The Kaweco Dia 2

somnath1077

Here's a quick review of my latest acquisition --- the Kaweco Dia 2. A review of the first edition of Kaweco Dia can be found at:

www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/193562-kaweco-dia-chrome-black-classic/

The pen came in tin box along with a pack of cartridges. Nothing fancy here but the box does have a vintage look and feel.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8170/7961341748_0faf787e22.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7961340744_9937880bf3.jpg

1. Appearance and Design:

The pen I purchased is black in color with chrome accents. The cap is a screw-on cap; the clip is a little stiff

but functional. When capped, the pen is about the same length as a Pelikan M600. With the cap posted, the pen is

about half a centimeter longer. It's also heavier than the M600. I can comfortably use the pen even when uncapped,

but even with the cap posted, the pen is well-balanced.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/7961340110_831a632b57.jpg

Below, from left to right: Kaweco Dia 2, Pelikan M600, Pelikan M215

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7961336982_d4fb491874.jpg

2. Construction and Quality:

The pen is made from acrylic and is solidly built. The chrome accents give it a very distinguished look. My pen

has a medium point steel nib and a plastic feed. The nib-feed assembly is friction-fitted and can be pulled

out easily. This is a CC pen so no fancy filling system here. The converter that came with the pen is okay but

looks cheap. For the price I paid (EUR 74) I expected something better.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/7961339112_d99aeed383.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7961335988_3d19e47f93.jpg

3. Performance:

This pen wrote right out of the box--no flushing with dish-soap, no cleaning was required with this one. The pen

writes quite wet and there was no skipping.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7961335048_2a9c7c80e5.jpg

I just have one major complaint. Well actually two. From the pictures, you can see that the nib is smallish

for a pen of this size. Why couldn't Kaweco slap on a bigger nib? The other has to do with the converter.

I know expecting that Kaweco would issue a piston-filler version of this is asking for too much but at least they

can provide a better (and possibly larger) converter.

Hope you enjoyed this little review!

Edited by somnath1077

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• somnath1077

• The Good Captain

• rwilsonedn

• mikehodgman

Hope you enjoyed this little review!

I did, indeed. Thank you very much for sharing this information. It was nicely done, and I appreciate the size comparisons. Do you know if the Dia nib is the same size as the Kaweco Sport?

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

I have this pen and love it, thanks for reviewing! The nib/feed is the same screw-in unit used in the AL-Sport and Liliput, but not the Sport Classic.

The balance is great: it's one of the few pens I would use posted.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Is that a spring in the box? What's its purpose? To ensure the cartridge stays in place?

Yep that's a spring alright. It was inside the barrel and I guess it keeps the cartridge in place.

• 10 months later...

I'm looking at the Dia 2. It's been almost a year for you. What do you think of it now? Do you use it frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never? Is the writing quality still good?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Hi BlueMoon,

As a matter of fact, I brought my Kaweco Dia to work today. So, yes, I still use it regularly and it's in my regular rotation. The writing quality is still just as good as when I got it---must have improved because of regular use. I still don't like the converter but it hasn't let me down so far. I have to be careful about filling the pen everyday. However there is one problem: just after I fill the pen, it tends to flood. The flooding is temporary but goes away after I've wiped the nib and feed dry a few times---no damage to clothing thus far. I think this could be for a different reason though since I spike my inks with a little dishwash just to make them very well lubricated.

Edited by somnath1077

Nice pen! I've been very tempted by this one, but the nib does seem a little small for that size of the pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived this morning and I think it's great value for the money. I chose the Fine nib and it's a good one. I had the flooding occurrence but that was with a wet Diamine ink and I didn't get it with 4001 - no surprise there!

A great pen and the Diamine/Cult Pens 'Deep Dark Blue' looks good.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi BlueMoon,

[snip]. However there is one problem: just after I fill the pen, it tends to flood. The flooding is temporary but goes away after I've wiped the nib and feed dry a few times---no damage to clothing thus far. I think this could be for a different reason though since I spike my inks with a little dishwash just to make them very well lubricated.

Probably you do this already, but just in case: after you fill the converter, try rotating the knob the other way until you have forced a couple of drops out of the nib. Then twist the knob up again to draw just a bit of air into the converter. That might help the flooding problem.

ron

Probably you do this already, but just in case: after you fill the converter, try rotating the knob the other way until you have forced a couple of drops out of the nib. Then twist the knob up again to draw just a bit of air into the converter. That might help the flooding problem.

ron

I tried this, which I habitually do with my piston-fillers anyway, and it solved the problem straight away.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 1 month later...

Somnath...."you can see that the nib is smallish for a pen of this size"...I think that is quite common with modern German pens. Just look at Lamy pens or even Diplomats.

• 6 months later...

I have the Dia 2 in Black GT, with a medium nib. I, too, did not care for the appearance of the smallish nib size at first. As with many pens, the designer had something in mind. As with the Dia 2, it grows on you. After a while you cannot imagine changing one feature. the subtle, but intelligent compound arcs of the barrel are features someone spent a great deal of time refining. I like the bright trim. My pen wrote straight away, right out of the package. It's smooth. I then purchased a gorgeous Dia 2 ball pen to go with it, which takes the Parker-style refill, and my all time favorite refill, the Schmidt Easyflow 9000 in broad. This is a supremely pleasing pen for every day use at the office and general note taking. You may want to ditch it for a love letter or signing of the declaration of independence, but for everything else, it is a formal little pen with a well behaved disposition.

To compensate for the nib size, I also have an Elite. Which has a large #6 sized nib in Broad. It's now in Ankeny Iowa to get a proper stubbing from Dan Smith. Both of these pens have wonderful Kaweco design cues that indicate their heritage, but they are very different pens. I have had a couple Sport models which I did not warm up to. Although people say the aluminum versions have a better feel to them.

• 8 months later...

It's a nice looking pen however I wish the nib was slightly larger as I think a number 5 nib looks too small on it.

• 1 year later...

I am thinking of buying the Dia2 and have a questions about nib choice. I tend to write with a fine or extra fine nib. So wonder how these two sizes compare as there seems to be such a range in fine nibs. My Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib writes much drier and with a thinner line than by go to Waterman Charleston. So I don't know whether to order the Dia2 with a Fine or Extra Fine nib. Is it easy and not too costly to replace a nib on said pen? Thanks all.

I am thinking of buying the Dia2 and have a questions about nib choice. I tend to write with a fine or extra fine nib. So wonder how these two sizes compare as there seems to be such a range in fine nibs. My Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib writes much drier and with a thinner line than by go to Waterman Charleston. So I don't know whether to order the Dia2 with a Fine or Extra Fine nib. Is it easy and not too costly to replace a nib on said pen? Thanks all.

Different insert nibs that fit Kaweco Sport pens are readily available, and aren't too costly. However, I tend to prefer the Kaweco F nib to their EF. They don't have wet feeds.