Purple Black Ink

mAnuscript69

I'm looking for a reliable purple-black ink for everyday writing. I've searched high and low across many brands and have not found a purple-black ink that matches my tastes. There are lots of great blue-black inks in the market which are suitable for work, but is anyone aware of any purple-black inks that shade from dark purple to black?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mAnuscript69

• JonSzanto

• stefanv

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You say you've searched high and low, but you don't mention WHAT doesn't match your tastes, or what those tastes are. I also can't tell if you've searched the ink reviews forum for purple and black inks, because there would be choices there.

Anyway, my go-to ink in this range, which is currently in one of the four inked pens on my desk, is Private Reserve Ebony Purple.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

My apologies for not being more specific. PR Ebony purple is probably the closest that I could find after Diamine Grape, and I have a sample on the way from the Goulets. I've also ordered a sample of Noodler's Purple Heart but based on the scans I've seen, it's just a tad too light for professional use.

I'm not overly particular about the ink properties, I just need a dark purple ink for everyday use. Shading would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker. I've read that MontBlanc's Mystery Black has a purplish base but have not tried their inks personally. Can anyone chime in on this?

Noodler's Purple Heart might be worth a try, you'll find out. Private Reserve Tanzanite has been around for a while, and is popular for pens that are a bit stingy with ink flow. Another option is to add a drop or two of black ink to one of these to darken it even more.

You may find Eb. Purp. to be just the ticket. It is about as close to black, while still being purple, as you can get. I think...

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for your advice, Jon. I'll try out the ink samples once it arrives and go from there. You did give me some ideas for mixing inks though. That's something I've yet to try, and this looks to be a good opportunity to do so!

Yeah, I don't go nuts, but something like this, where you are close and just want it closer to black, isn't too hard. When going darker, you only need a small ratio. I usually just use one of the little sample vials, and in this case just a couple drop of black would have a noticeable effect. I have about three 'custom' mixes that I keep on hand. Kinda fun this way.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi.

I would have thought that Diamine Grape would fit the bill, as I found it a tad too dark for my taste.

I haven't tried it but I read somewhere (here, I think) that Diamine Eclipse has a purple cast to it. To me it just looks black.

John

Private Reserve Ebony Purple looks black when used in some pens. It's a very dark purple-black like black with a hint of purple. PR Tanzanite is beautiful but note a purple-black while Noodlers North Africam Violets is an old-style purple with a browny-grey undertone and stunning shading.

Thanks for the responses, I've ordered some samples from the Goulets (those mentioned in this thread).

Right now I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

- Private Reserve Ebony Purple

- Diamine Grape

- Mont Blanc Lavender Purple

I'll update my findings and post some writing samples once my package arrives; probably some time next month :ninja:

Edit: If it's worth noting; I'll be using these inks in a TWSBI 540 and Kaweco Classic Sport (refilled cartridges), both with fine nibs.

Edited by mAnuscript69

Diamine Bilberry (more of a blue purple, but it's very dark)

Diamine Eclipse (black with purple undertones)

Bilberry is too light for work; I've got a sample of Eclipse on the way. :thumbup:

Diamine Damson.

I checked this one out, but settled for Grape instead as it is slightly darker.

Diamine Bilberry (more of a blue purple, but it's very dark)

Diamine Eclipse (black with purple undertones)

Bilberry is too light for work; I've got a sample of Eclipse on the way. :thumbup:

Diamine Damson.

I checked this one out, but settled for Grape instead as it is slightly darker.

In my opinion, Grape isn't that dark. I would say it has the same saturation as Bilberry: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222413-diamine-bilberry/

What nib size or sizes do you use? I always thought of Poussiere de Lune as a dark purple, but it could be too dusky. In the right pen it can shade to black.

I like Diamine Grape too, but you might want to consider the purple black IG ink of FPN member Pharmacist. The iron-gall part is water- and fade-resistant, and that might be an advantage to you.

FPN's Noodlers Dumas Tulipe Noir (as soon as it's available again, hopefully soon). It's a VERY dark purple which requires a bit of diluting to dry quicker but is a lovely dramatic color (see reviews elsewhere)