The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Decapod Keki-Tamenuri: My First Nakaya

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2012 - 23:28

Posted Image

(Please excuse the misspelling of "urushi" in the hand-written review, above.)

INTRODUCTION: The exuberant pleasure in their pens expressed by Nakaya owners on FPN led me to visit the Classic Fountain Pens web site and give this line a look. Honestly, my first reactions were not very positive, but the more I looked, the better they looked. It took a few months for me to appreciate the unique designs of Nakaya pens and the adaptation of traditional Japanese arts to these modern writing instruments. My initial skepticism eventually morphed to admiration and on to desire and, finally, to … well … lust.

Yesterday, I received my Nakaya Decapod in Keki-Tamenuri. This is a “previously owned” pen, and it came without box or kimono. When I unwrapped the pen, my first impression was, basically, recognition, since I had “visited” it so many times before I placed my order. However, once I held it and experienced the feel of the urushi, and once I inked it and wrote with it, I knew I had something extraordinary.

Appearance & Design (10) – The design of the pen is unlike any other. And it is beautiful to my eye. The polygonal barrel with the contrasting reddish-brown and light green urushi are stunning. The more I look at this pen, the more I love its appearance. I have other pens I regard as beautiful machines. This one is in an entirely different category: functional art.

Construction & Quality (10) – Everything about this pen exudes quality. It is very light, yet feels solid. The urushi pattern would highlight any flaws in fit, and there are none.

Weight & Dimensions (10) – This is a light-feeling pen. Objectively, it is slightly longer than a Pelikan M800 and only about 1 gram lighter. Yet, subjectively, it feels much lighter in the hand. The section diameter is 0.01 inches less than that of the M800, but to me feels relatively thinner than this. Like any new pen model, it takes some getting used to, but I'm finding it increasingly comfortable to write with.

Nib & Performance (9.5) – Nakaya offers nibs in 7 widths and 4 materials. They are famous for their quality and their smooth writing. I wanted my nib ground to a crisp cursive italic that writes a 0.7 mm-wide line. John Mottishaw started with a BB nib, and ground it to my specifications. I have found with new customized nibs, there is a break-in period. I am not sure how much is a change in the nib and how much is my learning to find its “sweet spot.” At present, this is still in process. My first impression is that I wish the nib were crisper, but I am withholding judgement until I have had more experience with it. That said, the nib writes extremely smoothly and, to my surprise, writes as pleasing a line for my nearly illegible doctor's cursive as for cursive italic, its intended principal use.

Filling System & Maintenance (9) – Nakaya pens are cartridge/converter inked. I generally prefer piston fillers. My Decapod was fitted with a converter, and it seems to be of excellent quality and works well.

Cost & Value (10) – I purchased my pen from Classic Fountain Pens. I ordered by phone, as I had before. Again, the ordering process was a pleasure. They are such nice and such knowledgable folks! Nakaya's are expensive. Mine was pre-owned with a somewhat lower price than the same pen new with box and kimono. To my inspection, it is in mint condition. Considering that this is a hand-made and hand lacquered instrument of unsurpassed beauty. I believe it was fairly priced.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Conclusion (Final score, 5.85/6) – I am delighted with this pen. I anticipate other Nakayas joining it in my collection. I would not hesitate to recommend a Nakaya to anyone looking for a spectacularly special pen. I had high expectations of it. The aesthetics of the pen exceeding my expectations. I am happy with the pen's performance, and expect that, as we get to know each other, my happiness will only increase. I don't know yet whether my Decapod will become a “daily writer.” I have (too?) many pens vying for that status, and it is so special I may be reluctant to carry it around town. Time will tell. However, I am sure I will want to keep it where I can fondle and admire it daily and expect to use it often. It will have a place on my desk, if not in my pocket, rather than in my pen display case.

:cloud9:

David

Sponsored Content

#2 Windycityhorse

Windycityhorse

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2012 - 23:37

Love, love, love, that pen! Your script is not too shabby either! Posted Image

Enjoy! I hope to get my hands on a Nakaya one day.
I'm not in favor of natural selection. I'm just saying: Let's remove the warning lables and see what happens.

Aurora Ipsilon .925 RB, ST Dupont Nacre Noire RB

#3 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2012 - 23:46

Love, love, love, that pen! Your script is not too shabby either! Posted Image

Enjoy! I hope to get my hands on a Nakaya one day.

Thanks, Windycityhorse!

This was the first Nakaya I had ever touched. Now, I'm looking forward to touching others. Maybe even purchasing one ... or two ... or .... :rolleyes:

David

#4 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:51

Congratulations! The Heki-tamenuri is beautiful, and the facets of the Decapod really allow the color variations to shine. :)
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#5 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:21

Congratulations on your heki-tamenuri Decapod! It is a gorgeous pen. I wondered how long it would be available at CFP (nibs.com)!

I'm glad you're very happy with it.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#6 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:28

Congratulations! The Heki-tamenuri is beautiful, and the facets of the Decapod really allow the color variations to shine. :)

Thank you, quinden. I totally agree.

David

#7 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:37

Congratulations on your heki-tamenuri Decapod! It is a gorgeous pen. I wondered how long it would be available at CFP (nibs.com)!

I'm glad you're very happy with it.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

Thank you Lisa!

I concur regarding the gorgeousness of this pen. I feel fortunate to have snagged this beauty. I love this pen in this finish but would have bought a less expensive model for my first Nakaya had this one not been available. You win some ... I'm loving it more by the minute.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Nakaya array John brings to the SF Pen Show. I did say "seeing," didn't I? :unsure:

David

#8 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:41

Another orphan adopted. Betcha can't "eat" just one. Enjoy. :bunny01:
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#9 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:00

Great writing! And a beautiful pen. I recently acquired a Neo Standard in the same urushi finish, also from CFP, and just love it. With 3 Nakaya pens, I may be slightly ahead of you at the moment, but it sounds like that won't last for long. Good luck at the SF pen show. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#10 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:19

Congratulations to you from the former owner of that gorgeous Heki-tamenuri Decapod! I loved that pen, but decided I wanted the Heki-tamenuri in the Twist pattern so traded it to CFP. You can be assured the pen you now hold and treasure was well-cared for and used with joy. May you enjoy it for years to come in good health.

#11 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:20

Nice handwriting,:clap1:
Thanks for your review,

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#12 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:29

Congratulations to you from the former owner of that gorgeous Heki-tamenuri Decapod! I loved that pen, but decided I wanted the Heki-tamenuri in the Twist pattern so traded it to CFP. You can be assured the pen you now hold and treasure was well-cared for and used with joy. May you enjoy it for years to come in good health.

Thank you, dannyboy! Hmmmm ... make that a double "thank you!"

I was having difficulty imagining why anyone would return such a beautiful pen. You have made me feel better about that.

So, tell me about the Decapod Twist. Do you love it? Have you reviewed it?

David

#13 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:02

Congratulations, David. That's a beautiful pen!

#14 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:21

My good deed for the day, eh? .... You eat them?? :unsure:
David

#15 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:22

Thanks dcpritch, Binod and geoduc for your kind remarks.

David

#16 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:50

My good deed for the day, eh? .... You eat them?? :unsure:
David

Nom, nom, nom, .... Hmmm. Crunchy. I hate it when a nib gets stuck between my teeth.

#17 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,401 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:23

I have the pen's identical twin (the only way to tell them apart being my elastic medium cursive italic). Together they will take over the world! Mwahahahaha!

(Congrats on an amazing pen. Use it in good health!)
Too many pens; too little writing.

#18 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:35

That is really a beauty and I know you will enjoy it.
I have the twist aka tamenuri, and have a hard time putting it down. It's always got ink in it.
Hex, aka George

#19 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:39

I'm looking forward to seeing the Nakaya array John brings to the SF Pen Show. I did say "seeing," didn't I? :unsure:

David

Ruh roh.... Once you see them with your hands.... Make room in your pen case or wherever you keep your pens. Ha ha ha ahem.

The urushi finishes are so pretty, I couldn't decide on one favorite. I'm explaining why I have a few Nakayas, not justifying. There's a difference. Hee.

Maybe we'll see you at the pen show! A Pen Posse should "spontaneously" occur at some point. Yay!

L.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#20 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:17

@ ethermautrix

Ruh roh.... Once you see them with your hands.... Make room in your pen case or wherever you keep your pens. Ha ha ha ahem.

:roflmho:

One of my sisters used to tell our mother, "I want to go window shopping ... with money."

My new rosewood 36 pen display case just arrived yesterday, as it happens. It is full, but the 24 slot case it replaced does have a few empty slots now ... No hurry to fill them ... But, if I do see something ...

Maybe we'll see you at the pen show! A Pen Posse should "spontaneously" occur at some point. Yay!

I hope to be able to meet you there! I'm attending Friday and, probably, a bit on Saturday. How does one know that a Pen Posse is occurring?

David

Sponsored Content

|