Contest! Fp "inspiration"

pb2

No photographer, calligrapher or artist here. Just a few thoughts which I would humbly like to share. This one I learned in my formative years.

Pictured is a Graf von Faber-Castell Pernambuco with a Fine nib, inked with Herbin Lie de Thé, and a Sheaffer Imperial Cadmium Yellow with a Fine nib, inked with De Atramentis Deng Xiaoping Steel Blue.

http://i.imgur.com/LYib7.jpg

Edited by whitedot

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inky_artist

• rvisser

• pb2

• nightwing

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one, I know by heart. The poem has been adapted to fit.

The Esterbrook is an red, English LJ with a 2442 Fine Stub - my first Estie and my first stub - inked with a Montblanc Royal Blue.

http://i.imgur.com/SOWE5.jpg

This is the one which resonates most with me. In my greatest hour of need, facing my biggest setbacks, I inadvertently learned the value of kindness. Generosity may bless the receiver; it always heals the giver. A fellow FPNer was the first to impress this lesson upon me in a long message, that kindness is giving out of poverty, and giving out of poverty is refusing to give up. I promised a reply, and this is it. With all my heart, thank you. The quote, I think, and its author, is appropriate.

http://i.imgur.com/MFgVQ.jpg

The ink is Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi, a gift sample from another FPNer, in a Cross 150th Anniversary Sterling Silver with Medium nib.

Edited by whitedot

"No one has ever become poor by giving." -- Anne Frank

Wow, what an amazing quote, and wonderful author. Simply in never giving up she became someone the entire world will never forget. It resonates with me too. Thank you for the beautiful reminder!

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Here is another entry (although both of mine are fairly inadequate, compared to some of the really incredible ones I've seen so far).

Of course my photography skills are not the greatest (and I had to work and work to crop the images enough to make them fit within the 1 MG upload limit, which didn't help....)

I know nothing about the author of the quote; I just found it online and thought it was really cool, and lent itself to artwork. I worked from an image I downnloaded from, IIRC, the NASA website -- it's not exactly the same, being a freehand drawing, rather than a tracing. Obviously I need to practice drawing with a fountain pen more! :rolleyes:

fpn_1351539322__footsteps_quote_cropped_detail.jpg

fpn_1351539777__cropped_image_--_pens__inks.jpg

There have been some truly amazing entries in this contest, and it's been fun to get the creative juices flowing. Also pretty humbling, being neither a calligrapher nor an illustrator....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

What's the pink/magenta-ish pen I see on the last photo? :) It looks lovely, though I can't seem to identify it.

I like your drawing. :D

Edited by czanguine

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

http://distilleryimage9.instagram.com/dcfa11e823b811e2b82c22000a1fbca3_7.jpg

Hoping I make it to the deadline.. if I don't, at least I get to share my morning inspiration right? :)

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

This is the one which resonates most with me.

Love that quote. Also, your writing is so neat! I especially like the lowercase 't' and 'f' letters. :)

Hoping I make it to the deadline.. if I don't, at least I get to share my morning inspiration right? :)

I found out the meaning of YOLO only a few months ago, and the word (acronym?) still makes me laugh. :lol: Great post and beautiful handwriting, too!

Here is my entry courtesy of Erma Bombeck. Sorriy for the bad photo, no power, no heat, etc, etc. Ccccccold in the aftermath of Sandy here. Erma cheered my up with her humor.

fpn_1351734955__2erma.jpg

Edited by plistumi

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

Bravo and BIG thanks to everyone!!!! You can still enter before midnight of the 31st anywhere on planet Earth. ... Kudos to all!

plistumi! Thank you for making an entry; nice display of power in a "power outage"! Stand strong in Sandy's wake.

All judges, please send in your scores! =]

I will announce the entries according to points as planned. I will also itemize the prizes.

Whoever gets the most points will get first choice and second respectively, etc. ( Sorry if my statements are sketchy; too much sugar! .... no costumed kids came to the door so I ate the Almond Joys! ... next time I'll turn on the lights and unlock the gates.)

Blessings to all!

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

http://i45.tinypic.com/1xxgeh.jpg

I hope to add some measure of grace to the world; whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the Quest.

Namiki Falcon SF with Pilot Black.

(Apologies for the poor quality image and poor quality writing. I practiced all month and it's still the best I can do.)

Edited by Andrew H

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

PB, thank you again so much for doing this. It ended up meaning quite a lot to me to participate, much more than I expected. Thank you!

.... no costumed kids came to the door so I ate the Almond Joys!

Heh, sounds like something I would do! But only if you didn't really know you were eating quite so many as you actually were at the time... :roflmho:

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

What's the pink/magenta-ish pen I see on the last photo? :) It looks lovely, though I can't seem to identify it.

I like your drawing. :D

Which pen are you talking about? The top one or the bottom one?

The uppermost one is a Noodler's Flex Piston King Phillip Purple Demonstrator. The one at the bottom of the photo isn't actually pink -- that's just a function of the poor color quality of the photo :bonk. It's actually silver-colored, a Guanleming Accountant (you can see a better picture of one on the isellpens.com website, where I got it -- no affiliation other than being a happy customer).

I had a much better picture color-wise, but I couldn't crop it small enough to make it to the 1 MB size limit for uploads, and I realized as I was trying that you couldn't see all the nibs in the photo, either.

Thanks for the other comment! I'm not an illustrator at all, I just am a moderately good copyist (albeit out of practice with anything other than line drawings -- and have very little experience drawing with fountain pens...). If you compare the drawing to the photo on the NASA website you can see where I didn't get it exact (but of course, that means I didn't trace it either :rolleyes:). The inks I used for the drawing were to try as best as I could to match the color from the original photo of the lunar surface.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

PB, thank you again so much for doing this. It ended up meaning quite a lot to me to participate, much more than I expected. Thank you!

.... no costumed kids came to the door so I ate the Almond Joys!

Heh, sounds like something I would do! But only if you didn't really know you were eating quite so many as you actually were at the time... :roflmho:

That's why I stopped buying Halloween candy. We almost never got any kids (one year we had a total of 6 the whole night, and two of *them* were from about 6 towns over...), and I got tired of eating 5 pounds of Smarties by myself because my husband wouldn't help! :roflmho:

It's not that there aren't kids in the neighborhood (although there are fewer, I think than they're used to be); they just weren't willing to walk all the way up the driveway. Most of the houses on our black have relatively small city-sized lots; our house was built on what was apparently the equivalent about 4 or 5 lots, and is also set way back in from the road (about the middle of the property, and it's roughly an acre, which is unusual for our town. Plus, it had the reputation for being "haunted" (probably because of the old guy who used to live there, and/or his one really creepy son (the house was an estate sale and the son was living in the house when we looked at it, rather than 3 doors down at his brother's house, and I think Eddie's game plan was to just continue living in the house after their dad died -- only the *other* heirs wanted their cut and wanted the house sold).

And admittedly, we're not the best at maintenance or yard work.... :blink:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's why I stopped buying Halloween candy.

We also stopped giving candy and discovered kids like glow sticks. We had not power here (I am at work with power), so the glow sticks were very a propos status post Sandy. Kids did not come to our house either (too dangerous without power), so we donned our yip-yip costumes and delivered glow sticks. Had fun!

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

Somebody

That's why I stopped buying Halloween candy.

We also stopped giving candy and discovered kids like glow sticks. We had not power here (I am at work with power), so the glow sticks were very a propos status post Sandy. Kids did not come to our house either (too dangerous without power), so we donned our yip-yip costumes and delivered glow sticks. Had fun!

Okay, I'll bite. What the heck is a "yip-yip costume"?

Thank you to Pendleton, the judges, and all the donors for making this contest possible! And thank you to my fellow participants for making this fun. :)

Okay, I'll bite. What the heck is a "yip-yip costume"?

Thay are Sesame street characters from the 70s. They were aliens with a big mouth.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eXwOfgTpoY0/Tjm8EN2gZJI/AAAAAAAABWs/65RdHETeVcQ/s400/Martians-lettera.jpg

Somebody

Thank you to Pendleton, the judges, and all the donors for making this contest possible! And thank you to my fellow participants for making this fun. :)

I don't envy the judges one bit. There have been some really amazing entries.

I'm starting to feel like I did when I took a women's entrepreneurship class a few years ago. There was one woman in the class (a former Rand Corporation employee) who was starting her own intelligence forecasting business, someone who had the idea to design an hand-held device with yardage calculation apps and such for people who did home sewing, and a woman who wanted to manufacture hard-side laptop cases/briefcases for women executives who sat there calmly stating "I need $1.5 million in start-up costs..."

And *I'm* sitting there thinking "I am SO much in the wrong class...." :headsmack:

WOW! 66 posts with entries and some of those two entries to the post! :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Great job everyone!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I know the "contest" is over (and I must say it was the most fun I've had with my pens in ages! :P ) But, since yesterday was Fountain Pen Day, I thought I'd wrap things up with a little video... and a great big "Thank you!" to pb2 and all the others who were responsible for this wonderful October event. Cheers! :thumbup:

[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/IMG]