Help Me Identify This Parker Vacumatic

AndWhoDisguisedAs

I just joined the site and looking for help identifying this Parker Vacumatic.

I'm going to try to attach two pictures but neither of them do the pen justice. The pen is a beautiful tiger stripe. I can read the print on the pen but finding it difficult to capture all of it in a photograph. I hoping someone can identify the pen and give me some idea of what it might be worth. I realize what I'm about to say is sacrilige but I prefer writing with a less expensive and more modern fountain pen like the Lamy or Kawesco.

Using a magnifying glass, I can make out GEO S. Parker in small type, then PARKER VACUMATIC in larger type, then MADE IN U.S.A again in small type, then what looks like an emboss of a “G” or a “6”. Does that make sense and help?

Again, thank you.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• AndWhoDisguisedAs

• Sowulo

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's a third-generation vacumatic major from the early to mid-1940s--a good, solid pen, not the lowest on the vac totem pole but not the highest, either. if the diaphragm works, i'd put this in the range of $75 to $100. if the diaphragm is shot (and you'd best assume it is) then that will be another $30-40 job.

Check out my blog and my pens

Looks like a third generation--plastic filler, round blind cap--major or debutante vacumatic. You might try to write with it, you might like it.

Edit: penmanila, is far better with vac sizes than I, thus I defer to his assessment of major.

Edited by sloegin

it's a third-generation vacumatic major from the early to mid-1940s--a good, solid pen, not the lowest on the vac totem pole but not the highest, either. if the diaphragm works, i'd put this in the range of $75 to $100. if the diaphragm is shot (and you'd best assume it is) then that will be another $30-40 job.

Thank you. Um, what is the diaphragm? If it's the device that allows ink to be drawn into the pen, it works perfectly. I really appreciate the help.

Looks like a third generation--plastic filler, round blind cap--major or debutante vacumatic. You might try to write with it, you might like it.

Edit: penmanila, is far better with vac sizes than I, thus I defer to his assessment of major.

Thank you for the information. When you say "major" or "debutante" vacumatic are those interchangeable terms? And I did try the pen. It draws ink in smoothly but it was a little small for my hand (though nothing as tiny as the Kawesco I just purchased and returned). After trying almost a dozen fountain pens over the last decade - everything from a cheapo Jaffa to a Mount Blanc, I still prefer my Lamy. Fits perfectly in my hands. The nib is the right size, not too tiny (again see the Kawesco), and it cleans up quickly and nicely. Would love to find another similar sized pen in that (under $50) category. Again, thank you.

As you noted, the Vacumatic is a pretty, striped pen. The number " 6 " is the year

of manufacture. 1946. The presence or absence of dots around the " 6 " indicates

which quarter of the year it was produced. The Parker Vacumatic is an historic pen,

full of innovations. All mine are fine points and excellent writers.

The end cap (not the cap with the pocket clip) unscrews to reveal a plunger, used

in filling the high-capacity reservoir. After 65 years, the internal rubber parts

are likely dried up and cracked, or disintergrated. Pretty good condition for so

old a pen ? It's Plexiglass (Lucite), the first acrylic material !

For the price of one of your chosen, modern pens, you can have the Vacumatic restored

to working condition. It will serve you as well, or better, than either of your

modern choices. You may not encounter another so reasonably priced.

I hope you can enjoy you Vacumatic for a lifetime, and pass it on to juniors.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

"Major" and "debutante" are not interchangeable; the deb, as the name suggests, is visibly smaller at around 4 and 5/8" vs the 5-inch (usually) major. I said "usually" because there's a bewlidering array of vac variants--but all of them arw pretty to this vac nut ;)

Edited by penmanila

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll write here if you don't mind.

Mine is exactly the same pen. I'm just confused about the nib. Pen itself is made in Canada but on the nib it says:

PARKER

ENGLAND

20 8

No parker arrow. Is it common?

Thanks

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll write here if you don't mind.

Mine is exactly the same pen. I'm just confused about the nib. Pen itself is made in Canada but on the nib it says:

PARKER

ENGLAND

20 8

No parker arrow. Is it common?

Thanks

The nib has simply been replaced by a later english Parker nib, probably not a Parker factory swap. Some people prefer the English nib because they usually have flex, the original Arrow Vac nibs seldom have flex.

Edited by Beechwood

I have a 1945 Parker Vacumatic "Major" made in the 3rd quarter of that year that is of the same design as yours. That color is officailly called Golden Pearl. It weighs about 0.59oz and is 5.09 inches capped and 5.84 inches when posted. Mine has a 14K fine "arrow" nib that writes like a dream after being tuned by a nibmeister but is not a flex nib.

And I didn't realize this thread was over a year old when posting....oh well. :D

post-95756-0-98680600-1384439630_thumb.jpg

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

The end cap (not the cap with the pocket clip) unscrews to reveal a plunger, used

in filling the high-capacity reservoir. After 65 years, the internal rubber parts

are likely dried up and cracked, or disintergrated. Pretty good condition for so

old a pen ? It's Plexiglass (Lucite), the first acrylic material !.

I know I'm chipping in a bit late, but aren't Vacumatics made of celluloid, with the Vac-fill 51 being the Lucite pen?

Instagram @inkysloth

I know I'm chipping in a bit late, but aren't Vacumatics made of celluloid, with the Vac-fill 51 being the Lucite pen?

Correct.

Pretty good condition for so

old a pen ? It's Plexiglass (Lucite), the first acrylic material !.

It's celluloid. Also note that the correct spelling is "Plexiglas".

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The only issue I have with the Vacs is the nail nibs.

I searched all last summer for a fine semiflex nib for a Third Gen Major like the OP's with no luck.

If your pen has a UK nib, you're lucky indeed.

ken

Edited by loudkenny

If your pen has a UK nib, you're lucky indeed.

ken

Also Canadian nibs - I have two Vacs with Canadian nibs, one is very fine and gloriously flexy, the other is slightly broader (but still finer than a modern "fine" Parker nib) and has a nice amount of spring.

Instagram @inkysloth

Ditto Inkysloth. I have a dozen or so US Vacs...no flex. Two mid 30's Canadian Vacs...one semi & one very flexie.

Cheers,

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Out of about 70 Vacs in my current collection, about 5 or 6 have flexy nibs, two of them almost wet noodles. So they're uncommon, but they do exist out there.

• 4 years later...