The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Death Grip Killed My Aurora Ipsilon!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Windycityhorse

Windycityhorse

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2012 - 22:19

My beloved, sterling Aurora Ipsilon is my office-workhorse pen. Unfortunately, I do have a medical condition that causes my hands to shake, called Essential Tremor. Think of it as Parkensons lite (with no offense to those afflicted), so I death-grip my pens to keep my writing fluid. I generally prefer heavy metal pens, thus this Ipsilon is prized in my collection until I can get my hands on a YOL Viceroy.

Sadly, I have done this once before, and sent it to Aurora Italy for repairs, but it cost me as much as the pen is worth.

Does anyone know of how I can get this repaired in the states? Or a good part source??? Any help would be appreciated. Jean

Attached Images

• Ipsilonrb.jpg

I'm not in favor of natural selection. I'm just saying: Let's remove the warning lables and see what happens.

Aurora Ipsilon .925 RB, ST Dupont Nacre Noire RB

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 22:29

I'm sorry to hear of this loss, and of your tremors.

If you grip tightly, maybe a pen with metal section threads, or a pen without any section / barrel joint, would be better for you.

Cross' Townsend and many others have metal threads.
The YOL Grand is so strongly-built I don't see how it could be damanged by a tight trip.

Marlen's Basilea has a captive converter, so no threads at all.
Piston fillers in general won't have a section / barrel joint.

Still another thought - - I wonder if your pen's section / barrel joint could be fused, and a threaded opening made at the back end to create an eyedropper.

I hope someone can repair your pen, and that you can again enjoy it!

#3 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:43

I'm sorry to hear of this loss, and of your tremors.

If you grip tightly, maybe a pen with metal section threads, or a pen without any section / barrel joint, would be better for you.

Cross' Townsend and many others have metal threads.
The YOL Grand is so strongly-built I don't see how it could be damanged by a tight trip.

Marlen's Basilea has a captive converter, so no threads at all.
Piston fillers in general won't have a section / barrel joint.

Still another thought - - I wonder if your pen's section / barrel joint could be fused, and a threaded opening made at the back end to create an eyedropper.

I hope someone can repair your pen, and that you can again enjoy it!

Not much use to make an eyedropper out of a rollerball.

I think you might try to buy a non-sterling version of this pen on the bay and use it for parts...
And I would guess you could get a new section in the US from a good shop.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#4 Oregon Duck

Oregon Duck

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:00

I second the suggestion for finding a used Ipsilon on eBay for parts. Seems likely to be the most cost effective way to address the issue....
--PHIL

#5 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:55

If you're looking for a death-group pen as a back up or to tide you over until you get that Yard-O-Led Viceroy you may want to consider the Tombow Zoom 505bw; it's all metal, anodized aluminum with a circumfrentially brushed finish or lacquer over aluminum in various colours, has a firm rubberized grip section-rubber over metal not plastic, a very secure snap cap that posts securely and is less expensive than the Aurora. The only downside is that it takes a proprietary rollerball refill, which though it is excellent, is a bit harder to find so you should probably stock up if you do buy one, they also seem to have slightly less capacity than the standard Schmidt types.

#6 Windycityhorse

Windycityhorse

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:18

Thanks all, for the advice. You gave me several options to think about. I appreciate it!
I'm not in favor of natural selection. I'm just saying: Let's remove the warning lables and see what happens.

Aurora Ipsilon .925 RB, ST Dupont Nacre Noire RB

#7 ever onward

ever onward

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:12

Ummm...what's broken? I can't tell from your picture what happened. To me the pen just looks like it's been separated into its disparate parts.

?

thx,
eo
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

#8 irrigger

irrigger

A Canuck Abroad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34

Ummm...what's broken? I can't tell from your picture what happened. To me the pen just looks like it's been separated into its disparate parts.

?

thx,
eo

If you look at the ink refill, you can see the black plastic band that was once attached to the front section.

#9 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:41

I cannot imagine the RB section being that expensive. Contact Aurora again?

Sponsored Content

|