The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Profit 1911 Dark Pastel Red

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stano679

stano679

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:09

After seeing quite a few FPN members purchase pens from engeika on ebay (no affiliations), I decided to check it out myself. I saw this one, absolutely loved the color and knew I had to have it.

First Impressions
- It arrived in the typical Sailor box, with an included converter, and 2 cartridges of black ink.
- Pulled it out, great size, looked fantastic
- It is in the classic cigar shape, that looks very similar to a Montblanc Meisterstuck. t even has similar cap bands, but 2 instead of the usual 3 on a Montblanc. The band reads – Founded 1911 Sailor Japan.
- Started writing with it with the included ink (Sailor Jentle?) and it was a little scratchy which disappointed me, especially because I’ve read a lot of reviews that rave over Sailor nibs. In addition the ink flow seemed to be a little stingy.

Appearance and Design
- I really like the classic cigar design of this pen, which is timeless
- In addition, the contrasting colors of the two ends really bring out the pastel red of the main body.

P1010699.JPG

Weight and Dimensions
- Barrel: 12mm (diameter of cap: 14mm)
- Length: 135mm (cap closed) & 147mm (cap open)
- Weight: 18 gms

Nib and Performance
- 14k gold nib.
- As mentioned, out of the box it was a little scratchy, but I saw on FPN a nib grinder who works in Australia! Which is great because it means I don’t have to post my pen overseas and have to wait weeks (which can be maddening! Especially when you can’t wait to try the new nib )
- I emailed Jack from AussiePenRepair, who is lovely. He really took the time to address my concerns about the nib, and was very thorough in the details he needed to ensure he ground the nib specific to my style of handwriting.
- Turnover was fantastic! It was supposed to take a week but it ended up taking just over 1 day or so, which even included sent pictures of the final grind, which could be changed if I wasn’t happy with it.
- I picked it up and couldn’t wait to try it, and when I opened the box, I found a note handwritten from him.
P1010689.JPG
- I tried the new nib, which he had ground into a stub for me. Its really nice and smooth, with quite a bit of line variation as well.

P1010700.JPG

Filling System
- C/C

Cost and Value
- Just under AUD$100 from engeika not including postage which was $15
- $35 for the custom grind from AussiePenRepair

Conclusion
- Overall, I’m very happy with the pen, especially after the custom grind. I can see this being part of my everyday rotation 
- I would definitely recommend Jack from Aussie Pen Repair (no affiliations) because of his excellent customer service and great nib grinding skills.

Sponsored Content

#2 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:36

Nice pen choice. I love the 1911M, as it is almost perfect for my hand...it's the smallest pen I have that I pick up and go "ooh yeah, that's nice" pretty much every time. Too bad about your nib, but I can understand the feeling. Sailor's nibs are praised to the point of hype, and none have lived up to that hype in my experience. They have potential, but the nibs I've tried always seemed sub-optimal. Made me wonder if I was carrying some kind of Sailor curse, but after seeing and trying some pens that others thought "awesome", I am now pretty convinced that I just have a sick sense of perfectionism (we can't expect perfection from hundred-dollar pens, can we?). What I call smooth, a surprising number of people call "too smooth." That just seems like saying my high score on a test was "too high", which I claim to understand ("control of the pen", etc.), but that I am secretly baffled by.

And I can echo the praise for Jack at Aussie Pen Repair. I did a review of a Lamy 2000 from him a while ago. I hope to get another nib from him sometime in the future, if possible. Glad to hear from another satisfied customer.
Robert.

#3 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2012 - 14:49

I was disappointed with the toothiness of my Sailor nibs as well. It totally surprised me, as I had always heard about how smooth they were supposed to be. Glad it turned out well for you in the end!
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#4 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 18:23

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#5 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:19

I have the same pen - a 1911M. It is a fantastic writer for me - just a hint of paper feedback, but very smooth with consistent ink flow. I've found you need to make sure you are holding the pen in its sweet spot to get the most out of this nib. For my style of writing, that seems to happen naturally with my Sailors (1 1911L, 2 1911Ms and a Sapporo).
True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#6 stano679

stano679

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:19

To XiaoMG and ThirdeYe (I dont know how to formally reply to your comments... yet), its so good to heard I'm not the only one with this problem!! Thanks for your comments.

To breaker, thank you for the kind words. Its my first review so I'm still getting used to the formatting and the uploading of pictures :)

And to de_pen_dent, I did try from a variety of angles, but I found that none of them really worked or made the nib smoother, unfortunately. But luckily I dont have that problem anymore :) Out of curiosity, what angle do you hold your nibs at?

#7 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:12

I hold mine at around 45 degrees to the horizontal. In any case, glad the pen is working out for you now :)
True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Sponsored Content

|