that I tried at the same occasion.
Also today, I wrote with a M800 'M' size nib, which was a bit disappointing to me. Not a lot of 'feedback'; a sort of 'numb' feeling on the paper. I must say that I wouldn't put my M200 steel nib aside for this M800...
As a Pelikan enthousiast, I was surprised by how well a Parker Duofold (small size) did write ('F'). Better than the M800, imho.
I wouldn't pay so much money for a C/C pen however.
Georges Braque

#24 Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04

Today I again tested a M1000, and to my surprise the nib was not very springy. How can that happen? Has there been a change in manufacturing in recent years? A year ago I tested a M1000 which had a extremely soft nib, that made it very different compared to the M800 that I tried at the same occasion.

I do hope that this is merely a one off manufacturing incident or an error of subjectivity; if not that would be a real pity and will definitely curb my enthusiasm for (and halt my plans for purchasing) a new M1000 in the near future.

Can anyone else who has fondled an M1000 of recent make(full gold cap jewel/end cap) verify this? Or report any similar experiences?

It would be a damn shame if Pelikan decided that it could no longer risk a softer nib for all the usual reasons why modern companies eschew softer nibs (user stupidity and carelessness being perhaps the prime reason).

#25 Nibwitz

Nibwitz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:26

I don't know the turnover-time of the shop where I tried the M1000, perhaps it has been there for a long time. I mean; could as well be that the older M1000 are stiffer than nowadays?
Georges Braque

#26 Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28

I don't know the turnover-time of the shop where I tried the M1000, perhaps it has been there for a long time. I mean; could as well be that the older M1000 are stiffer than nowadays?

That could be.
Do you happen to remember what the captop looked like?

#27 Nibwitz

Nibwitz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:29

No sorry I didn't look at that. I'm going to try another M1000 in a different shop tomorrow, so let's see...
Georges Braque

#28 Nibwitz

Nibwitz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:08

The continuing story; tried 3 different M1000's today; 2X F, 1xEF.
All three were 'springy': the tip of the nib gives in easy under pressure. Besides; both 'F' sized nibs were extremely wet writers; a very wet and dark line. For me personally to wet.
But I guess that such things can be adjusted.

Anyhow, the M800 nib is very stiff, and thus very different.

Also, I tried a M400, and to my surprise, it had a somewhat soft nib as well. Not like the M1000, but less stiff than the M600 and M800 I tried today.

Conclusion: the M1000 is springy, the other nibs are rigid, perhaps the Pelikan nibs differ a little, as can be seen with the M400 described here.
There are no 2 nibs the same I think.
Georges Braque

Sponsored Content

|