The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Yard O Led Victorian From 1986

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:57

I recently got a chance to purchase this Victorian from an estate reseller in TN, USA. With the ample assistance of my friend Pelman, I was able to own this one. This pen is quite interesting to me and I will try to show it through some pictures and in the process document this variant on FPN:

Capped:
Posted Image

Open:
Posted Image

The nib unit: I like this style of nib. The flat triangular monotone nib contrats nicely with the silver body and silver trim rings on the section. The cap is secured in a two way action. Friction between the inner cap and the upper section ring and finally the cap lip engages with the lower section ring. The cap is a push fit rather than a snap fit like modern. The section is ribbed for better grip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The older YOLs have an amazing workmanship, the depth of the work on this piece is amazing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A cleanly struck "Made in England" stamp:
Posted Image

Cap Hallmarks: The Lion Mark indicates Sterling silver, The leopard head indicates that the finished pen was assayed by the London assay office.
Posted Image

The barrel hallmarks: Maker mark, Sterling Silver, London Assay Office, assayed in 1986 (M). The London assay office does not provide a date letter guide, however post 1975 all assay offices follow an uniform date letter code : link, so the Birmingham assay office information is valid in this case.
Posted Image

The pen ends on this pen are sharp and flat, not domed like the modern counterparts:
Posted Image

The pen came in a red velvet covered metal snap box with two papers:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This sticker is placed underneath the box, perhaps the model number of the pen at that time?
Posted Image

A comparison shot with a 1999 Victorian Grand with a writing sample in the background.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope this comparison was useful.

Cheers!
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 13:30

very interesting fp, thanks for the review(although i would have liked to read more about the actual writing performance).

Edited by rochester21, 21 October 2012 - 13:32.

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 13:45

very interesting fp, thanks for the review(although i would have liked to read more about the actual writing performance).

Thanks! Actually this review is more in continuation of my previous YOL reviews documenting their somewhat older FPs.

This was a used pen and need some work. The pen was full of dried ink, so a major cleaning was involved, the nib met with a mishap while I was setting up the pen(never work on pens at 1am !!) but at the end of the day, I could make the pen write well as can be seen in the writing sample.

The nib is quite springy, it is a 14Ct nib unit, the pens that I have seen from 1992 onwards have the 18C conventionally shaped nibs.

Hope this helps.

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:23

It did. I'd seen the older black sections, but I've never until now seen a nib like this. :notworthy1:

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:06

I'd seen the older black sections, but I've never until now seen a nib like this. :notworthy1:

Yes, I had been chasing ones with these kind of nibs on ebay for a while.

#6 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:04

Posted Image

#7 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 14:43

A very nice comparison Hari. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You know I had that pen with me for a almost a month. I hadn't picked up some of the details you mentioned and of course the nib is completely different from the other YOLs. I didn't appreciate the pen as much as I do after reading your review and now I can't see the darn pen in person. :bonk:

As ususal lovely photography.

#8 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 20:59

great pen and very interesting review!congrats :notworthy1:
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#9 Horseknitter

Horseknitter

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2012 - 23:41

Have you thought about selling them yet? Keep my name in mind! :thumbup:

#10 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:25

Hari, you're killing me with all your YOL pictures!!

Umm, more? LOL

#11 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:33

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:40

Posted Image

A very nice comparison Hari. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You know I had that pen with me for a almost a month. I hadn't picked up some of the details you mentioned and of course the nib is completely different from the other YOLs. I didn't appreciate the pen as much as I do after reading your review and now I can't see the darn pen in person. :bonk:

As ususal lovely photography.

Thanks Abhik, Pelman.

great pen and very interesting review!congrats :notworthy1:

Thanks!

Have you thought about selling them yet? Keep my name in mind! :thumbup:

I might never sell this one. I have now enough older ones so the ones I bought brand new last year or so will be up for sale soon.

Hari, you're killing me with all your YOL pictures!!
Umm, more? LOL

:)

nice review and pics!
thanks!

Thanks!

Best
Hari

#13 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:21

What a pen!!!
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:18

What a pen!!!

absolutely! :)

#15 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:09

looks nice :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#16 pennymann

pennymann

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 17:16

Hi,
This was the first fountain pen we made . Both these pens look as though they have hardly been used. The
pattern is as crisp as it was when it was first made.

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 17:44

Hi,
This was the first fountain pen we made . Both these pens look as though they have hardly been used. The
pattern is as crisp as it was when it was first made.

very nice to know that these were the early FPs made. Thank you.

#18 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:03

Who produced those nibs? That looks a lot like Montblanc work of those years.

#19 pennymann

pennymann

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:34

This pen was made for YOL by a London pen company which went bust years ago. I think most nib units were
German or Swiss .
I had forgotten that this model had been chased and it would have been done by a London chaser.
As they could only do small numbers I would say this pen is quite rare, we never sold many of these
anyway. An excellent find.

#20 Historyguy

Historyguy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:30

Thanks for the information pennyman and Hari.  I have one of these as well (acquired via E-bay last year and I'm going to be posting a review in a few days) but in the barley pattern.  It's a delightful pen and different to the later ones I have.

Edited by Historyguy, 28 August 2019 - 05:40.

Sponsored Content

|