Nice Flea Market Find...

Xof72000

Thanks for your pix Stefan, but it's definitely not the same system : on mine there is a golden ring that yours doesn't seems to have.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/SAM_1138_zps10fbe314.jpg

The top button just turn "mad" (like we say in french... don't know if it make sense in english :embarrassed_smile: ) but doesn't unscrew. I first have to unscrew the golden ring to be able to pull of the top button : as you can see on the pictures, I get acces to the leads, but no rubber, and no thread...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/SAM_1139_zps58e9c37e.jpg

Like 'Andyk' said, I really think the feeding of the leads has to be done by the hole end of the pencil.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xof72000

• stefanv

• Bo Bo Olson

• Paul Raposo

At least I learned how to feed my 450. Thanks Stefan.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Beautiful, beautiful.. up until now I am still at a loss as to how you guys are able to find such pens in flea markets! I've visited a few antique shops, only to find a number of broken pens sitting ignored in a corner. :(

Enjoy that set!

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

It occurs to me that I don't know if I can actually put leads into the pencil as shown in my photo. It could be that this is only a storage compartment, and that the leads need to be inserted from the front for actual use. The reason I don't know is that there was already a lead in the feed when I got the pencil (just a few weeks ago). I'll have to take the lead out, and see if another one feeds automagically.

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

My best guess is that you have one of the earliest Pelikan 400 sets made. I have seen images dating to 1938 showing Pelikan products using that same style of mechanism for the pencil, that same case, and referencing the same markings. I have also seen a 1950 Colour advertisement which matches the Fountain Pen, and which interestingly was priced at 25 Deutsch Marks for it alone when it was new.

Edited by Parker51

• 4 years later...

:headsmack: Sorry about zombieing............ :blush: :rolleyes:

But some how I had pushed hard, or put the tip to the paper and did so.....so thought the pencil was empty. :o

I'm very glad I didn't show up at my B&M looking to see how to fill a pencil with lead still in it.

I still have lead in the back compartment.

I really like the balance on that 450....until I screwed up...and thought it empty....and somehow got the eraser out with out the screw on eraser protector, so I was really lost, in I could not figure out how to fill it, looking down the back seeing only a brass bottom. :unsure:

Having no spare lead.....well, I did, but it was 'hidden'....by circumstance and ignorance.

Sigh, I don't know what I'm going to do with the 20 inked pens, now my 450 is back in operation. :lol:

Until this 450, I never liked mechanical pencils....Jotters and my P-75 pencil/ball point. I'll have to dig that one out...to compare. I still have the 'end messy refilling' lead cartridge.

Now to see if that's only disposable or not.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.