Pelikan M1005 Demonstrator

dragon666

Hi guys,

This is my first real review. Background: I'm trying to convert the world to using fountain pens. I believe in 10-20 yrs, the faithful pen will be gone due to advancing technology (computers and touch devices etc) and so too will the art of handwriting (for the majority that is). I have only been collecting fountain pens for 3 years.

The pens I own:

1. TWSBI 540 (x2) - love these to bits in every way

2. Lamy 2000 (x2) - but one snapped in half as I was writing (the makralon one)

3. Pelikan M600 white tortoise - just decadent if not a little light in weight

4. Kaweco sport ice - fantastic nib for a cheap pen

5. Parker 21 (NOS) - a piece of (bleep)

6. Waterman Kultur - great every day pen

7. Pilot Prera - a little too small

8. Pilot 78G - great every day pen

9. Jinhao Naranja - an excellent Chinese pen for $10

10. Graf Von Faber Castell Intuition - overpriced, terrible nib out of the box, tweaked to death and is okay to write with.

I was initially drawn to the MB149 due to a work colleague who collects them. The weight felt beautiful and the medium nib felt great. Wanted to get one for myself but could'nt find one new for less than $1000 and second hand for less than $500. My search led me to the M1005 which is the same size but much cheaper. As I love my M600 so much and reading that the M1005 was of even higher standard, I bit the bullet and bought my clear demonstrator from Martina Regini on eBay. She was good to deal with.

post-49148-0-40982200-1350286616.jpg

I have compared the M1005 to the TWSBI 540 because they are similar in size, piston fillers and have similar weight. Ink used: NAMIKI BLUE

post-49148-0-95799000-1350286746.jpg

First impressions:

- Fat pen, great girth, perfect size. You think the 540 was big, this is the size of a woman's lipstick

- Same length as TWSBI 540 when capped

- Weight is substantial but very balanced even when posted. I've read that some say it is too back heavy due to the brass piston mechanism. This is not the case for me. Perhaps they hold the pen too close to the nib.

- The rhodium highlights are gorgeous. Every line and join is perfect. The finish is flawless. Without knowing the price, you know this is a Rolls Royce

- The nib is big and highly polished. Its been called a spade by many, but I think it is the perfect size.

post-49148-0-50000500-1350285828.jpg

Feel:

- Its a big pen. You won't forget it in your pocket.

- Cap opening - super smooth and tight, 360 degrees revolution to cap and uncap - perfect

- Piston filling - firm, lots of feedback, but again super smooth.

- The clear plastic is also very smooth and flawless and in the month that I have used the pen daily it appears very scratch resistant

post-49148-0-70179100-1350284852.jpg

post-49148-0-48063300-1350285418.jpg

Writing:

- This is the smoothest pen I have ever used. Before this, it was the TWSBI 540 (always silky smooth out of the box, I've bought 5 altogether). My M600 (F) does not come close

- Flexes - my first flexy pen, I love it. Even when you press firmly and the tines separate widely, the ink line stays a consistent size.

- Quite wet to what I am used to but not too wet. Ink drys relatively quickly, at least by the time you finish writing a line.

- The M nib to me feels quite broad (and I don't use a lot of pressure), but I love it. The rest of my pens are F nibs and so this is a lovely change.

Overall:

Before this pen, the TWSBI 540 was my favourite pen. The M600 was a little disappointing because the nib had to be tweaked to get a nice result. All my other cheap <$25 pens are great.

But this M1005 is a work of art. I am so glad I bought this over the M149. It was half the price and I believe it may surpass the M149.

The M1005 is by far the best pen in my collection and will probably stay in my family for generations hopefully.

More photos:

post-49148-0-68842700-1350286126.jpg

post-49148-0-50000500-1350285828.jpg

post-49148-0-35459300-1350287006.jpg

post-49148-0-27941200-1350287050.jpg

post-49148-0-83222600-1350287122.jpg

Edited by dragon666

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragon666

• jandrese

• amberleadavis

• humsin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dragon666,

Loved your review, especially because you do a great job of explaining your background, so it is easier for us to know why you like what you like.

The pen seems superb, pity that it flies much higher than my current budget allows...

Hi Dragon666,

Loved your review, especially because you do a great job of explaining your background, so it is easier for us to know why you like what you like.

The pen seems superb, pity that it flies much higher than my current budget allows...

I'm slowly but surely winning the war and pushing back the tide. I have this year already converted at least 10 people at work to using AND loving fountain pens. If they each convert someone they know to using fountain pens.... It could become a revival/revolution. I hope so.

I have also converted 5 of my relatives too.

:thumbup:

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Good review. Interesting that the nib is so flexy. To me this is the most beautiful pen. I would never pay its price though.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hi Dragon--thanks for the very nice review. Your pix make the 1005 look just wonderful and desirable. So much so, in fact, that I tried to track down Regina's prices for a 1005, and had some trouble finding them. How did you get one form her?

Thank you!

Chris

I found Regina on eBay. I didn't even know who she was. Just lucky i guess because she only had three pens on for sale (two other ones not M1005). After I bought my pen, I went back and Regina had no more pens for sale. I think that she only uses eBay to supplement her normal business. Might be worth giving her an email. She is lovely to deal with.

I feel very very lucky to have obtained an M1005 (and for such an amazing price ) because they don't make them any more. It was one of those "meant to be" things.

If you truly like the M1005, I would get hold of one ASAP. They will be gone soon and hold their value in the long term. Considering buying another one and keeping it in the box to mature like a nice wine.

Haha. Used to be into SLR but have found that my $200 Lumix DMC-TZ7 handhled does everything very well, even panoramic wide angles. These photos were taken in moderate light on my dining table in macro mode.

No lighting setup other than an 8w energy saving bulb drop down lamp over my dining table.

Only in the photo of the feeder, I used an LED torch from behind the pen to improve the highlight on the polished nib.

The rest, I pointed and the camera did the rest. I'll not go back to SLR again.

Edited by dragon666

Nice review and pics, thanks. I also have one of these and love it. Hope be your future generations will have and USE this pen.

What nib do you have and how do you find it?

Nice review and pics, thanks. I also have one of these and love it. Hope be your future generations will have and USE this pen.

What nib do you have and how do you find it?

I have one with a medium nib, and another with a fine nib. Please see this post for a review of these two. Cheers!

Wow. That's a beauty!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY