• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mAnuscript69

• JonSzanto

• stefanv

• vistafan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of the inks I have experience of, I would have gone with Diamine Damson too :rolleyes:

What I would say is, with these colours as Bo Bo Olson would say....

It's one third pen (or nib), a third paper, and a third ink....

I find, as with dark greens...generally speaking, the finer the nib, the darker the colour...

of course YMMV.... :hmm1:

Edited by 51ISH

Diamine Bilberry (more of a blue purple, but it's very dark)

Diamine Eclipse (black with purple undertones)

Bilberry is too light for work; I've got a sample of Eclipse on the way. :thumbup:

Diamine Damson.

I checked this one out, but settled for Grape instead as it is slightly darker.

Damson is darker than Grape. In a fine nib Damson is almost black in a fine nib.

Edited by GeeTee

I would suggest Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses. I don't have any experience with Black Swan in Australian Roses, but it sure seems to be popular, so it's probably worth checking out.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

MB lavender purple is defnitely NOT close to black; I have a bottle (I like this color very much!) and would say that it is a relatively light purple with a reddish cast. If when you get it you are still trying to find purple-black I would try mixing it with black and see what proportion you like... I personally made an ad-hoc mix with the lavender purple, waterman blue, and (lots of!) (Parker) black; the result is a blackish purple with hints of both blue and red in it... and it has great flow in most pens that are balky with other inks. I will have to try and repeat this mix, because as it turns out I like this ink better every time I use it!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Since I added my thoughts earlier, I feel compelled to add the following: the "Black Swan" inks, of which I have both, don't seem to fall easily into a 'purple' category. Both are much more of a magenta-based ink, darkened way down. The Aussie version goes into blackness, the English version into brown-ness. But in both cases, if you dilute them, or lay them on the paper thinly, the color hue definitely seems magenta-red, rather than purple as a base color.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Rohrer und Klingner Scabiosa, perhaps.

+1

Purple color with the qualities of a traditional iron gall blue-black that darkens as it dries. Very nice. Also seek out Pharmacist's Purpura Imperialis. I also enjoy Noodler's Purple Heart.

I have just received De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton Aubergine from Gouletpens and that is a lovely dark blackish purple to my eyes. I have it in a juicy fine italic mobbed CS37. Good luck with your quest.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Great suggestions. I have indeed ordered samples of Noodler's Black Swan in English & Australian Roses.

R&K Scabiosa looks really good actually. Unfortunately I missed out on that one on my order of ~15 ink samples (of which more than half of them are variations of dark purple) :mellow:

mhguda - That sounds like a good mix, will give it a shot when I have the inks on hand.

Another ink to note is Akkerman's Voorhout Violet. It looks pretty good but I'm not sure if I can get hold of some in Australia.

Hey, just to follow up: I was trying to stick to your "purple" task, but the Black Swan inks are some of my very favorite inks, especially with larger nibs / stubs / CI. Beautiful, rich colors with a lot of shading.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

There was a home brew mix listed here, Black Swan in African Violets. It was a mix of good old Bp Black and North African Violet, but the exact mix is eluding me at the moment. If your up to 'home brewing' you may come up with what your after!

As an off the shelf ink, first thing that came to my mind was PR Ebony Purple, it is indeed black in many pens with only a touch of dark purple shading. Only in the dries writers will it be noticeably purple, without close examination.

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Based on the OP, I don’t think either of the Black Swan in Roses inks will match any of your requirements: BSER is a reddish brown that has shading that stretches from an orange red into a brownish black, while BSAR is a magenta purple that shades from an almost pink magenta to a dark ... magenta. I noticed some time ago a mention in the ink mixing forum of a combination of BSAR with one of the Noodler’s blacks that may make it darker, but I haven’t tried this yet. In any case, I would not advise BSER or BSAR for this purpose. They’re fine inks, but they are not black purples.

You might try searching this forum for discussions on dark purple inks (there have been several threads about this, even in the last couple weeks), but here’s my pair of pennies:

Rohrer & Klingner’s Scabiosa is a fine choice (see my review, if you like), as on most papers it goes down dark, is well behaved on most papers and pens I’ve used, and, as a bonus, is reasonably water resistant and dries reasonably quickly.

Noodler’s La Reigne Mauve is one of my favorites, but it’s temperamental and often behaves badly. With some pen/paper combinations, it can look almost like a bright mauve purple, but with most, it looks dark and deep, and often dries to nearly black. On glossy paper (such as Red & Black notebooks), it dries to a very black color. Once dry, it is totally waterproof, even on glossy paper (a weakness of many other inks, in my opinion). That all said, it’s very expensive (last I checked, it is Noodler’s most expensive ink, per volume), can be very prone to bleeding and feathering, dries in many pens if left uncapped or even capped, if for too long, and (as with many other of Noodler’s Bulletproof inks) takes a long time to dry, especially on glossy paper. I love it, but it does have its costs.

I hear Noodler’s Violet Vote is a good option, but I don’t know how dark it gets as I do not yet have a bottle.

If you can get ink from our fellow forum user, Pharmacist, consider his Purpura Imperialis, which goes down a nice dark purple and dries to nearly black on most papers, and is rather well-behaved. I’ll probably be using this to fill out my ballot for the upcoming elections ’round my parts. Like R&K Scabiosa, it’s an iron gall ink, which makes some people a little uncomfortable, but I've found them to be pretty low maintenance. This is apparently a waterproof ink, though I have not yet taken the time to test it.

I found Noodler’s Purple Heart to be a little brighter than I think you’re looking for, but it is a very nice color. It appears you’ve got a sample on its way, so I hope you will let us know what you think about it.

Hi Josiah,

All my fancy colored IG-inks will have some bleeding of the dye component when it gets wet, but the permanent IG body will be untouched. The only exception is my urkundentinte, which will stay perfectly untouched and is completely waterproof. Urkundentinte is however bue-black. Purpura Imperialis is however still pretty waterproof, but with some purple dye ghostly spreading away from the edges of the written line :thumbup: .

i've been on the same hunt, and the best I've come up with is Diamine Eclipse diluted 1:1 with water. It remains smooth and doesnt feather or bleed at this dilution, but it shades to purple.

Edited by drmom777

Grape is a fabulous ink and would match your needs in a wet writing pen. But I would say PR Ebony Purple seems most likely to please you.

Do you have any other requirements such as flow, dry time, water resistance, etc? That might help narrow it down.