Limit To Soaking?

wbc

I thought the bulletproof inks I used had some kind of varnish. Some showed ink creep that was the worst I ever saw.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wbc

• mhosea

• RonLyke

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the bulletproof inks I used had some kind of varnish. Some showed ink creep that was the worst I ever saw.

Well, Noodler's "Bulletproof" inks use cellulose-reactive dyes, no varnish of any kind. Apparently, to make those reactive dyes work in fountain pen inks, you need to add lots of surfactant to get them to flow well. Nib creep is a side effect of that.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I'm not Ron, of course, but the "bulletproof" ones behave in some respects like a pigmented ink. They aren't pigment inks, of course, but nevertheless, something settles out if they are left undisturbed, and they like to leave a thin film behind on non-porous surfaces (you'll find it on the underside of your nib, most likely). Diluting them doesn't change this property, though it stands to reason that the amount of settling is reduced proportionally by dilution. Still think they'd be high maintenance no matter how much you diluted those sorts of inks.

Hi,

+1

I too am not the esteemed Mr Ron Zorn, yet I dare offer my meager contribution as to the relative maintenance that one might have to deal with some of the cellulose reactive inks.

My experience indicates that water alone may not be enough to clean-up after all such inks. Of particular note is the contribution of Member amberleadavis as remarked upon by Member79spitfire https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/233669-adhesion-noodlers-benevolent-badger-blue-on-mylar-aluminium-foil/?p=2529031

Some Members have found that not all cellulose-reactive inks require a full tilt clean-up regimen, yet there are enough instances of such that caution and common sense are watchwords when matching ink to pen.

> vide Easiest/Hardest Pen In Your Collection To Clean For Ink Changing? https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/244152-easiesthardest-pen-in-your-collection-to-clean-for-ink-changing/?p=2658017

After choosing an ink+pen combo, much of maintenance has to do with nuances of pen handling during use, and frequency of rinse/fill/flush/cleansing.

I reckon one is always working up to the headroom of the pen to tolerate inky accumulation, so in this instance I will repeat myself, "... at the first sign of a pen not performing/filling as it did initially, one should flush the pen to remove any ink residue that may be the cause - it won't get better by itself."

Bye,

Not Mr Zorn

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.