Cross 'select tip' pens?

ScottT

Howdy everyone,

I was browsing the Cross site earlier and came across the rollerball/select tip pens. Can someone enlighten me as to what these are exactly?

Is it simply a rollerball and that Cross has made other refills that will work in it?

Thanks everyone,

Scott

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• afruba

• penartist

• cubsjpd

• jread

A. I don't have one.

B. They sell several different large-sized refills for these pens. Those would never fit more than one at a time into a reasonably-sized barrel.

Therefore I think you must be right.

check www.cross.com

it's my understanding that with the select tip you have a number of choices for refills: hi-lighter, rollerball, felt-tip, or ballpoint.

I have a couple of these - a silver plate and a maroon matt version. Originally, there was the choice of fibre-tip refils (fine and broad) and roller-ball refils in different colours. I was never happy with either of these as they seemed not to perform as well as cheap, disposable roller-balls or fibre-tip pens.

Anyway, now there is a jumbo ball-point refill (blue only I think) and a yellow highlighter refill available too, and they are pretty good. So, you can "select your tip" :lol:

Chris

check www.cross.com

it's my understanding that with the select tip you have a number of choices for refills: hi-lighter, rollerball, felt-tip, or ballpoint.

Bingo! We have a winner.

I have a couple of these - a silver plate and a maroon matt version. Originally, there was the choice of fibre-tip refils (fine and broad) and roller-ball refils in different colours. I was never happy with either of these as they seemed not to perform as well as cheap, disposable roller-balls or fibre-tip pens.

Anyway, now there is a jumbo ball-point refill (blue only I think) and a yellow highlighter refill available too, and they are pretty good. So, you can "select your tip" :lol:

Chris

I have found the "Jumbo" ball point refill to be very nice.

YMMV

It means that you can either use a gell roller refill or a fiber tip refill or you can purchase the nib portion and go back and forth from roller ball to fountain pen

• 1 month later...

When did Cross add the "gel" term to its rollerballs? Did Cross change the composition of its rollerball ink in the past 5 years?

• 1 month later...

Yes - Cross changed their rollerballs to a Gel two years ago. The rollerball refills don't say 'gel' - but the performance has vastly improved. I think all the old rollerball refills have now been used - 'gel' would be standard rollerball refill now.

Bill

QUOTE (pengeek9944 @ Jan 12 2007, 11:17 PM)
It means that you can either use a gell roller refill or a fiber tip refill or you can purchase the nib portion and go back and forth from roller ball to fountain pen

I have the fountain pen and SelecTip versions of the Solo Classic. I tried screwing the FP section into the SelecTip barrel, but there's a spring in the top of the barrel that blocks the converter. It might work with a cartridge, but I haven't tried.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I'm delighted to hear that the rollerball refills are now gel and vastly improved. I was usually disapponted with the performance of them years ago and felt the Selecttip was a bit of a waste until I found the jumbo ballpoint refil, and then the highlighter too.

I'll get a gel refill and try one.

Chris

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Do any cross rollerball refills fit in these pens, or are there specific rollerball refills for the 'selec tip'? Same question for the ballpoint refills? Excuse my ignorance, first experience with cross pens.

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

I have two black Cross select tip pens, which will use a roller ball refill, yellow highlighter refill, jumbo BP refill and porous tip refill. They are all great except the porous tip, which write entirely too dry for me.

Do any cross rollerball refills fit in these pens, or are there specific rollerball refills for the 'selec tip'? Same question for the ballpoint refills? Excuse my ignorance, first experience with cross pens.

Dean

I believe any Cross roller ball refill will fit the select tip. I've used them for years and never had to shop for a special RB refill to fit it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dean

All standard Cross rollerball refills fit in the "Selectip" pens. They come in two colors at the moment, I think. Fiber tip refills, jumbo ballpoint refills and document marker (highlighter) refills also fit in these pens.

Don't get confused by the ballpoint issue. The "jumbo" ballpoint refill is designed to fit only in the Selectip pens. (Essentially, for those folks who prefer the traditional paste ink of a ballpoint, Cross designed a ballpoint refill to fit in a "rollerball" pen. Rollerball refills, by contrast, are usually made with water based or gel based inks.) Cross also makes a standard ballpoint refills -- these fit their ballpoint pens.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

I have an older Select tip pen; I can't find the pen but I have two refills to use.

So, I buy a Cross Bill Blass Select Tip pen. How do I put my felt tip refill in this newer pen?