Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

I just finished my first snail to an FPNer and enjoyed the experience, so I thought I'd add my name here.

I'm Sonia, I live in Denver, Colorado and head a team of writers for a travel company. My great passion right now is my little boy, who just turned one. Once in awhile I can be persuaded to talk/write about other things, including gardening, books, travel, friendship, cooking, eating, history, writing, language, these dreaded fountain pens, or surprise me with something you're doing and I'll try to keep up.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in

Never wanted to correspond much when I was a kid. But these days I don't get as much time with my pen collection as I'd like.

-ian

Reading, Berks United Kingdom

willing to correspond anywhere

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in!

I'm an amature at pens, although I've loved fountain ones since I was in primary school. Right now I have 3, and am waiting for one more to arrive in the mail. So far all Watermans.

I'm a mommy of 3 little children, married to a yummy guy, and work full time managing intellectual property for research institutes in Singapore.

Am thrilled to have found this forum! :)

Edited by Lillight

Morning is a little child, waking from a dream; Noontime is a yellow cat, licking yellow cream;

Afternoon's a honeybee, on a honey quest; Evening is a soft grey dove, winging home to nest.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've rediscovered the fountain pen this Summer I've written a dozen letters to friends and family. Only my mother has actually written me back via the United States Post Office, but she's good like that. Mostly I've gotten e-mails entitled "Got Your Letter", which cracks me up.

I'd love to correspond with someone who uses an actual fountain pen.

I'm married, going on 45, and I live in Austin, Texas. I have an interest in the past in general and the objects that have survived their original owners. I do like actually using the antiques I collect, whether it's an old phone, a typewriter, a hat or a fountain pen. Even the books I read are often 75 years old.

I wait tables in a 24 hr. restaurant (no, not Denny's) on the graveyard shift, so I get to see humanity at its very best.

So, yeah. Drop me a line!

Vida (Ringtop)

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

-- Jane Austen, letter from December 24 1798

• 3 weeks later...

I love to receive real mail. there is info about me in my profile. I am including my email here for ease. I'll be glad to tell you more about myself by email and you can decide if you want to do the real thing. I always answer real mail as well as email.

curtisvan@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing pleases me more than a personal note or letter among all the junk mail in my mail box so I'd like to add myself to the Snail Mail Writing List.

Here's a brief bio: I'm a retired music teacher. My husband is retired, too. We have three grown daughters and two grandchildren - a boy who is 9 and a 4 year old girl. Two years ago my husband and I decided to turn our two acre place into a hobby farm. We have three Peruvian Paso horses that we thoroughly enjoy taking care of. Also have a sweet barn cat.

Besides the animals, my other hobbies are reading, writing, and rubber stamping - and of course, fountain pens. :P

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I am brand new as well and would love to participate.

I am 35, live in Los Angeles, work in the aerospace industry. I participate and moderate a message board about the Golden Era and classic style.

I live in part of an old victorian house.

hmmm I suppose anything else can be answered in PM or a letter if one is curious.

Denise

I am brand new as well and would love to participate.

I am 35, live in Los Angeles, work in the aerospace industry. I participate and moderate a message board about the Golden Era and classic style.

I live in part of an old victorian house.

hmmm I suppose anything else can be answered in PM or a letter if one is curious.

Denise

Wolfmonk

I would love to participate! I am 39 and live in Detroit. I have a large old house that is a DIY home fixer-upper's dream. I'm not one of those, so the dream has qualities more akin to nightmares for me. I have two dogs, one of whom can be seen to the left, with her dirty mug. I can't say I love my job, but I do love HAVING a job as it keeps me from having to live in my truck. I like to camp, hike and read. I have no TV and I don't want one.

I'd welcome a pm if you're so inclined!

Bona Na Croin

Count me in and check me out! (librarian humor)

I'd love to receive "real" mail, and I'd like the opportunity to practice writing back. One of the reasons I'm rediscovering FPs is that my regular printed handwriting is atrocious, so I'm trying to re-train myself to write in cursive. I really like using a nice pen to do that, as it slows me down and makes me appreciate the flow of the writing. Don't expect any Palmer-script masterpieces, but I'll do my darndest to write back in a timely fashion.

As intimated above, I'm a reference librarian at a public library in Tulsa. I've lived most of my life in Topeka, KS, but my roots are in MN and NoDak, and I lived in St. Paul for four years while getting my Masters in Library Science.

My main hobby is reading, mostly fantasy and horror, some SF, mystery and other things. My tastes are eclectic and voracious. Last year I tracked my reading, and I averaged about a book every two days.

I'm eclectic in my other hobbies, too, including yo-yo play, crochet, knitting, drawing, and photography.

I hope to hear from some of you! Thank you, Tytyvyllus for putting this together.

Professional librarian and yo-yo expert

Way back when I was a freshman in college, one of my friends from high school used to write me *actual letters*. Being a computer science major, I thought it was pretty weird, and never wrote an actual letter back (kept in touch, just not with pen&paper).

Now that I've realized how horrible e-mail is for personal communication, I get the other side -- I send letters to people, and they never write back!

So, I'm game for a penpal or three. Between family (wonderful wife of 8 years, beautiful two-year-old daughter, another daughter on the way), working (computer networks, system support), and school (finally finishing my BS, getting ready for an MS program), I don't have a ton of time. I'll do my best to keep up though!

I'm a pretty weird guy, so I like pretty weird things. I like some artsy-type stuff, but more for their utilitarian use than for just looking pretty; for example, I like knowing how to fold a wallet or an envelope out of a piece of paper, but I'm not much into paper swans. I like knots and ropework. I enjoy quality paper and writing instruments, and I actively seek out quality products at low prices. I've recently become interested in bookbinding. I enjoy reading other people's notes; I like seeing what they found interesting enough to write down, the way they format their page.

I work with computers because I enjoy them so much -- it's more of a hobby for which I somehow manage to get paid to do. I enjoy programming (Python is the language du jour), networking, and learning new ways to use computers. I'm a command-line nut, and work mostly with Windows. My research focus right now is neural networks.

I guess that should be a pretty good start. I look forward to hearing from you!

T.J.

I've just discovered this forum. I think this is a grand idea. The last 'personal' paper letter I received was something like over 10 years ago. Let's see how if it works this time.

My name is Born. I'm teaching in England. I used to work professionally as an architect, but has turned academic relatively recently. My interests are painting, drawing, reading, playing the classical guitar, 40s-50s music, and ballroom dancing. I also have an on-line art gallery which people have kindly dedicated for me. Naturally, my life is centred around my students which I personally find quite interesting and often rewarding.

Thing is my life is probably not one of the most interesting, and after all these years of neglecting them I'm not sure if I will be good at writing letters. But I will try my best if someone is willing. At least, you can be sure that all your letters will be answered! :)

Thank you.

Born

Edited by born t

Born

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I am interested in exchanging snail mail. I am 37, married, and have two sons. I grew up in upstate New York and now live in Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. I have been using fountain pens for about 15 years now. I am also interested in photography, books, history, and sports. I am usually very good about returning letters.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I brag endlessly about my sons, and I am a lawyer. But, as to the first, it is never in a "my kids are better than others" sort of way, and, as to the second, I know many, many lawyer jokes. Actually, there are only two lawyer jokes; the rest are true.

I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was delighted recently to receive a friendly invitation from a fellow FPN member to exchange letters.

This struck me as being the perfect bonus of membership----an opportunity to USE the articles of our affection for their intended purpose (well, one of them, I suppose; as I clearly remember my father using a fountain pen as a tool in his clerk's job for book-keeping as well as for letter-writing).

I would, therefore, like to add my name to this list.

To give a brief outline of "me", I'll list what comes to mind now:

-50--increasingly physically challenged, but wiser and happier by the day!

-science background at school and university, but also keen on learning languages and subject areas "new" to me, as introduced by our three sons (our youngest is constantly making profound comments and questioning everything as he embarks on psychology and philosophy studies!)

-animals--I love animals-- I couldn't harm one, except fleas, worms and mites!

(as a vegetarian I must also confess that I've come to terms with feeding my dogs and cats meat, and the ducks earthworms!)

-walking- there is nowhere I would rather be than out in the hills and dales with my husband (and children and partners if they can be persuaded to join us).

My husband and I have done most of the Pennine Way this year.

-gardening

-music---most sorts, including our youngest's drumming in his metal/rock band

-used to teach at primary level---now full-time at home

-enjoy ballroom dancing, though we are rather rusty!

-knitting---my other addiction!

Just realised this was supposed to be brief, so I'd better leave it at that on here!

Walter's daughter (Angela)

-

"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young

I'm in! I'm just a regular ol' college student that likes to write: letters/journal entries are at the top of the list. I don't lead a very exciting life, but I can embellish if you'd like! :)

ibtuten / Ian

I wouldn't mind the occasional letter - gotta be better than the usual bills! :P

Anyway, a bit about me; Male, soon to be 50 years old. Married 27 years as of yesterday, October 13th. My sonderful wife is a teacher - she teaches kindergarten, and I'm usually jealous of her job. I have a 16 year old daughter who I adore and spoil rotten, but she's a really good kid despite that. A bit too much like me though! She has a 3 year old mutt that adores her, but tolerates me :)

I want a dog! :) I had one, but she died at the age of 13 (she was a yellow lab, golden retriever mix - awesome dog. Not too bright but the best disposition I've ever seen, and I've had a LOT of dogs!). Bummer, but I have an eye open for another good one.

I am an electronics engineer for a startup company (dynamotors.com if you are interested), and have just re-discovered the joy of actual writing. I have a professional journal at work, but that's a given for any decent engineer, which I consider myself to be. Also just started a personal journal, and since I am a coach, I keep a journal on the kids I coach.

Oh yeah, coaching - I coach kids bowling, all ages from 5 to late teens. Basically, if you can pick up a ball, I will teach you to bowl! I love doing that, and wish I could make a living from it! The kids give me back much more than I could ever give them.

I am also pretty active in my church (St Gabriel, Concord, Ohio) in the youth programs.

So, if anyone wants to exchange snails, PM me!

TIA

Mike

Sure, sounds like fun -- add me to the list. :-)

I work with computers most of the time (network engineering for the University here); I spend enough time in front of a screen pushing bits around that a real pen and paper is a nice change of pace.

Cheers,

-Chris

A handwritten blog (mostly)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Count me in too, please!

I'm 42 years old and for the first 38 years lived in the US. Then I met a fascinating Englishman (online of all places - and by Hamlet of all people!), got married and moved here to Cheshire!

Back in the US I spent many, many years doing theatre and my last job there was as Artistic Director of a touring children's theatre. Over here I am the Office Manager for a hospice and I love it!

My interests include theatre, reading (a lot of historical biography, mystery), history and archaology, Islay and the fine whiskies made there (a real 'hands on' - or should that be 'taste buds on' interest :D ), FPs, animals. My husband and I have started kayaking lessons - he's much better than I am. He's dabbling in white water kayaking and I'm happiest just paddling around the lake we learn in! :rolleyes: I also persist in believing that the England cricket team CAN win this winter....really!

I write to my many nieces and nephews back in the US but any reply I get from them tends to be in crayon! It would be wonderful to exchange letters with 'grown ups' - I mean, of course, 'grown up' in a chronological sense, I make no assumptions AT ALL about personality! :ltcapd:

Carol

Edited by CasmiUK

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Why not? count me in as well.

55 years old, I live in London - well ok, Walthamstow; of dog track and longest street market in Europe fame.

Proud owner of two rescued retired greyhounds therefore good at avoiding small furry animals and low flying pidgeons.

I have a mania for fountain pens and try very hard to use all of them. This will be a good opportunity to get some writing practice!

Work as a Parasitologist at the HTD, London; travel to developing countries on a fairly regular basis.

Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall a hero of mine therefore currently have sloe gin, damson gin, elderberry gin and blackberry vodka seeping nicely in time for christmas. Chickened out (excuse pun) on the wild mushrooms bit, too terrified of getting poisoned!

Just starting to get back into calligraphy; anything to improve my arachnid-like handwriting.

Hilary

Count me in!

I'm 47, recently retired after 25 years in law enforcement. I am interesting vintage and modern pens, especieally Sheaffers, as well as vintage writing accoutrements, such as ink wells, paper, etc. Also enjoy good literature, jazz, old r&b, new orleans music, old movies, and spending time with my wonderful wife.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/lapinz/RayKDHandPenTransp.gif

Philosopher, historian, critic, cynic, shaman, priest, medicine man, writer, wanderer, poet, dreamer, lunatic,

and mendicant purveyor of flatulent didactics. Pipe smoking guru to the politically incorrect.