The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wierd Skyline Feeder Thing (Not A Tube)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crofton99

crofton99

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:37

So I got this skyline at a antique(junk) store. Disassembled the barrel from the section and found that instead of a feeder tube there is very thin sliver or plastic that curves at the end. I've attached a couple of photos.Skyline feeder flat1.jpg Skyline feeder flat2 (2).JPG Is this an oddity?

Sponsored Content

#2 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:09

It is not that big of an oddity. It is commonly called a "wick" and was used to help ink flow back and forth to the feed and nib. Because there is surface tension in all liquids, and sometimes ink surface tension would not break easily enough to let ink flow easily, the wick was an ink travel enhancer. The tail of the wick contacted the inner wall of the pen sac and the ink flowed along the wick and into or out of the section more easily than without one. It was common in the late '30s Eversharp Doric and other models. It performs differently than the breather tube (which by the way was as much a full fill mechanism as a breather tube).

Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#3 crofton99

crofton99

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:46

Thanks Syd!

Kevin

#4 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:30

So I got this skyline at a antique(junk) store. Disassembled the barrel from the section and found that instead of a feeder tube there is very thin sliver or plastic that curves at the end. I've attached a couple of photos. Is this an oddity?

I had the same question some time back, you may want to check that thread here

#5 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:26

If you scroll down the current topics and look through the plastic Coronet post at the pictures there you wI'll see the thingy exposed. And see how it works inside of the sac.
Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Sponsored Content

|