The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Limit To Soaking?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:49

I thought the bulletproof inks I used had some kind of varnish.  Some showed ink creep that was the worst I ever saw. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:38

I thought the bulletproof inks I used had some kind of varnish.  Some showed ink creep that was the worst I ever saw. 

Well, Noodler's "Bulletproof" inks use cellulose-reactive dyes, no varnish of any kind.  Apparently, to make those reactive dyes work in fountain pen inks, you need to add lots of surfactant to get them to flow well.  Nib creep is a side effect of that.  

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#23 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:00

I'm not Ron, of course, but the "bulletproof" ones behave in some respects like a pigmented ink. They aren't pigment inks, of course, but nevertheless, something settles out if they are left undisturbed, and they like to leave a thin film behind on non-porous surfaces (you'll find it on the underside of your nib, most likely).  Diluting them doesn't change this property, though it stands to reason that the amount of settling is reduced proportionally by dilution.  Still think they'd be high maintenance no matter how much you diluted those sorts of inks.

Hi,

+1

I too am not the esteemed Mr Ron Zorn, yet I dare offer my meager contribution as to the relative maintenance that one might have to deal with some of the cellulose reactive inks.

My experience indicates that water alone may not be enough to clean-up after all such inks. Of particular note is the contribution of Member amberleadavis as remarked upon by Member79spitfire  http://www.fountainp...foil/?p=2529031  

Some Members have found that not all cellulose-reactive inks require a full tilt clean-up regimen, yet there are enough instances of such that caution and common sense are watchwords when matching ink to pen. 

> vide Easiest/Hardest Pen In Your Collection To Clean For Ink Changing? http://www.fountainp...ging/?p=2658017

After choosing an ink+pen combo, much of maintenance has to do with nuances of pen handling during use, and frequency of rinse/fill/flush/cleansing.

I reckon one is always working up to the headroom of the pen to tolerate inky accumulation, so in this instance I will repeat myself, "... at the first sign of a pen not performing/filling as it did initially, one should flush the pen to remove any ink residue that may be the cause - it won't get better by itself."

Bye,

Not Mr Zorn

Edited by Sandy1, 24 September 2015 - 10:54.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#24 RonLyke

RonLyke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:27

Thanks to the "Not Rons".

Sponsored Content

|