• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jslallar

• Mike 59

• seffrican

• ThatLeoneGuy

Hi, The green colour converters (push fit) are for 'Townsend' & 'Aventura',

and orange converters, (screw fit), are for all others.

Edited by Mike 59

Hi, The green colour converters (push fit) are for 'Townsend' & 'Aventura',

and orange converters, (screw fit), are for all others.

So, are Verve, Pinnacle, and Signature to get the Orange Converters, or were you just addressing modern pens?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

No, no, no. All Cross cartridge pens, i.e. all the fountain pens Cross has sold since 1982, after its long hiatus since the 1930s, take one or another type of converter. Until the Century II was introduced, some time in the 1990s IIRC, it was the green or sometimes blue push-in converter. My own favorite, the Classic Century FP, takes a push-in converter. As do the Pinnacle and the Signature and the Metropolis, among others.

More recently things have become more complicated. Some list of models, which I don't have in my mind but which includes my Century II, will take the orange screw-in converter. Not every current model, though: the Spire, which is exceedingly narrow, takes a special small cartridge and if it takes a converter at all it would be something smaller than either the green or the orange.

Owners of the Spire may wish to tell us what they use as a converter, if indeed there is a converter that fits.

is there any substitute converter for the Townsend? You know, sometimes a different brand also fitts the pen. I now have indeed the green converter for my Townsend. But my second hand pen came with a Waterman converter. I did not try it (would not want to bend or force something)

" Go with the inkflow, my friend "

Hi, Regarding the converters, I took this photo of the information on the back of the two types that exist in 2012.

Edited by Mike 59

Thanks all. FPN people are the greatest!

I still wonder about the Signatures. And I would guess that Pinnacles would take the same as Townsends.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

I left out of my account the Solo and the Radiance, which are the same pen with a slight exterior difference. Both of them take the green push-in converter.

Although I don't own either a Pinnacle or a Signature, I'd be astonished if they didn't both take the push-in converter.

When I've bought Cross pens on eBay, they've come with converters. They had converters when first sold, as Cross had not yet begun to economize in this respect, and the original or a later Cross converter was passed along to me.

Sorry for buyers who get a pen without a converter, although I can see that this could raise doubts as to which was the right converter. The older models are the ones I'd be buying, so I'm not left wondering. They all take the push-in converter.

• 2 weeks later...

Green for Townsend, Pinnacle, Solo/Radiance, Aventura.

Orange for all else.

The difference is in the threads on the orange converter, which are missing in the green one, and that makes the sleeve a bit thinner. The green ones will fit all pens but willl be loose in other than those it is intended for. Whereas the orange will not slide in due to wider sleeve. The threads and the sleeve can be thinned out by grating off the portion with an emery paper and then it will fit a Townsend (I have done it)

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if either of these converters fit the Cross Bailey (referenced under another posting on this site on sale at Staples)?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if either of these converters fit the Cross Bailey (referenced under another posting on this site on sale at Staples)?

I have never seen the Bailey

BUT

Cross has a proprietory converter / nipple size

The Green fits only the Townsend, Solo / Radiance and the Aventura

So by default / exclusion it must be the Orange converter for your Bailey!

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I just bought the wrong converter the other day... :bonk: I've got the orange screw version in a ripped open package :gaah: destined to be thrown out of sight in the back of a desk drawer. :bawl:

Well if it serves any purpose I called cross to be sure before buying myself. They said that the orange one was the appropriate converter for the Bailey. I went to Vanness and they tried one in before I bought it.

Please forgive me as I am learning.

I just bought the wrong converter the other day... :bonk: I've got the orange screw version in a ripped open package :gaah: destined to be thrown out of sight in the back of a desk drawer. :bawl:

What pen do you have?

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

The Bailey has the threads for the threaded converter. I just bought one at Staples. (I needed a pen, what can I say? It was only $20!)

I don't believe I just said that... Well it it purple too, I have a week spot for purple...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

What pen do you have?

This one:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8193971735_b323fdd105_o.jpg

The pen in jbb's picture is a Radiance. I own one myself. It takes the green push-in converter.

• 4 weeks later...

What pen do you have?

This one:

Dear jbb,

Sorry for the delay.

If you read my earlier post (above), the orange converter can be modified to be used in any of the pens which take a green one by grating off the threads on the sleeve of the converter. If you have (or intend to have) more Crosses, by all means keep the converter in a drawer and get a new one for your pen, but if this is the only pen you have, you could modify the converter with little effort and save time and money.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

apropos converters I was lucky enough to buy earlier this year an unused Townsend Lapis in the original box and with the unopened ink bottle and Lapis leaflet. Should the box contain a converter or for that matter should it have cartridges with it ???