Waterman's 94 Collection

Procyon

One of my favorite pens to use is the Waterman 94. It seems to be just about the size I like in a pen and the #4 nib is usually a good writer, with a bit of flex in most cases. I just took a couple of pictures of my collection, and thought I would share.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8457/8063998520_fc572199e1_b.jpg

L to R: All Sets: Blue & Cream, Moss Agate, Persian, Olive Ripple in HR, Blue-Green Ripple in HR, Rose Ripple in HR.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8063999513_21de292355_b.jpg

L to R: 2 Blue & Creams, Blue-Green Ripple in HR, Olive Ripple in HR, 494 Silver Overlay in Bay Leaf Pattern, Black HR with 9K half overlay, Mahogany, Silver Pearl and Red set, 2 Silver Pearl and Reds.

Edited by Procyon

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Procyon

• Xof72000

• Uncle Red

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Procyon ... don't you know it's strictly forbidden to have such a tremendous collection ? Hum ... ?

To avoid you troubles, and as I allways accept to help, ... send it to me ...

:puddle:

• 1 month later...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8457/8063998520_fc572199e1_b.jpg

L to R: All Sets: Blue & Cream, Moss Agate, Persian, Olive Ripple in HR, Blue-Green Ripple in HR, Rose Ripple in HR.

Does anyone knows the date of launching of the 94 Blue Ripple ones ?

Thanks !

According to F&S, the Blue, Rose, and Olive Ripples began in 1928. The black and red ripples were first produced in 1923 - and were sort of an off-shoot from the mottled and wood-grain pens, which had been around for a long time (1898). I think the mottled started first, and then the wood-grain, but F&S lumped them together, so I am not sure.

Edited by Procyon

Thanks ! :thumbup:

Edit : One more point, Procyon : the 94 blue ripple don't appear (nor the rose and olive ones) in a 1933 catalogue I have : does this mean they were just produced during 5 years ? (between 1928 and 1932 ?)

Edited by Xof72000

Thanks ! :thumbup:

Edit : One more point, Procyon : the 94 blue ripple don't appear (nor the rose and olive ones) in a 1933 catalogue I have : does this mean they were just produced during 5 years ? (between 1928 and 1932 ?)

According to the Davis and Lehrer Waterman's book, they only produced the alternate color ripples in 1928-1030. They were sort of an answer to other companies' plastic pens, so since Waterman also started producing plastic pens in 1929, they apparently discontinued HR colored ripples.

Wait, Ripple (red) started in 1923? I thought it was 1927?

My mistake! It is 1927 for the red ripples. You are absolutely correct. I was parroting an error from the F&S Blue Book, which I always thought was correct until just recently. There was a discussion about this on another thread a few weeks ago.

I wonder if 1923 was the start of the wood-grain black and red? Maybe that is where F&S came up that date?

• 4 weeks later...

That´s great collection. But a simple black bchr pen is missing.

You may think a BCHR #94 is simple, but it is also one of the rarer ones. Here are some details about the 94.

Waterman 94

• 4 years later...

What a lovely collection of these fine pens. I just bought a 94 in Mahagony with a keyhole nib. Is there a source for dating these pens? The Kamakura link given above is a dead one. Any information is most appreciated.

I'm particularly fond of the Persian pencil!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I just finished a Silver Pearl and Red 94 that I got off Robert Lott's table in Chicago. It's my daily carry this week.

Quite an achievement to put these together. To me, with my weekend warrior antique shop only pen collecting habits, this seems a lifetime of work.

• 3 weeks later...

You may think a BCHR #94 is simple, but it is also one of the rarer ones. Here are some details about the 94.Waterman 94

I recently got a plain bchr 94. Its interesting that in Lehrer's book this one was not placed alongside the ripples. Instead it was placed next to the next gen 94s and seems to be produced later in the 30s

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to pick up another this past week. I got an olive ripple 94 in an auction lot that had it buried in a bunch of other stuff, and not described at all. I need to get a clip for it, but the rest of the pen is really pretty clean. I'm going to rescan it and use it for a few days.