Jinhao 163, Any Experiences?

paultyler_82

Ok, I really like the look of this pen, but I would really appreciate thoughts from anyone that has used this model, as well as suggestions on more reliable places to buy this pen than ebay. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

http://r.ebay.com/rq8lgK

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgcom

• dcwaites

• paultyler_82

• Frank66

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless you live in China, then one of the most reliable place to get Chinese pens is E-Bay. I have bought a pen from that seller & had no complaints.

However, you could look at Hisnibs ( http://www.hisnibs.com/ it's called the 'Colonel' series and is here: http://www.hisnibs.com/colonel_163.htm ) or Isellpens (http://www.isellpens.com/jinhao.html but no J163's at the moment). Both sell a limited range of Chinese pens from the US and I've never heard anyone complain about their service.

As for the pen itself, I've not tried one, but the nib is the same as the one I liked in the Jinhao Century Mk2 pen I reviewed here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/220345-jinhao-century-mk-2/

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

Thanks, Richard,

I appreciate the advice, especially regarding the seller. After checking your review on the Century, I think I may try this one out.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• 3 years later...
I have Jinhao 163 in gunmetal, purchased on dx.com quite some time ago.
I think, this is marked as fine nib, but is closer to medium.
It came in exceptionally nice leather box with high quality Jinhao converter.
I have it filled with Waterman Serentity blue cartridge right now and it wrights exceptionally smooth.
I think, Jinhao if one of the best low-cost brands available right now - either this or Platinum Preppy/Plaisir... But this Jinhao weights a ton compared to Platinum :)
post-130902-0-90383200-1468214962_thumb.jpg

Scratching away on paper...

It is a narrow pen, suited for a smaller hand.

It is also quite heavy for its size, and therefore, relatively feels heavier than it looks.

It comes in a range of colours, and has a standard Jinhao converter and #5 Jinhao nib and feed.

Mine is quite good, but it just doesn't suit me.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

My experience has been superb. I have the blue color one, the pen looks fantastic in this color. It is not as fat a pen as the Jinhao 159, it fits my hands perfectly though. Even though it is a metal pen, it is not heavy at all. It also posts in a very balanced way. To be honest with you, I do not remember how the original nib was, as I immediately replaced it with a 2-tone #5 self-stub nib which was available at the time I received the pen, nib swap was very easy. For me it was love at first sight and it has been one of my most favorite fountain pens ever since. For me it is definitely a keeper...

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Wonder, where to buy cheap extra fine #5 nib for this pen (in US)... Did a little search and haven't found many places selling #5 (plenty of #6 though)...

Scratching away on paper...

Wonder, where to buy cheap extra fine #5 nib for this pen (in US)... Did a little search and haven't found many places selling #5 (plenty of #6 though)...

I don't think you can get them in anything other than the one size. I had to hand grind a couple down to the fineness that I wanted.

Incorrect, you can find #5 nibs in various nib widths here --

http://www.xfountainpens.com/collections/nibs

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Hi, I am posting a picture to hopefully help you judge the size of the Jinhao 163 fp. Pictured from top to bottom: Kaigelu 356, Jinhao 163, Reform 1745, Pilot 78G, Jinhao x450 and Jinhao x750.

The Jinhao 163 is same size as the blue Kaigelu 356, larger than the Reform 1745 and the 78G, but smaller than the Jinhao x450 and 750. However it is a hefty and well balanced pen, I personally quite like it.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/635226B5-56B6-42E8-AB8F-6FE06F5FB8EF_zpsfowlwgi2.jpg

Here is the Jinhao 163 below uncapped. The nib is a Broad Oblique taken from another pen and is not representative of the original pen nib. Any #5 size nib could fit in my judgement. What is more interesting is that the nib/pen never dries out or skips.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/2A36AD95-7CD6-4447-B576-87C3A7AAFEFC_zpsoyrbpvuu.jpg

Below is a writing sample with my self-ground nib. The letters are kind of "fat" but the original nib was more a Medium size nib.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/6B4315C1-8A42-4898-B0C4-0942436BE13E_zpstnbvahos.jpg

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.