Jinhao 159 Converter Problem

NewPenMan

After I unscrewed the two brass halves of the converter a half turn, and

screwed them back together a couple times to insure the threads are aligned,

I tighteded the connection very finger-snug. I gave the entire converter a

full twist, while pushing, to insure a good seat.

I filled and expelled the ink three times. The third time, I filled and

ejected two drops, then drew in air.

I just wrote a weekend letter of three pages, on 8 x 11 paper. No skips.

No drips. Perfect function. The three pages used nearly half the ink in

the converter. It is, indeed, a wet writer.

The heavy, unposted pen settles nicely into my small hand.

I am going to order another, so I will be sure to have a Jinhao 159 for

the rest of my obsessive life.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• Sasha Royale

• Helen350

• Kublai Khan

Am posting a bit late in June 2016. This exact same pen with the same shoddy converter replicated is being sold in India under the Reynolds (US brand) name, for about $12 US. I have a black one and the same converter issues. It's a very cheap quality converter, which is really a shame. In India, I was told this pen is meant mainly as a signature pen and not a writer. I am going to have to look for a good converter myself, or else just use cartridges. See pen photo below..

Sorry, the photo didn't load in my earlier post. Here it is. The Reynolds pen.post-130513-0-41235300-1466231542_thumb.jpeg

Wouldn't a standard international converter, such as the Schmidt K5, work in these? I have one in my x750 and it works great. You can pick up a K5 for about $5 or so if you look around.

Hi Folks,

Over the past few weeks, I've ordered a million (OK, not exactly a million) made-in-China pens. Mainly, Jinhaos. Dang, wished I'd learned earlier how great these pens are.

Anyway, ordered some extra converters. Yep, the cheapest I could find. Yesterday, decided I would order what I understand are the best/good Jinhao converters. Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131489646726?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Best regards,

George

PS. OK, maybe a silly question. Do any of you collect, accumumlate, hoard the 159? If so, what's the attraction? I got in my first and really like it. OK, fess-up...... I have a MB149 I rarely use. Go figure..... Am now using the 159.

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

PS. OK, maybe a silly question. Do any of you collect, accumumlate, hoard the 159? If so, what's the attraction? I got in my first and really like it. OK, fess-up...... I have a MB149 I rarely use. Go figure..... Am now using the 159.

A silly question it is, as I really like the 159 as well. I have two black, two purple and a silver one.

I really like how they look and how they write.

Recently, I always have a 159 and/or a X750 in my rotation.

I have five Jinhao 159s - Purple, Black, Yellow, Orange & Red. Overall the Jinhao nibs are proving to be smooth writers (for a steel nib). I like the girth of the pen, and how surprisingly comfortable it feels when writing with one of them. They always attract attention when I pull one out of my purse, and provides me with additional opportunities to share my love of fountain pens, for those who have expressed an interest. I find that the men like the black 159, and the women are attracted to the purple, orange & red pens.

Purple? When did that memo go out and why wasn't I on the list?

It is a pretty purple. Here is a snap of mine..Sorry you did not get the 'memo' (LOL)

fpn_1466362575__jinhao159purple.jpg

Purple? When did that memo go out and why wasn't I on the list?

An arrow was shot, but apparently didn't land in your pagan backyard.

post-27427-0-85380300-1466374906_thumb.jpg

in realtime, the purple is darker.

Hi again,

To those who responded to my, Why 159s? Thanks for your comments, however, you folks are now enablers!

Yes, just placed an order for black, orange, and blue (I have red).

Helen, really like the purple but they are all listed for almost eight bucks. Yes, I know, what's a couple of bucks? Anyway, offered to buy one at $5.00. Hope they accept my offer.

Best regards,

George

Edited by george c

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

An arrow was shot, but apparently didn't land in your pagan backyard.

jinhao 1.jpg

in realtime, the purple is darker.

Just went and ordered one.

If an arrow was loosed, need a ballista to cope with the winds of West Texas. Not too sure how I'd feel about a bolt like that landing in the yard though...

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't a standard international converter, such as the Schmidt K5, work in these? I have one in my x750 and it works great. You can pick up a K5 for about $5 or so if you look around.

Apparently, only Waterman converters fit. So I got me one. Fits the Jinhao 159 perfectly. Life is good again.

Apparently, only Waterman converters fit. So I got me one. Fits the Jinhao 159 perfectly. Life is good again.

So much for standard international being "standard." :)

• 2 weeks later...

With a pen that has a large feed like the 159, if the feed is empty what you do is make sure there is enough ink in the bottle to cover the entire feed then suck up as much as you can with the converter, then screw the converter down to expel all the ink, then up again to fill the converter. The second time you fill the converter the feed is full, so all the ink in it goes into the converter.

It is a pretty purple. Here is a snap of mine..Sorry you did not get the 'memo' (LOL)

fpn_1466362575__jinhao159purple.jpg

The purple is not for sale in Canada. It does not appear on Canadian ebay and the US ebay says they do not ship to Canada.

The purple is not for sale in Canada. It does not appear on Canadian ebay and the US ebay says they do not ship to Canada.

That is odd :wacko: I checked also, and in the list of countries they ship to, for sure, Canada was not one of them. All the other colors but purple. This does not make sense. So sorry. Wish I could get one to you..