The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Review: A Serwex & A Sailor

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 isildur

isildur

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:47

Hello All,
In a happy coincidence, two fountain pens from Asia arrived on the same day. These pens are the results of totally different manufacturing (and cultural) processes and I thought it will be nice to see them side by side. I apologize for the picture quality but I hope it is still worth a few hundred (if not thousand) words.

The first Pen is Serwex 162 Produced in India and I bought it from fountain pen revolution. http://www.fountainp...0Lots.html#lots It is a piston filler with the piston mechanism being a little too tight for my liking but a little silicone grease kinda made it smooth.

Looks: Very Rustic .
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg

Nib: It says Iridium point. I would be surprised if that were true for the price. But some discussion in these forums point that it might be true. The nib seems softer than typical steel nibs. I would say it writes about the same width as a Japanese F.
IMG_0586.jpg

Writing Sample: The nib is surprisingly smooth. I do not know if I was lucky but it did write smoother than my Pilot 78 G (F,M) my Hero pens and comparable to my Faber-Castell Ondoro. It is real smooth. I haven't had any skipping yet but I cannot comment on the durability over time.

IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg

The other pen today is Sailor Somiko with TIGP nib (which is essentially a steel nib with gold plating). It is probably not the apex of Sailor's nibmeistery but a good pen at its right price point nonetheless.

Looks: Very Japanese (with black color and Golden trims) . It is slimmer than the sailor profit and light.
IMG_0575.jpg

Nib: It is a TGIP nib. I got myself EF. It writes really fine but it is nonetheless little toothy. I do not know if after a break-in period it will become more smooth but to put it in perspective, the experience is similar to writing with my pilot 78 G (F) for the first time. There is some scratchiness but nothing greatly annoying and I would say I am satisfied.
IMG_0577.jpg

Writing Sample:
IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
This is not a Sailor Zoom nib and my attempts to emulate a Zoom nib should not be taken seriously.

I hope I was able to add something new in this post to two known pens. I apologize for the grainy pics.

Thank you!!

Edited by isildur, 20 October 2012 - 23:51.

“silence is the language of god,
all else is poor translation.”
Rumi

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|