The Other German Pens

jar

Tried several Graf Faber Von Castell and they are awesome pens :thumbup: Thanks for the review

Georges, what is it that makes you think they are awesome pens?

....design? how they write? etc....

I've only see photos online of GFVC pens (they look very good and well-made in photos...)....so, curious as to makes them so good....

Thanks.

ArchiMark, it's interesting that you ask this question. The two pens outside of Montblanc I have enjoyed the most have been two that you and Jar have written about, the Delta Momo and GVFC Intuition, respectively. Both entirely different and so unique and pleasant ergonomic writing experience, not to mention their beautiful designs, so thanks to both of you. :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments, Steve.....

However, trying to get beyond the very general, broad positive comments made about the GVFC pens and understand what is it specifically about them that generates the positive 'they're really great pens' type of comments....not that there is anything wrong with that, but it doesn't help me to understand why people are speaking so highly of GVFC pens....hope this makes sense....

For example, you say 'pleasant ergonomic writing experience'....do you mean the pen feels well balanced in the hand or ?

Thanks!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• stevesurf

• ArchiMark

• beluga

For example, you say 'pleasant ergonomic writing experience'....do you mean the pen feels well balanced in the hand or ?

Thanks!

Mark

Of course, it's entirely personal, but the feel of the wood and it's slightly wider diameter at the base/nib assembly, where the index finger and thumb meets the pen, for me, is so comfortable. I just don't want to put it down!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Thanks!

Mark

Of course, it's entirely personal, but the feel of the wood and it's slightly wider diameter at the base/nib assembly, where the index finger and thumb meets the pen, for me, is so comfortable. I just don't want to put it down!

THANKS! for clarifying....it's very helpful this type of specific info on a pen.....and from what others have said, nibs are firm.....

However, trying to get beyond the very general, broad positive comments made about the GVFC pens and understand what is it specifically about them that generates the positive 'they're really great pens' type of comments....not that there is anything wrong with that, but it doesn't help me to understand why people are speaking so highly of GVFC pens....hope this makes sense....

Thanks!

Mark

I'm not Steve but let me give it a try.

The basics. Fit and finish on all the different models is near perfection. Even the feel of the converters is almost like there are ball bearings on the piston mechanism. On the models with screw on caps it takes less than one full turn to cap or uncap yet the caps are secure and do not tend to self uncap like another screw cap premium German pen with which I am familiar. The slip cap models cap and uncap smoothly and both types post securely. The pocket clips are spring loaded, have a raised leading edge and are wide enough to hold the pen securely over thick or thin fabrics.

All of the sections are slightly concave and so they tend to position your fingers and discourage any slippage even on the pens with a plated section. The pens are very controllable, give lots of feedback. Even the Platino Intuition models are balanced.

The materials are individual but all fantastic. The body on the Guilloche feels like a hard rubber reminiscent of some of the better vintage pens. It's warm and always smooth. The Classics have the wood body, a waxed wood that again is always warm. The resin on the resin Intuitions has the same feel as the OMAS vegital resin.

So far every nib has worked perfectly out of the box, flow is moderately wet and all of the nibs on the GvFC pens I have have been ultra smooth, controllable and reliable.

Does that help?

My Website

Thanks!

Mark

I'm not Steve but let me give it a try.

The basics. Fit and finish on all the different models is near perfection. Even the feel of the converters is almost like there are ball bearings on the piston mechanism. On the models with screw on caps it takes less than one full turn to cap or uncap yet the caps are secure and do not tend to self uncap like another screw cap premium German pen with which I am familiar. The slip cap models cap and uncap smoothly and both types post securely. The pocket clips are spring loaded, have a raised leading edge and are wide enough to hold the pen securely over thick or thin fabrics.

All of the sections are slightly concave and so they tend to position your fingers and discourage any slippage even on the pens with a plated section. The pens are very controllable, give lots of feedback. Even the Platino Intuition models are balanced.

The materials are individual but all fantastic. The body on the Guilloche feels like a hard rubber reminiscent of some of the better vintage pens. It's warm and always smooth. The Classics have the wood body, a waxed wood that again is always warm. The resin on the resin Intuitions has the same feel as the OMAS vegital resin.

So far every nib has worked perfectly out of the box, flow is moderately wet and all of the nibs on the GvFC pens I have have been ultra smooth, controllable and reliable.

Does that help?

YES!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

Thank you, jar, for taking the time to share such helpful and pertinent info.....this info and input is exactly the type I was looking for....

From your detailed info, I can now appreciate why all the positive general comments about GVFC pens.....makes sense given the type of quality you describe.....

Only thing now is that it makes me want to get one to try.....

;)

;)

Then my job here is done. :bunny01:

Seriously, of the modern German pens I'd put the GvFC right at the top of the current crop, above Montblanc or Pelikan and with a personality similar to the pre-1960s Montblancs.

Unlike Montblanc they also make a full range of pens from entry level kids pens to the Pen of the Year and Limited Editions like the Walden Wood.

They also have an online site to buy repair parts including the full range of nibs.

And then...

Is there a warranty for Graf von Faber-Castell items?

Yes, there is a lifetime warranty. If there is a problem, which falls under the warranty, the instrument will be repaired at no charge. If the item is no longer available and in need of replacement, a comparable replacement will be offered in its place. (See warranty information).

AbE:

Let me point out one other thing I find significant. I mentioned up thread about the spring loaded clip, how it was wide and had a raised lib and held over thick or thin fabrics, but wait...there's more. If you look at the underside of the clip, right where it would make contact with the fabric, you see a whole series of rounded dimple projections so it is not just a smooth surface yet also has no sharp edges to tear fabric.

Edited by jar

My Website

;)

Seriously, of the modern German pens I'd put the GvFC right at the top of the current crop, above Montblanc or Pelikan and with a personality similar to the pre-1960s Montblancs.

Unlike Montblanc they also make a full range of pens from entry level kids pens to the Pen of the Year and Limited Editions like the Walden Wood.

They also have an online site to buy repair parts including the full range of nibs.

Thanks for the additional info....sure sounds good....

And then...

{snip....}

Let me point out one other thing I find significant. I mentioned up thread about the spring loaded clip, how it was wide and had a raised lib and held over thick or thin fabrics, but wait...there's more. If you look at the underside of the clip, right where it would make contact with the fabric, you see a whole series of rounded dimple projections so it is not just a smooth surface yet also has no sharp edges to tear fabric.

Now, that's what I call attention to detail......

:thumbup:

;)

And then...

{snip....}

Wonderful! It's obvious I have to start actually looking at my pens! :eureka: Please don't tell the Montblanc forum that it looks like the GVFC and Deltas have won my heart over :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

;)

And then...

{snip....}

Wonderful! It's obvious I have to start actually looking at my pens! :eureka: Please don't tell the Montblanc forum that it looks like the GVFC and Deltas have won my heart over :)

Your secret is safe with me, I won't tell.... :)

I do like German fountain pens (and French, British, Italian, Japanese, Swiss, and American for that matter). I especially like pens that are well-designed and handle well. This thread has motivated me to start shopping for a GvFC. A Classic sounds like a good starting point. Thanks for all the info!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I mentioned up thread that I'd try to add some pictures of the Terracotta Intuition and the Pernambuco Intuition, but while we are waiting for some sun and warmer days, here are the...

Boring Details

http://www.fototime.com/AA03BF47C0CCA6A/medium800.jpg

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jar,

Do you know if the Pen of the Year 2012 is piston operated?

With love,

goldenkrishna

No, I don't know. It could be a captive converter which would make more sense I believe than a full converter.

I have five Pen of the Year pens. Each has an ink window, so I think they are piston filling.

• 2 months later...

My guess is it's the Ambition series. ( http://www.fabercast...tainPenM?page=3 )

Nice writers, but I too don't care too much for the step from the barrel to the grip section.

It gives the pen clean, aesthetically pleasing lines, but having the "correct" (whatever that may be) grip drilled into me as a school kid, the step between the two annoys the middle finger of the right hand that supports the pen.

Other users may not be bothered by this, it's all a function of how the user holds the pen.

Sort of redesigning the pen, there is little that Faber-Castell can do about this and I'm just too hold to change the way I hold pens... B)

Pity, I'd love to love that pen....

You understand that the barrel is the grip section on that pen, the silver section is not meant to be gripped at all when writing.

I have this pen and it is simply wonderful.Who holds a pen in the first 1/4 inch of the grip.

• 1 year later...

I see that I never returned to post the pictures I promised of the basic Intuition and the wood Intuition Platino so Mea Culpa and here they are.

http://www.fototime.com/40849B8FBA70B8D/large.jpg

As you can see, the wood Platino is wider and also just slightly longer than the basic.

There is a big difference though in the size of the nibs.

http://www.fototime.com/09EBE18E95219D2/large.jpg

I also have a resin GvFC Intuition Platino that is the same size as the wood Intuition Platino but has the same nib as the basic Intuition.

My Website

I have always loved the way the wood Intuition feels in the hand (especially the dark brown one, grenadilla) but whenever I make a big purchase I seem to choose something else. The fact that they don't have a piston is kind of a let down for me but I believe it makes the cleaning process a faster one. And the nibs, well, they never felt that exciting to me for some reason. Much like the Pelikan M80X series. I don't know, if I see one for a good price I might just jump on it. I really love wooden pens.

Thank you very much for the detailed pictures and commentary, I really appreciate it.

Very nice pens!!! Thank you for the review. I'm with you..I like flat top pens. I don't care for the cigar shape. Can you please share some good retailers?

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

Very nice pens!!! Thank you for the review. I'm with you..I like flat top pens. I don't care for the cigar shape. Can you please share some good retailers?

I think Dromgoole's is a Graf von Faber dealer as are Fountain Pen Hospital, Fahrney's and Cult Pens.

My Website

Beautiful ! Thank you for the photos, Jar.

From the 1940's and 1950's, there are a lot of "no-name" piston-fill, school pens

from Germany. I can't get enough of them.

I used a slide rule in high school and college, as did the engineers solving the

problems of Apollo 13. GRANDFATHER ? Thank you for that, too ! :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

I see that I never returned to post the pictures I promised of the basic Intuition and the wood Intuition Platino so Mea Culpa and here they are.

http://www.fototime.com/40849B8FBA70B8D/large.jpg

As you can see, the wood Platino is wider and also just slightly longer than the basic.

There is a big difference though in the size of the nibs.

http://www.fototime.com/09EBE18E95219D2/large.jpg

I also have a resin GvFC Intuition Platino that is the same size as the wood Intuition Platino but has the same nib as the basic Intuition.

These are absolutely gorgeous pens!

To all, I would recommend keeping a look out for the pernambuco wood version on the *corrected* right as it is no longer made in this size :)

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia