Best Waterman For The Money ?

spraine

May not fall in the category of the last 10 years but the Le Man 100 has been the best pen I have had...Certainly during the past 40 years or so...(It's in my shirt pocket right now)...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• spraine

• jjaberg

• olivier78860

I'm interested in a Waterman as well, however I would like one with a smooth flex nib.

As much as possible, I'd like to limit my budget to below $100. $50 or lower is better. (I'm a student)

:hmm1:

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

Best current pen IMHO is the Edson, but best value for money the Carene.

I get most joy from my l'Etalon (not current but still under 10 yrs). And the Charleston is a little gem.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Would it help if I changed "10 years or so" to "40 years or so" ?

You put in a number.

Best Waterman for the money......

One of my first fountain pens was a black Phileas for which I paid about $40 to an online pen retailer (Colorado Direct). It's still one of my favorites.

Then there is my Carene Deluxe that I found on Ebay - dark blue body with a chrome/gold accents cap - a beautiful pen! It was a NOS pen from a pawn shop, I think. Paid about $85 - $90 for it. I love this pen and think of it as one of the best bargains I've acquired. Of course Ebay is always a gamble.

Both of those pens I consider great values. Just this week I added an Expert II in a brushed chrome finish. My daughter had given me an Amazon gift certificate for my birthday and surfing around that website I came across this pen for $39.95 (with free shipping, and including a converter). Haven't even inked it yet so the jury is still out, but on paper this looks to me like a pretty good value. Even had enough left over on my gift certificate to pick up a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Azur which I'm also looking forward to trying.

The current Waterman Hemisphere retails for just under $100. However, there seems to

be an earlier model ( pre-2010 ) that is being replaced in inventories. I have been

seeing them go for under $60. I won two "brand-new's" for $39 and $36 on Ebay.

Is there a difference ? Am I mistaken about the older ones ?

At the retail price of $25, the Phileas is a very good writer. However, since its

discontinuation a year ago, the price has doubled or tripled.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

As far as the Carene and L`Etalon go, i would say that these models are overpriced, too heavy and big. Writing with a L`Etalon(i had the barley goldplate version) feels like driving a big car with no power-steering. The Carene has its own issues.

I have noticed that even lower-end models can perform very well, and many have smooth nibs, just like the higher-end ones. I haven`t tried yet pens like the Hemishpere, but i think that most mid-range models from the 80s and 90s will perform well. But i can`t put my finger on one of them at the moment.

Edited by rochester21

I forgot about my Charleston. I bought it from a pen company (Fahrney's maybe?) for $95 - half the MSRP. I think it must have been some kind of inventory clearance. My pen is a white body/cap with gold accents. With the 18k nib it is really a pretty pen. I see Charlestons continuing to appear in new pen catelogues but they are all dark colors and, for my money, not as distinctive in appearance as the white/gold. The first pen I received did not write reliably, however. The seller tried to adjust the nib for me and eventually just replaced it with another instrument. The second time around this pen has become a favorite - and, in my view, an excellent value for the money.

I only have two 'modern' Watermans - a Phileas & a Hemisphere. I prefer the Phileas both for line quality and comfort. It outperforms most of the pens I own. It was my first 'serious' pen - talk about a tough act to follow!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, To follow-up my post on the other thread.

The Waterman Expert I is the smoothest nib ever!

This is a very economical pen too, if you can track one down.

I have had all 17 of my pens smoothed by a nib meister, and the Waterman still wins!!

I also really like the threaded converter!

Best regards,

Steve in Oz.

Edited by SJH

A Phileas, if you can still find one is a great pen. There are still some NOS out there. I have four of them myself.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

my first generation experts, my laureats and my man 100s

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The one thing that vintage Waterman pens have going for them is

their flexible nibs. While some of the more obvious ones(the vin-

tage Patrician and early Hundred Year pens,for instance) can be

expensive,some of the lesser known mid-to-late 40's models with

the same type of nibs can be had for much cheaper prices. I find

that Waterman vintage pens are good value for the money over

some Parkers and Sheaffers.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.