The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Onoto Magna Classic

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tomcoombs

tomcoombs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 17:59

First Impressions

First things first, easy ordering process from Onoto. The pens are built to order so it takes about 4-6 weeks to receive the order. Regular updates and a quick response from David on the process takes the anxiety out of the process, but certainly builds the anticipation.

Opening the Mailing packaging presented a shiny blue wooden box, cleaning cloth and various instructions guides, hall marking guides etc.

The presentation box is very nice and opens to display the pen and a certificate of authenticity and numbering of the series (this pen was 152 of 1000).

The pen presents a very understated appearance at first look, but when you look a little deeper, you can see the fine finish, the nice proportions etc.

The whole first impression oozes of quality.

IMG_0064.JPG

Appearance (10/10)

The pen I selected is the black / sterling silver combo with the chased finish.

The silver is very nicely polished and carries the appropriate hall marks on the rear of the center band.

I was somewhat skeptical about the chasing that is engraved (?) into the barrel as part of the process, but it really does add to the overall aesthetic appeal of the pen and make it a very easy pen to hold. There is a nicely engraved "Onoto the Pen" logo on the side (with the appropriate Made in England statement) and a blank area on the opposing side for the owner to have their initials or some other lettering engraved.

The cap has very nice sterling silver fittings, 3 bands and a Silver Onoto logo on the top of the cap. Opening the pen reveals an easy grip and nice Gold/Silver Onoto nib.

A plain silver button is insterted on the bottom of the pen. All of the Silver is very well polished and shows now scratches, marks or imperfections of any kind.

Magna.jpg

IMG_0068.JPG

Design/Size/Weight (9/10)

The design is a classic square top pen. I was struck by how light this pen is when you first pick it up.

The whole thing (filled) weighed in at 29g on my postal scale.

Dimensionally, it is 140mm capped. (A little shorter than a Pelikan M800 and a little longer than a Parker Duofold) and is around 15mm at its widest point on the cap.

It is very well balanced and a pleasure to handle when put to paper.

I like my pens to be a little on the heavier side, but this pen, size, weight and design is all very complimentary.

Nib (10/10)

I selected the optional 18k gold nib as part of my build (every pen is built to order).

The Nib is a gloriously smooth, wet writer. From first touch to paper it has not skipped, caught, or been dry in any way. The feedback from this nib / pen is utterly wonderful. Even when I write in my fastest note taking mode, the nib / feed keeps up and hasn't burped once.

I filled the pen with J Herbins 'Eclat de Saphir' which was also a new ink for me.

Filling System (10/10)

It is a standard converter, what more can I say. Good quality and holds a lot of ink in the tank.

Cost and Value (8/10)

This pen was a late birthday / early Christmas present to myself, so please forgive me for splurging a little here...

The pen was $602, built to order including the optional 18k nib (which added $100 to the base price), so it's officially the most expensive pen I have purchased. Having now written with it for a while, I can honestly say, I do not regret having spent that much on this pen in any way at all.

There is something to be said about the value of having this kind of instrument hand built to order, I fully believe that it leads to the quality, fit and finish and the beautiful writing performance that this pen provides.

Conclusion (6/6)

This pen is a wonderful addition to any collection. I use all of my pens, and this one will be sure to come out more often than most as it is by far one of the nicest pens that I have from a performance perspective. Not only that, the quality of the fit, finish, and presentation makes the experience of using this pen, a pleasurable and gratifying one.

I can only recommend this pen with out any reservation whatsoever.
TC.
Posted Image Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Clanging

Clanging

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:32

By an odd coincidence, I had the Onoto website open in another tab, and was seriously considering a Magna Classic (I like the look of the Havana Brown). I think you have made my mind up for me: it will be be my next high-end pen.

#3 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:17

A nice pen. I hope that you enjoy it. :)
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#4 Susanlouise

Susanlouise

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:28

Thank you for the review! I have been considering getting a blue one.

#5 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:57

Congratulations! You have a truly wonderful pen.

I have an Onoto Classic in Blue chased with gold hardware. Richard Binder ground a nib to a crisp cursive italic for me. It is a smooth writer yet has excellent thick/thin line differentiation. It provides a splendid writing experience.

Enjoy yours!

David

#6 rvthof

rvthof

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:45

What a lovely pen! I love the black / silver combination,
as you said it gives a nice understated appearance.
This pen is high on my wishlist.

Enjoy this beautiful pen.

Rob

#7 branodncooley92

branodncooley92

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:09

Great review.

#8 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:31

I do hope there will be some available when I can afford them!
I love the Blue Chased in gold or silver.

Regards,

Richard.

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:25

Happy Birthday whenever it was. That's a classy looking pen.

#10 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:57

Congratulations on your purchase of the Onoto Classic. :thumbup: I have the same pen without the chasing and I also selected the heavier option. It is lovely to look at and a delight to use. Onoto have produced a great product plus they have good quality control and after sales service which makes for a very pleasant writing experience.

Hope you enjoy your pen

#11 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:10

Vanness Pen Shop carries the full line of Onoto pens in the US (except for the occasional out of stock).
We will have many of them at the upcoming Ohio Pen Show.

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

#12 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:11

Nice Onoto! Great review, too, thanks for posting - enjoyed reading through that!

I have Magna 261, and have been hideously tempted to get another. These are really, really nice pens.

Who am I kidding? I will be getting another. Just a matter of time...

Ken

#13 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:39

I just pulled the "buy trigger" at Binders site for the blue/gold Magna Classic! Drooling now, I cannot wait for it to arrive, hope it won't take too long. Ever notice FPN is very enabling...

Edited by Edwaroth, 16 February 2013 - 12:41.

#14 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:28

Yes, it's cost me a fortune!

Regards,

Richard

#15 Lexpen

Lexpen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 23:00

Yes, it's cost me a fortune!

Regards,

Richard

#16 Lexpen

Lexpen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 23:03

I bought the Onoto Classic with blue chasing from Richard Binder and the Magna 261 in black with chasing. They are great writers. I know you will enjoy yours.

Sponsored Content

|