Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

OK here goes. wink.gif

Short bio, hm, well, I've been working in the mental health field for the past 27 years, most recently specializing in alcohol and drug treatment. I work in a small public hospital on a unit with adult patients. Used to work with adolescents, but realized I was getting crazier than them and shifted out.

I have frequent and rapid shifts of interest, but currently they are: cigars, pipes and tobacco, a return to photography, an intellectual interest in gardening, cooking, reading (fiction, bios and non-fictrion not so much), (aside: Ian McEwan is the most amazing author I've come across in a long time!), and, of course, pens.

Started with a Waterman 52 I found at an antique mall, have now scoured all the readily available antique shops and have decided that fountain pens were never very popular in Utah, or they've all been collected! I've decided that currently I'm an accumulator, not a collector. :eureka:

Now perhaps I'll get to explore stationery...... :sm_cat:

Dear Psyktek, I too am an accumulator. To date I have accumulated over a hundred pens, the only common thread being that I liked them. I hope you are still active on FPN because I think it would be a pleasure to correspond with you. I agree about Ian McEwan. I'd be hard pressed to name my favorite work of his, maybe ON CHESIL BEACH. I'm relatively new to FPN and have just started exploring the catacombs where I found your post.

Hope I am not too late to make your acquaintance,

Honey (yes real name)

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone!

I actually posted here (or at least on a similar thread) a couple of years ago, and made a few great friends. I am looking for a couple more pen pals, so here I am again....

I am a female in my early 40's, married, no human kids. I have a spoiled kitty named Amelie, who is like my baby (you are looking at her- my profile pic.) I love reading good books, listening to almost all kind of music, playing computer games, taking random pics, traveling, and so on. I work as a flight attendant, which is a perfect job for me, since I love to travel and I get bored easily with routine. I travel even more whenever I have time off LOL. I live in Philadelphia, PA, USA. Fox, incidentally, is my favorite animal.

I am especially looking forward to hearing from people who are in other parts of the world. I love learning about different ways of life, perspectives.... Please MP me if interested.

Best regards, Nana (flyingfox)

Hi stringsandpedals,

I don't know your age but back in the days there was something called "Aerogramme" made of slightly blue paper with the blue-white-red airmail branding around it and it was only a sheet of paper to be folded exactly like you do it. It was pretty cheap to ship and safe because everybody knew that there's nothing valuable in it. However, some people struggle to open it on the correct side :-) I used Aerogramms when I was travelling in Asia back in the 90s.

Ileach

Good lord! So that's what they were called! I remember seeing some when I was a kid! I knew I'd seen the sort of folded letter before when I saw the one she sent me.

round-letter-exc.png

I used these all the time in the old days to send letters to Europe from the USA. I have a couple of pen pals now where we write letters , scan them, and attach them to email. I have a huge stamp collection so I know about stamps but the convenience of using an email attachment make more sense for me.

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in getting a Pen Pal. I am 28 year old. I love travel, movies, books and being outdoors. I am also a large animal lover although I do not have animals quite yet.

I am newer to fountain pens and have only started using them in the last 18 months, but have loved every minute of it. I am interested in writing to people who have all different experiences. Feel free to message me if you are looking for a pen pal!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in getting a Pen Pal. I am 28 year old. I love travel, movies, books and being outdoors. I am also a large animal lover although I do not have animals quite yet.

I am newer to fountain pens and have only started using them in the last 18 months, but have loved every minute of it. I am interested in writing to people who have all different experiences. Feel free to message me if you are looking for a pen pal!

Hi Emily,

I am 28, I am quite new to fountain pens, although I have used a lot of disposable ones during my studies. I love the feeling of fountain pens. I love to travel, I travel a bit with my job, movies (mainly blockbusters) books and training. I think we might have a lot in common, if you are interested in sharing thoughts with a Canadian, contact me for my address and so on!

Hi all,

Before buying any more pens, I need to find a good reason to actually use them, some pen pals would come in handy. Would love to correspond in Russian. Am equally fluent in English and German, but can also read some Spanish. Am a 48-year-old female living near London, husband, two kids, 2-3 cats. Working p/t in the education sector, as well as volunteering in my local library. Practice yoga, just taken up running and keen Bridge player.

Any Russian native speaker who wants to improve their English/German/Spanish? All other nationalities welcome, too, btw :-)

I am here, my new pen is here, my new ink is here and some nice writing paper is here. And outside it's again torrential rain. Guess what? I'd like to write you a letter. Let me know if you want to exchange some thoughts with an editor and photographer, music-lover and traveller. Said to be not stiupid ;-) English or German.

Support your local post office - write letters!

Hi folks!

As you can probably guess, I'm interested in sending and receiving letters also! I'm 28, I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and I work in a small, family-owned (but not my family) greeting card store. I'm also a fencing instructor and a musician (both mostly for fun and because I love them, though I do make a little money at them from time to time.) I play the flute, mandolin, bagpipes, and a variety of other instruments, I love music of almost all kinds, though I'm deeply in love with jazz right now.

I also love literature, I'm reading a biography of Cicero right now that I can't put down, and I'm pretty much always in the middle of re-reading one or more Tolkien book. (My fiancée and I are taking turns reading The Silmarillion out loud to each other before bed lately.)

My other interests are varied, I try to have something worthwhile to say on most subjects and if I don't, I'm interested in learning!

I've had FPN pen pals before with varying degrees of success, but I'm always interested in trying again!

Each man delights in the work that suits him best.

-The Odyssey - Homer

Hi! I would love to exchange a few letters with someone.

I am 37 and married. I live in Spokane, WA. I love to read, and listen to music. I'm a pet person. Interested in philosophy and spirituality. I also enjoy movies, tv, and Game of Thrones. I enjoy following politics and current events.

I've gotten into foutain pens slowly over the past couple of years, and am now in well over my head. I came to pens by way of the shaving community over at Badger and Blade, which is my other hobby.

I would welcome correspondence from anywhere in the world, or just down the street. I'll warn you that aside from a smattering of Homeric Greek, I only know english. Oh, and my handwriting is not spectacular, but it should be legible.

If anyone wants to exchange at least a couple letters, send me a private message to exchange letters.

C'ya in the funny papers.

Little bio paragraph:

I live in Brooklyn, and work in Manhattan, and have lived in NYC all my life; what I'm likely to write about are snippets of life in the city, musings over singing and performance, from all sides (performing, watching, tech prep), with the occasional wanders into goofiness, and profundity.

Oh, and the occasional rants -- which rise and subside quickly. I Have Opinions.

Me, too, but I don't yet know how to work the FPN system. That's why I use pens on paper. Help!

Edited by drjmb

Hi all.

I'm interested in meeting new people and gaining great friends through letter writing so here I am.

I'm a 25 year old grad student in the Philippines. I'm interested in books, movies, anime, Kdramas, KPOP, western TV shows such as GOT (You know nothing Jon Snow. After 6 seasons, you still know nothing), etc., and travel. I've always loved fountain pens because I've always loved writing instruments and I got into the hobby when I learned from a fellow enthusiast in the Philippines that there were modern FPs that could be had at low prices.

If anybody is interested in becoming penpals, feel free to message me. I'm looking forward to it.

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people that have come alive.

-Howard Thurman

I am here, my new pen is here, my new ink is here and some nice writing paper is here. And outside it's again torrential rain. Guess what? I'd like to write you a letter. Let me know if you want to exchange some thoughts with an editor and photographer, music-lover and traveller. Said to be not stiupid ;-) English or German.

I have several correspondents, but none from Germany or anywhere on the Continent. I neither speak nor write Deutsch, but it looks like your English is very good, so we could correspond in that.

I see from your profile that you are an admirer of Beethoven. I love his music, too. I grew up with classical music in the home and studied it in piano and band; although my musical tastes have expanded somewhat over the years, I still listen to Classical, some Baroque, Modern (in the "classical" sense), etc.

If you would like to exchange at least one or two letters to see if we are both interested in a continuing campaign, PM me. I look forward to hearing from you!

Quickly wanted to let those of you that haven't gotten a reply to their most recent letters yet that I haven't forgotten about you. Things have been a little crazy in Amsterdam lately. I was accepted at the school I tried to get into and now I'm in the process of trying to find a new apartment, which is a bit of a hassle. You WILL(!) get a reply soon, though, as soon as I've had a little time to sit down and breathe and write.

For all my other PPs: I HOPE TO BY SENDING YOU MY NEW ADDRESS SOON, FINGERS CROSSED!

Have time for a couple more "snailies". Prefer people who have been consistently corresponding for at least 3 years. Have been writing letter for over 50 years and have learned that maybe 5% of people can carry on a correspondence for more than just a few letters and maybe another 5% for up to 2 years.

Must have interests in something besides pens, ink and paper. I do not write about these. I assume you already know about them if you're using fountain pens. Personally, I don't care in you use fountain pen, ball point, rollerball, pencil, crayon or a typewriter. It's the content that's important.

Please read bio before sending pm.

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a 15 year old sophomore in the US. I've been writing with Fountain pens ever since I was about in 2nd grade. I've went to school in Japan for 2 years and I enjoy Japanese culture a lot (I.e. History, Anime, Music, etc.). I'm going to school in the US this year so if anyone's interested, send me a PM as I have a good amount of free time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have time for one or two more penpals, anyone interested please send PM.

Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software License Agreement.

In the end, you ignore everything and click "I Agree".

flying-letter-exc.png

Have time for a couple more "snailies". Prefer people who have been consistently corresponding for at least 3 years. Have been writing letter for over 50 years and have learned that maybe 5% of people can carry on a correspondence for more than just a few letters and maybe another 5% for up to 2 years.

Must have interests in something besides pens, ink and paper. I do not write about these. I assume you already know about them if you're using fountain pens. Personally, I don't care in you use fountain pen, ball point, rollerball, pencil, crayon or a typewriter. It's the content that's important.

Please read bio before sending pm.

Hello Yeslamnotiamnit,

If your schedule is not already filled I would like to correspond with you, maybe more than a few letters. I enjoy sharing ideas with people with strong opinions particularly when they don't correspond to my own.

I am

Honey Harrison

harrisonhoney1@gmail.com

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I originally posted here, so I figured I'd toss a refreshed profile back into the mix.

I'm a 42-year-old married female living in the US. Extremely introverted in person, but far more voluble in writing. Nerdy, childless by choice (though I adore my niece!), liberal, tolerant, agnostic. I have loved cats and books and pens for over thirty years now, so I don't fancy that is going to change any time soon. I also love geeky genre TV, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, iZombie, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, etc. I have been known to play Mad-Libs with penpals. Lamentably, I am only fluent in English, though I can read and write a tiny bit of Japanese.

Send a PM if you're interested!