Nice Flea Market Find...

Xof72000

Hi !

It's my first post on the Pelikan forum (as I've got few of these animals in my collection), just to share with you my latest find on a flea market.

I first thought it was a glasses case, when I saw it closed,

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset1.jpg

...but something special inside me was telling me to open it ...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset2-1.jpg

If I'm right, I've got a beautifull 400 brown tortoise set...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset3.jpg

... and the fountain pen has an early Pelikan nib, not very flex, as it appears to be a "hard fine", as the "HF" mention on the end of the pen seems to indicate (am I right ?)

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset4.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset5.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/PELIKAN400Tortoiseset6.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xof72000

• stefanv

• Bo Bo Olson

• Paul Raposo

Congratulation. !!!

H = extra hard versions

H = Extraharte Ausfuhrungen (german language)

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

H = extra hard versions

H = Extraharte Ausfuhrungen (german language)

Thanks for the confirmation.

And do you know why Pelikan put this mention on the pen rather than on the nib ? :unsure:

Pelikan nibs aren't always marked, particularly these older nibs. While I have seen my share of "D" nibs and markings, this is the first time I am seeing a HF marking on the turning knob. Great find!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Great find! Are these in working order?

FYI: These are not animals, they are birds! :ltcapd:

Enjoy your good fortune!

Fair winds and following seas.

Great find! Are these in working order?

Oh yes they are !

I'm just a bit disapointed with the nib : as it is an early one, I would have hope for more flex, but it's a real HF (but write smoothly). The pen takes ink perfectly.

I've done some crosswords with the pencil ... it took me half the usual time to end them ! :roflmho:

What a find! I hope you got them for a song. ;)

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

Beautiful set, Xof72000 :thumbup: Since everyone is too polite to ask, I will--what did you pay :blush:

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Is that a '50's 400 or a 400N?

Penboard.de, has pre'66 nibs that will be 'flexi'. My 400 NN is a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' OF.

Rick Propas might have some too. He's the Pelikan man here.

Great set, what is the marking on the ball point?

I lucked out and got a 400NN but mine is a friction fit, still a great nib and BP and MP with etui...your etui is nicer.

Do get a 'flexi' nib for it. A vintage OB is not a fat signature nib of today. It is a good writing nib...it's like a B-M nib of today.

I have a Pelikan 140 (140 = semi-flex) in OB and the 400NN (flexi out side of yours.)in OF, both superb. (I've some 35 pens from '50s-65 most with nibs with some flex.)

The 140 nib is too small in looks to put it in your pen.

My first Pelikan was from a live auction...said to have been a '50's...but was a '90-96 Tortoise.

I was so 'noobie' then, didn't even know how to test a nib for flex with my thumb. :blush:

In your case, testing the nib don't matter at all, you got a great tortoise set, that you can re-nib. Just keep the hard nib, in case you have to sell it in 2050.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Great set, what is the marking on the ball point?

It's not a ballpoint, but a pencil, with nothing special written on it but "Gunther Wagner - Pelikan" on the top of the cap (nearly under the clip). By the way, I don't know how to open it ... :wacko: : pull ? unscrew ? ... didn't wanted to force it.

Thanks for your kind congrats, it makes me happiest. :wub:

If it needs talking about price, I just spend 35 € on this set... worth ? B)

If it needs talking about price, I just spend 35 € on this set... worth ? B)

Wow! That's $45 Canadian. Excellent catch, X :clap1:

Edited to add: I was looking at a similar set, but the box was not as nice as yours; and I was told about $325 fair market value. So you got it for 1/10 FMV.

Edited by Paul Raposo

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

Is that a '50's 400 or a 400N?

Looks like a 400 from early fifties. The 400N and NN had the rounded piston knobs.

Paul's Pens

Good find. He grumbles to himself, seething with envy :puddle:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Wow! That for only 35? I envy you!!! :P Congratulations!

+1 Tre Bien!

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

You Someguy you. :notworthy1: :thumbup:

There should be a number on the cap ring of your pencil.

Mine says 450 for th MP and 455 for the ball point.

Which I think are second models.

You are right, my MP don't want to unscrew either. But I've not used a Mechanical pencil for decades.

That one had been a P-75 which did, having a Parker mechanical pencil cartridge....I had to use Schmidt ball point in for some reason the Parker ball points cartridges didn't want to work.

Go back and buy something else from him....he don't know his elbow from where he keeps his wallet.

Buy him out. B) At those prices.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi,

Great find at a fantastic price I'm jealous too, although I have a full set including BP/MP but no case. The MP probably won't unscrew they are usually 'clutch' type with the lead being fed in by pressing the cap button to open the clutch.

Andy

My Pelikan 350 pencil looks exactly like the original poster's, except it's green striped instead of brown. Yes, it does have a clutch mechanism like a plain lead holder, but it also automatically advances the lead when you push the button (pushing it harder allows the lead to be pushed back in). And I've just double checked that unscrewing the button reveals the eraser, and pulling it out opens the lead compartment:

http://www.stefanv.com/pens/fpn_photos/pelikan-350-pencil.jpg

The eraser, by the way, is new. I made it by punching a 5mm cylinder out of a Rotring white eraser.

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png