Modern Pens: The Omas 360

raging.dragon

Beautiful collection! Thanks for sharing and the info about them.

Despite the little capacity of the piston, the 360 demos are truly pieces of art.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• georges zaslavsky

• youstruckgold

• Mags

fpn_1348002718__omas360-t2-capped.png

fpn_1348002742__omas360-t2-uncapped.png

Next up is the 360 T2, released in 2004 it is (so far as I know) the first 360 based numbered limited edition. These pens were notoriously difficult to produce, and there were even (unlikely to be correct) rumours that the expense of producing this pen and the other T2 Titanium pens pushed OMAS's finances over the brink leading to LVMH selling off the brand in 2007 to Xinyu Hengdeli Group of Hong Kong. In any case, the difficulty and expense of producing these pens almost certainly contributed to a short production run. A total of 120 numbered pens were produced plus an unknown number of prototypes marked "PROTOTIPO" (mine is one of the latter). At least a few unmarked pens have also show up on the market recently, leading some to suspect they're fakes. However, considing the small number of pens and the infamous difficulty of manufacturing the 360 T2, I think I more likely these pens were either: specially commmissioned bespoke pieces, original unmarked T2 prototypes, or recent unmarked prototypes for the 2012 360 Vintage LE DLC (which is pretty much identical to the T2 except the Titanium surfaces are coated in Diamond Like).

The cap is solid Titanium, and while I cannot be certain whether the barrel is solid Titanium or an overlay, the construction of the cap combined with the low density of Titanium and substanial weight of this pen lead me to suspect it's solid. Titanium is extremely corrorsion resistant (rivaling Gold and the Platinum Group metals) and thus is commonly used by OMAS and others for nibs and filling system components that are in regular contact with ink. So an internal plastic liner wouldn't be necessary to protect the metal. From what I can see while actuating the blind cap the piston mechanism is made from plastic, probably using the same internal pieces as the standard 360.

Appearance and Design: The shape and trim are identical to the original 360, including the decorative greek key bands on the barrel and section. The trim and 18K gold nib are Rhodium plated. What makes the T2 unique is it's matt grey Titanium cap and barrel. The section is also Titanium. Like sterling silver, and unlike other metals, I find that the Titanium remains easy to grip even whit perspiration dampened fingers.

Weight and Dimensions: Thanks to it's metal construction the T2 is considerably heaver the original 360; however, Titanium's low density keeps the weight reasonable. I find that it is sligthly heavier than the exotic wood 360's with their Sterling Silver sections, and alot lighter than the Sterling Silver Imagination. Otherwise, there are no noticable changes to their dimensions.

Capped Length: 5.92" / 150 mm

Uncapped Length: 5.2" / 132 mm

Posted Length: 7.1" / 180 mm

Section Diameter: 11.4 - 13.6 mm

Barrel Diameter: 14.7 mm

Cap Diameter: 16.8 mm

Nib and Performance: Identical to the original 360.

Filling System: Identical to the original 360.

Edited by raging.dragon

fpn_1348005735__omas360-imagination-capped.png

fpn_1348005766__omas360-imagination-uncapped.png

fpn_1348006034__omas360-imagination-nib.png

Introduced in 2005, the OMAS Imagination was the second 360 based numbered limited edition, described by OMAS as follows:

2005, The Year of Imagination Quanta, Relativity, Strings... Human imagination to invent concepts

and theories to understand our Universe. Limited Edition: 905 numbered Fountain Pens, solid silver

and lacquer.

Omas dedicates its first Limited Edition to all those who, thanks to their ability to create the

non-existent, have contributed to the knowledge of the Universe and its Laws, a tribute to and, at the

same time, a memory of the international World Year of Physics, wanted by Unesco, to celebrate

the 100th anniversary of the “Annus Mirabilis”, the peak of the development of Physics, its arrival

and starting point.

The three sides of the Omas 360, futuristically made of 925‰ sterling silver, feature diamond

engravings of rare skill that reveal the formulas of the Theory of Restricted Relativity, Quantum

Theory and Superstring Theory.

A night-blue line represents the long journey from the Earth to the Space, from the infinity as

imagined by Roman and Greek philosophers, somewhere between science and fantasy. It goes

along with them, winding albeit with right angles, marking every step of Man and his achievements,

his considerations on a reality that combines and melts together rationality and spirit.

Thanks to FPN member jar for posting the OMAS catalogue in which I found this description, as it saved me the aggravation of digging the Imagination box and papers out of storage and is available for anyone following this thread. Additional information on this pen can be found in the Classic Fountain Pens archives and an old Stylophiles article.

If you're wondering why the photos show two different nibs, I purchased this pen from Classic Fountain Pens with a custom EF semi-flex nib by John Mottishaw. They warned me that the pen would likely be too heavy to use comfortably with such a delicate nib, and they were right. So I've subsequently pulled the semi-flex nib and replaced it with the Imagination's stock M nib. I'm planning on installing the semi-flex nib in the Ebony 360 pictured elsewhere in this thread.

Appearance and Design: The shape is identical to the original 360; however, there are no cap, section or barrel bands and the Imagination has a unique clip that I believe represents the Abbacus. The Rhodium plated 18K nib is engraved with a grid pattern and unplated Gold vector symbols (arrows). The body is engraved with famous Physics formulas as described above in the OMAS marketing blurb. This pen is made of Sterling Silver, and based on the very stout weight it must be pretty much solid Silver. I assume the piston filling mechanism includes a plastic liner to prevent ink from contacting and corroding the Silver barrel.

Weight and Dimensions: The Imagination is a heavy pen, heavier than even the huge chunk of Sterling Silver which is Conway Stewart's Belgravia. Otherwise, it's dimensions are identical to those of the original 360.

Weight: 99.5 g

Filling System: Identical to the original 360.

Beautiful collection! Thanks for sharing and the info about them.

Despite the little capacity of the piston, the 360 demos are truly pieces of art.

I'm a huge fan of the 360 design. I opted to collect variants that I though were special in some way: demonstrators, LE's, the exotic woods, and the burkina. I'm contemplating selling off a pen or two to raise funds to complete the collection. Ink capacity doesn't matter much to me, for me the only drawback to the design is a poor cap seal and resultant evaporation of water from the ink.

• 2 weeks later...

Great collection. I am a big fan of 360 myself.

I believe the series was started in 1997. In 2007 they issued the transparent celluloid limited edition already mentioned above.

You might also like to know that around 2000 Omas issued a number of colored full size 360. I own one green, I am aware of one yellow and red.

Another rare find is the 360 tabellonis. A regular 360 dark red with monochrome nib, not sure whether magnum or full size. It was issued in a limited number for the guild of Italian public notaries.

I own a 360 full size in yellow color issued for the store Bittner (88 pieces, not sure about the year).

Great collection. I am a big fan of 360 myself.

I believe the series was started in 1997. In 2007 they issued the transparent celluloid limited edition already mentioned above.

You might also like to know that around 2000 Omas issued a number of colored full size 360. I own one green, I am aware of one yellow and red.

Another rare find is the 360 tabellonis. A regular 360 dark red with monochrome nib, not sure whether magnum or full size. It was issued in a limited number for the guild of Italian public notaries.

I own a 360 full size in yellow color issued for the store Bittner (88 pieces, not sure about the year).

• 1 month later...

Above in post #11 I mentioned that there were triangular pens preceeding the 360, including the Lamy Safari and Parker 75 which are both round pens with triangular gripping sections. However, before those there was the Tri-Pen Triad, a pen I didn't mention previously because I'd forgotten it's name.

The Tri-Pen Triad design is very close to that of the post 2007 OMAS 360 combining a triangular cap and body with a round tapered section. Unlike the 360's simple snap on cap, the Tri-Pen used a rather baroque cap that required screwing and unscrewing the cap crown/finale while holding the cap and barrel stationary relative to one another. The cap couldn't be pulled off and attempting to unscrew it normally would not only fail, but very likely damage the cap. A high quality, and presumably relatively expensive, pen introduced during the Great Drepression it never had a chance in the market. Only a small number were made and surviving examples are uncommon.

Despite never having seen one of these in person, I find them fascintating. Perhaps someday I'll add a Tri-Pen to my collection. In the meantime, photos and additional information can be found on David Nishimura's web site:

http://www.vintagepens.com/Triad.shtml

Edited by raging.dragon

I have a lovely Omas LE pen. I bought mine from a very knowledgeable fellow in Toronto.....thanks again Raging Dragon!

The posts, pictures are wonderful. I looked at these pens and as you remember said , "no thanks". Then I wrote with the fine you had pre tuned the nib to be a nice wet writer and had to own the extra pen you were parting with.

I share this trivia to make the point that you should try one of these. Don't pre-judge the triangular design as not for you. Well that and Raging Dragon knows his pens and took my cheque at the pen club meeting. ;)

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I think I can definitely place the 360 release in 1996. The 360 Lucens was released in 2006 and is described on the Kenro website as celebrating the 10th anniversary of the 360. Also on the Kenro website the 2012 Turquoise Vintage LE is described as being released 16 years after the first 360.

http://www.kenroindustries.com/O-360-Lucens.html

http://www.kenroindustries.com/O-360-Vintage-Turquoise.html

I have a lovely Omas LE pen. I bought mine from a very knowledgeable fellow in Toronto.....thanks again Raging Dragon!

The posts, pictures are wonderful. I looked at these pens and as you remember said , "no thanks". Then I wrote with the fine you had pre tuned the nib to be a nice wet writer and had to own the extra pen you were parting with.

I share this trivia to make the point that you should try one of these. Don't pre-judge the triangular design as not for you. Well that and Raging Dragon knows his pens and took my cheque at the pen club meeting. ;)

Mags

You're welcome! :embarrassed_smile:

I took some photos of the pen before I sold it to you, and I'll be using when I write up the Vintage LE's.

Edited by raging.dragon

Introduced in 2006, the OMAS 360 Lucens was the third 360 based numbered limited edition, described by OMAS as follows:

...when they grip an object to write, the fingers form a triangle.

In 1996, Omas introduced the most revolutionary and ergonomic pen ever designed.

Thanks to its shape, the fingers naturally rest in the right place for even weight distribution on all

sides and the correct nib angle.

Omas is celebrating the tenth anniversary of this extraordinary model, often imitated but in vain,

with a combination of tradition and the avant-garde.

The fascination of the transparency and colour of the celluloid in the legendary Extra Lucens of the

30’s, a milestone in the company’s history and one of the pens most sought-after by collectors, made

using the original techniques of those times, gives unique value to the pure design of the model.

As in the Extra Lucens, it is embellished by three fine darts, while the specially designed clip

symbolises both collections with its “wheel” end and dynamic lines.

The elegant nib holder is the perfect accompaniment to a symbolic nib engraved with the two

significant dates, 1996-2006.

Gianluca Malaguti Simoni (2006)

Thanks go to FPN member jar for posting the OMAS catalogue in which I found this description. The 360 Lucens is available with either High Tech (Silver and Rhodium plate) or Gold (Vermeil and Gold Plate) trim, at total of 500 fountain pens, 180 rollerball pens and 50 sets of matching fountain pen and rollerball were made with each trim option.

I haven't added a 360 Lucens to my collection yet, so I'll update the thread with photos when I get one. A 360 Lucens with High Tech (Rhodium) trim cab be seen earlier in this thread in post #16: it is the topmost pen in the first photo. It should also be fairly easy to find pictures elsewhere on the web.

Appearance and Design: These pens are similar in design to the Ebony, Snakewood and Burkina described above. They retain the general shape and trianglular section of the original 360; however, the section is solid unadorned hallmarked stirling silver or vermeil (gold plated stirling silver). Instead of the single solid sivler cap band or wide greek key engraved with narrow bands on either side, the Lucens features three narrow cap bands. Additionally a large roller clip like those used on the post-2007 Arte Italiana Milord and Paragon - it may well be the exact same clip used on the current Paragon. They are made from OMAS's blue Lucens celluloid, with a marbled blue cap and a body of mixed marbled blue and transparent amber.

Weight and Dimensions: With their vermeil or sterling silver sections these pens are considerably heavier than the original 360, and presumably similar in weight to the Burkina, Snakewood and Ebony. Otherwise, these pens appear to share the same dimensions as the original cotton resin 360.

Nib and Performance: Presumably identical to the original 360.

Filling System: Piston, presumably identical to the original 360.

Can I just say, what a stunning collection of 360's. Bravo! :notworthy1:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

Introduced in 2008, the OMAS Personal Computer was the fourth 360 based numbered limited edition. Like the Imagination this pen doesn't include 360 in it's name, but is still obviously based on the 360 design. It was described by OMAS as follows:

During 2008 the number of Personal Computers in the world reached one billion: this is almost one

for every seven people living on earth!

Omas wants to celebrate this special and important moment, which combines technology and

emotion, in the history of world progress.

In the recent past, the arrival of the PC and its mass distribution in everyday life had seemed to

mean the gradual disappearance of the pleasure of writing by hand. In actual fact, contrary to

what you might imagine, the irruption of the High Tech world has paradoxically encouraged the

rediscovery of the uniqueness and emotion which writing can provide.

The FPC collection, available in Fountain Pen and Roller Ball models, has been made in treated

aluminium, paying homage to one of the most commonly used materials in the High Tech environment.

The use of this technological material also gives the pen weight and ideal balance while writing.

The new Omas Limited Edition has been designed to celebrate this event and covers the basic

stages which, from the first calculation tools used by mankind, have over the centuries led to the

invention and continual improvement of the computer.

The 360 model, which has been a design icon for many years and is definitely OMAS’s most

“futuristic” collection, has therefore been reinterpreted with a guilloché decoration on the three

sides of the pen: the two front sides give a detail of the design of the first hard disk made in 1956; the clip affixed to these sides represents a stylized form of an abacus used in 1200 AD. The third side shows a detail of the design of the CRAY X1 Supercomputer, created in 2003 and capable of

carrying out 52.4 thousand billions of operations a second.

The incisions on the nib-holder and tip-holder represent Greek and Roman calculation tables from

500 BC to 500 AD.

Finally, the OMAS nib presents the stylized form of a ruler used in 1650.

Gianluca Malaguti Simoni (2008)

Thanks to FPN member jar for posting the OMAS catalogue in which I found this description. OMAS made 2008 of these pens, 1008 fountain pens and 1000 rollerballs. This is another 360 variant I haven't added to my collection yet, so I'll update the thread with photos when I get one. For now photos can be found online, or is the catalogue linked above.

Appearance and Design: These pens are most similar to the Imagination. The shape is identical to the original 360; however, there are no cap, section or barrel bands and the clip is a unique design intended to represent an abacus. The Aluminum alloy cap and body, and Rhodium plated 18K nib are decorated with thematic engravings described above in the OMAS catalogue excerpt. I assume the piston filling mechanism includes a plastic liner to prevent ink from contacting and corroding the Aluminum barrel.

Weight and Dimensions: I haven't handled one of these pens, nor found complete specifications for them, so the following is speculation. Aluminum is one of the lightest metals, so I assume that this pen is noticably lighter than the 360 T2 Titanium and far lighter than the Imagination, yet still slightly heavier than the all resin 360's. I won't hazard a guess at how it compares to the resin and woood pens with Sterling Silver sections. Otherwise, I presume it's dimensions are identical to those of the original 360.

Nib and Performance: Presumably identical to the original 360.

Filling System: Presumably identical to the original 360.

Duplicate. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by raging.dragon

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1342166526__omas360le-2011blue-01.png

fpn_1342166591__omas360le-2011blue-02.png

In 2011 OMAS released the first 360 Vintage Limited Edition. A limited edition of 360 pens in translucent dark blue cotton resin with Rose Gold plated nib and trim.

Appearance and Design: Identical to the original 360, except for ridges on the cap that are presumably intended to provide a better grip while capping and uncapping the pen.

Weight and Dimensions: Identical to the original 360.

Filling System: Piston, identical to the original 360.

Edited by raging.dragon

fpn_1342167703__omas360le-2012red-01.png

fpn_1342167788__omas360le-2012red-03.png

fpn_1352519814__omas360-2012red-nibs01.png

fpn_1352519835__omas360-2012red-nibs02.png

In 2012 OMAS released the second 360 Vintage Limited Edition. A limited edition of 360 pens in transparent red cotton resin with Rhodium plated nib and trim.

Appearance and Design: Identical to the original 360, except for ridges on the cap that are presumably intended to provide a better grip while capping and uncapping the pen.

Weight and Dimensions: Identical to the original 360.

Nib and Performance: Now here's where things get intesting. I got an EF nib, and the nib tipping and line width were both noticably thicker than the EF nibs on several of my previous 360's, including the blue Vintage LE from one year earlier. The nib close up photos above compare the 2012 Rhodium EF nib to and older Rhodium M and Gold EF nibs of the Vision HT and Vision Amber respectively. I didn't have an F nib to compare to; however, the tip size of the 2012 nib falls between that of the older EF and M nibs.

Filling System: Piston, identical to the original 360.

Next up are two OMAS 360 Vintage LE's that have never been part of my collection.

2012: Titanium DLC Vintage LE

• appears to be much like 360 T2 Titanium except:
    • titanium is coated with black Diamond Like Carbon (DLC)
    • nib and trim plated with rose gold
    • nib engraved with triangle symbols

[*]limited edition of 60 fountain pens and 12 rollerballs

2012: Turquoise Vintage LE

• similar to previous blue and red 360 vintage LE's except for colour
  • made from transparent turquoise cotton resin
  • available with either Rhodium or Rose Gold plated nib and trim
  • limited edition of:
    • 360 fountain pens and 96 rollerballs with Rhodium trim
    • 360 fountain pens and 6 rollerballs with Rose Gold trim

And here are some quick summaries of other limited and special editions based on the original 360 which I know exist, yet for which I lack photos and/or sufficient information to justify writing individual posts for each:

2000: Omas Club 75th Anniversary LE

• orange cotton resin with High Tech (Rhodium plated) nib and trim
  • 3 bands on cap and section like 1988 Ogiva based MoMA (Museum of Modern Art)
  • unknown number produced

2002: Colonial

• burnt umber cotton resin with High Tech (Rhodium plated) nib and trim

2010: Erasmus Certified Limited Edition

• burgundy cotton resin with High Tech (Rhodium plated) nib and trim
  • limited edition of 1950

Year Unknown: 360 MOMA

• blue/black with HT trim with High Tech (Rhodium plated) nib and trim
  • 3 bands on cap and section like 1988 Ogiva based MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) and 2000 75th Anniversary LE
  • only reference I can find is on A.C Vechietti website, so this pen may have been a special edition made for this store

Year Unknown: 360 Zenith Edition

If anyone has photos or more information on any of these pens, or other 360 special editions and variants which I don't know of, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks for adding the posts. An Administrator should be adding most of theninformation as an archive. I say most as my posts are deletable.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

How many times can you cap and uncap a resin Omas 360 before the step on the section becomes so worn out that it can no longer hold the cap in place? I refer to the resin pens specifically because the metal sections on some models should confer them immunity from being worn out.

Edited by kauloltran

How many times can you cap and uncap a resin Omas 360 before the step on the section becomes so worn out that it can no longer hold the cap in place? I refer to the resin pens specifically because the metal sections on some models should confer them immunity from being worn out.

I haven't hit that point with any of my pens. I don't recall seeing anyone reporting this happening to their pen. So I guess the caps hold up fairly well.