Appraising 1990's 149's

salty_ag

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z439/williamsdav/pen_stand_cap.jpg

So does the limited number of years that Montblanc made the bi-color 18k nibs make them any more collectable?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayCornett

• Barry Gabay

• talkinghead

• zaddick

So does the limited number of years that Montblanc made the bi-color 18k nibs make them any more collectable?

IMHO............no

Though the pen you show appears to have an OB or OBB nib...now that might make it more desirable to some.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

The shape of the 18K bi-color nib (1992-1996) is somewhat more elongated, less stubby than the tri-color 18K nib (1996-present). That makes it a more appealing design to me. The current nibs are very clean and responsive writers. There is no discernible difference in performance between the two. It's purely a matter of aesthetics as which nib you prefer.

Edited by Barry Gabay

Great desk pen you have there ! :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

They are just not so common, but not rare enough to deserve a different price tag, IMHO.

The shape of the 18K bi-color nib (1992-1996) is somewhat more elongated, less stubby than the tri-color 18K nib (1996-present). That makes it a more appealing design to me.

Same for me, that's why I kept the bi-color nib.

But according the FPN dating chart the 18k bicolor nib was made from 1990-1994. Do you have other informations?

Greetings,

Michael

Hello Mirosc,

There is some overlap in several areas of the chart. As collectors/users/writers recall particular dates or uncover MB documents or sales receipts, we can narrow or expand particular components. This broadens our understanding of the great model.

In 1990, in the US the 149 was selling with a 14K nib and ebonite feed. The next year, only the feed had changed, and the first-generation plastic feed appeared on the 149. A year later in 1992, your nib appeared in the US. There were likely 18K nibs in France prior to their distribution in other countries. Once the Masterich Treaty took effect and regulated many consumer products, it likely was easier for European mfgrs to make all of their nibs in 18K, rather than shipping different nibs according to the specifications of a particular country.

Best wishes,

Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

The shape of the 18K bi-color nib (1992-1996) is somewhat more elongated, less stubby than the tri-color 18K nib (1996-present). That makes it a more appealing design to me.

But according the FPN dating chart the 18k bicolor nib was made from 1990-1994. Do you have other informations?

Sorry Miro, but I had a giggle at that... :roflmho:

That is like asking Einstein if he has heard of the Theory of Relativity....

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

In 1990 [...]

Hello Barry,

thank you so much for broadening my knowledge about the model which I had chosen to like most!

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi Rick,

:embarrassed_smile:

me too, now that I have seen who I was asking (and not just typing away...)

Best wishes,

Michael

Greetings,

Michael

In 1990 [...]

Hello Barry,

thank you so much for broadening my knowledge about the model which I had chosen to like most!

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi Rick,

:embarrassed_smile:

me too, now that I have seen who I was asking (and not just typing away...)

Best wishes,

Michael

Also remember that transitions were not some firm date. Like most companies MB continued using parts until they ran out so transitions happen more like a spectrum than black and white.

OK Guys, It's getting a bit deep around here. Don't have my hip waders handy. Rick, put a couple of beverages in me and see how little I remember. My hat is always off to talking head, hari, georgesz, fred ryder, david, kai, jar, max, tom westerich, dear long lost niksch. . . and others. Those guys know so much about this model, and have better memories.

Edited by Barry Gabay

Just a couple of c worth... To the OP, enjoy your pen please.

I have been through a phase when I had to question and find out exactly when my pen was made etc, as if I were doing a genealogy search. Usually it ended up very confusing and had more questions than answers, because there was really no firm demarcation point when one part was introduced etc, all due to what was available to the factory at that particular time.

So, nowadays I just see if the pen writes well, the parts are largely fitting to the era and be done with it - so as to satisfy my curiosity if the seller was pulling wool in front of my eyes or not.

As for how much it's worth, why not throw it to ebay and set a 99c start and let people bid on it?

Take enough good photos (IMHO the one here did not do your pen justice) and I'm quite sure you'll find the right buyer.

BTW I have had like 10x 149's over the years (still got 8) and nowhere have I seen enough variations. I've since given up on understanding this line completely. :headsmack:

Edited by sunnerd

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

• 6 years later...

In 1990, in the US the 149 was selling with a 14K nib and ebonite feed. The next year, only the feed had changed, and the first-generation plastic feed appeared on the 149.

Barry, I am confused now. I have a 1990. 14k bi-nib. no serial number, GERMANY on the clip ring instead of West Germany.

In the "Dating Montblanc 149's" thread here on FPN and in a couple of groups on Facebook I was told that my feed is early plastic. But if plastic feeds were not out until 1991 this would be incorrect, right?

Barry, I am confused now. I have a 1990. 14k bi-nib. no serial number, GERMANY on the clip ring instead of West Germany.

In the "Dating Montblanc 149's" thread here on FPN and in a couple of groups on Facebook I was told that my feed is early plastic. But if plastic feeds were not out until 1991 this would be incorrect, right?

HI Ray sorry if I'm barging in on your question, it would probably be best to provide Barry Gabay details of your MB 149 pen such as 1. If you're the first owner & had bought it new from a retailer/boutique, 2. Got it preloved & that it had never been serviced before or taken apart for cleaning/repairs?. That would help Barry answer your queries. Also gathering from Sunnerd's previous post (#11), I'd haphazard a guess that that will clear up some of your queries.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

HI Ray sorry if I'm barging in on your question, it would probably be best to provide Barry Gabay details of your MB 149 pen such as 1. If you're the first owner & had bought it new from a retailer/boutique, 2. Got it preloved & that it had never been serviced before or taken apart for cleaning/repairs?. That would help Barry answer your queries. Also gathering from Sunnerd's previous post (#11), I'd haphazard a guess that that will clear up some of your queries.

No need to apologize for trying to help.

I got it from a doctor who bought it from an estate sale. As far as I know it was never used when he got it and he used it a couple of times and didn't like it and just put it away. He prefers Starwalkers. I disassembled the nib unit and the "bubble gum" was still intact.

Ray I think your pen is simply a "use available parts" pen from the factory. Maybe they had run out of enonite feeds, or maybe the pen was refreshed at the factory before leaving or maybe it was a repair for someone? It's hard to know and there are no specific hard dates of transitions. Some very specific features can narrow a window considerably, but in the end of the pen writes the way you like that is what matters.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Ray I think your pen is simply a "use available parts" pen from the factory. Maybe they had run out of enonite feeds, or maybe the pen was refreshed at the factory before leaving or maybe it was a repair for someone? It's hard to know and there are no specific hard dates of transitions. Some very specific features can narrow a window considerably, but in the end of the pen writes the way you like that is what matters.

I fully agree. I am just a curious type. lol

I am definitely in love with the pen.

Yeah, I completely get it. When I first fell for the 149 I was pretty into learning all the various elements that changed and their time lines. I still feel that way sometimes with uncommon elements (like how long "made in Germany" was impressed into the early resin caps or how long those caps has a breather hole), but it really is more about the enjoyment. Dating pens to relatively small time periods can be done from photos, but that still doesn't tell you how well the pen actually writes.

Wait until you get interested in oblique nibs... ;)

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yeah, I completely get it. When I first fell for the 149 I was pretty into learning all the various elements that changed and their time lines. I still feel that way sometimes with uncommon elements (like how long "made in Germany" was impressed into the early resin caps or how long those caps has a breather hole), but it really is more about the enjoyment. Dating pens to relatively small time periods can be done from photos, but that still doesn't tell you how well the pen actually writes.

Wait until you get interested in oblique nibs... ;)

I have been for almost as long as I have been into fountain pens. But it has to be a reverse oblique for me :)