Iridium Point Germany Pens.

jackparr2112

hello, i have a pen which i believe to be an iridium point Germany fountain pen and another pen similar to this. they both have matching designs and I am looking to see if you can help me. I am wondering on how much there worth and what real make they are.

it looks like its in a pair as both pens have exactly the same design, ones ball point and one fountain nib with the words 'iridium point germany'. there is also stones on them, 4 stones on one and one on another which i believe to be 3.4mm Swarovski Crystal Chips.

please can you help me find the right value of both of these pens.

I believe this to be the ball point pen.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=FBNQFoVIe-27oM:&imgrefurl=http://thewritersedge.com/twe.paladian.cfm&imgurl=http://thewritersedge.com/images_10/palade-0783B.jpg&w=400&h=333&ei=hRdBUObBIsq50QWKzYCgCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=255&vpy=204&dur=589&hovh=205&hovw=246&tx=139&ty=102&sig=106072411173804410788&page=1&tbnh=123&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:78

Email me

thankyou.

post-91239-0-02428700-1346443499.jpg

post-91239-0-56067300-1346443510.jpg

post-91239-0-08554800-1346443521.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kaweco

• jackparr2112

• Nick.Kosky

• sirius1701

Those appear to be Asian made pens... the Iridium Point Germany does not mean that the nibs were made in Germany or even in Europe for that matter

This is a standard marking on the majority of Asian nibs ... the IPG is believed to stand for the iridium being from Germany NOT the nib...

These nibs run the gamut from horrible to rather nice writing, it is a luck of the draw...

As for the pens themselves I can't give you any information... there are just too many manufacturers of pens like this in Asia, mostly in China and Taiwan

I don't think this has anything to do with where the tipping material came from. I think it has to do with the old "make it do, use it up" philosophy associated with New England but found everywhere in the world where basically poor people recycle what comes to hand.

After the rise of the ballpoint, whose effects were amplified by various general economic downturns, a number of German companies that manufactured nibs went broke. They or the bankruptcy trustees sold their equipment where there might be a buyer, which turned out to be the Far East. If you've got equipment that makes nibs that say "Iridium Point Germany," and to begin with it would have been good equipment, well maintained, you use it. That could be done without any real fraudulent intent. China has a huge domestic market and the Chinese have not done very much to sell their fountain pens outside Asia.

Once you've gotten started, there are questions of maintaining quality and possibly mobilizing a little fraudulent intent. But Chinese people buying cheap Chinese pens knew they were buying cheap Chinese pens. Confusion arises with trade across borders. So the situation now is that there are IPG nibs coming from Germany and elsewhere, at different quality levels. The DaniTrio pen I used to own, with a really good IPG nib, wasn't manufactured dishonestly. Neither, I would say, was the Italix Parson's Essential I bought from Peter Ford in England.

To sum up, IPG markings on a nib tell you pretty much nothing about the pen. There is other evidence, though.

hi, ive taken into account evrything what has been said, however im still puzzled at the value, can anybody help me on that one?

hi, ive taken into account evrything what has been said, however im still puzzled at the value, can anybody help me on that one?

As you can see, the set sells new at $39,95. When I could find it at the fleamarket for less than $5, I possibly would take it. ( Sorry, I am more interested in vintages)

This set was available on UK high streets from the German chain Tchibo. Sadly, I think it's worth very little. I say sadly because someone bought it for me, which was a nice thought. I do occasionally use the ballpoint.

I can also say I bought these two pens in Germany at a car boot near the town Bergen, I used to live in Germany so I believe these are the real Ipg..

I'm live in Taiwan also know some owners of pen factory, they made pens for clients from Euro. and US, they consume many IPG nibs every days.

As I know there are two kind of IPG nibs, one is real make by Germany and came from Germany, another just stamped "Germany".

The real Germany IPG nibs are good writing instruments, none Germany IPG nibs most only for decoration, you don't want use it to write anything.

And it has easy way to identify real Germany IPG nibs or fake one, use magnet. Over 99.9% fake Germany IPG nibs will be attracting by magnet. and all real Germany nibs whether IPG or not will not attract by magnet.

If you want to know your nibs are real or not, just put a magnet on side!

I hope those have help!

Hello,

yes, very informative. Alas the author did not mention Mutschler who originally made the Iridium Point Germany nibs.

Kind Regards

Thomas

I thought they're not in business anymore

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

.....................And it has easy way to identify real Germany IPG nibs or fake one, use magnet. Over 99.9% fake Germany IPG nibs will be attracting by magnet. and all real Germany nibs whether IPG or not will not attract by magnet.

If you want to know your nibs are real or not, just put a magnet on side!

I hope those have help!

Hello Sirius

Yeah! That`s it! Thank you very much, I never recognized that! That`s right, German IPG steel nibs are made of a strictly defined Austenit steel and this is not magnetic. And the formula of the V4A and V4A Supra steels contain alloy incredients, which all are not magnetic also. The magnetic attract of other nibs is minimal but I can feel and see it. Pelikan M200 steel nibs attract also, very weak but remarkable.

@ humsin: Yes, Mutschler went out of business in 2003. But I think big stocks of last production fountainpens are moving around the vendors and collectors. Many production machines had been sold after the bancrupty and Reform pens "Made in Germany" were today made IMHO in Slovenia.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Edited by Kaweco

• 4 years later...

Hello Sirius and everyone

Talking about this IPG nibs I found a no brand fountain pen at home that was a kind of a company gift with the airline name in this case.

After around 20 years or so, I used the pen again and it worked perfectly.

The nib says Iridium Point Germany with some engravings on it.

You said that if the pen doesnt atract a magnet its possible that its a real german one?

I put the nib near a magnet and nothing happened I mean, it was no attraction to the magnet.

So if there is no magnet attraction this could possibly be a german nib?

Here is the picture of the nib...

Best regards to everyone

Gisela

post-135407-0-05734900-1493244014_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

Today, I have bought one of these also, "Iridium point Germany" with some swirls and a flower, EF nib, on a no-name pen.

I thought at first that it was a vintage German school pen, but obviously, it isn't. Nothing wrong with a Chinese pen, per se, it just feels a bit like 'borrowed feathers' in my eyes...

Did the magnet test mentioned above, no drag, so I have a German nib on this pen, it seems...

:) 

The pen writes quite nicely, I will be using it in conjunction with my first ink review, coming up soon, of the vintage Rosendahl Cadet Blue ink. 

Stay safe,

Daneaxe

Irridium-point-Germany.jpg

20210626_193232.jpg