Parker Duofolds In China - Do You Think They Are Authentic?

timba

Hi,

I am living in China at the moment and decided to search the Chinese-language internet for Parker pens.

I noticed a number of online sellers, some with many sales and apparently good feedback history offering pens I had thought were fairly difficult to buy new - for example the limited edition Duofold Cloisonne. In some cases the prices asked seem cheaper than I would have thought.

I began to wonder whether or not these pens were authentic, or if someone is making fake Duofolds.

Looking at photos of the Cloissonne Duofold as an example, I wondered if any people with more knowledge of pens than me could shed some light on whether they thought these were authentic (or if there are some obvious/not-so-obvious mistakes).

Example 1: Cloissonne Duofold Box Set

(please excuse the Chinese text, there are many photos - this listing seems to be from a seller with a good reputation)

Example 2: Second Cloissonne Duofold Example

(also from a seller who has sold hundreds of pens)

Example 3: Final example of Cloissonne Duofold

(final example, this one if any of them I am suspicious of)

And just to show that other models are not left out:

Example 4: The orange Duofold

Example 5: The blue limited edition Duofold

(Please note: I have no evidence at all that any of the pens above are not authentic - so I don't want to imply anything against any of the sellers)

I know that China is a major market for Parker. Using a fountain pen is normal here (only yesterday I was filling out some government form marked "Use an ink pen - no ballpoints"). So it's natural that there's a big selection available. But as with many things here, there's also a large risk of fakes - I'd definitely want to inspect any of these in person before buying. Perhaps fakes are more likely as high-end pens are often given as gifts, and therefore not tested by the original buyer.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

(This is my first post on the forum, I hope I haven't done anything wrong.)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wangwei

• richardandtracy

• studiohead

• timba

I saw the links you attached down there.I am not sure the limited duofoldS are authentic or not,but you know "zhi fu bao"?It is a way to keep your money safe and buy authentic duofolds.First you pay your money to "zhi fu bao",then the seller will send the duofold to your place,after you receive the pen,you check this out,just to be sure it's authentic or fake.After your checking and the pen is OK,the next step is you ask the "zhi fu bao" to pay the money to the seller.

I think you haven not applied "zhi fu bao" ID,but you can ask your Chinese friends for help. :) Enjoy your internet shopping in China :) I hope it's not too late to tell you this way.

yours

WANG Wei

I love my dauther.

She is my everything.

You haven't done anything wrong.

:)

You will be welcome if you join the:www.penbbs.com Our spoken English is not smooth,but our written English is good,take me as an example.So I don't think the communication is a "block".

I love my dauther.

She is my everything.

I have not heard of Duofold fakes. However that does not mean they don't exist.

Kaigelu do a very effective copy of the Centennial (the K316), which is a very nice, high quality pen for a low price. Jinhao make a lookalike of the International (the Jinhao Century Mk2). It shows that China has the expertise, should they choose, to make fakes of a very high standard.

I have to confess I would be very wary of buying an expensive LE pen from a business vendor that I was not absolutely certain of. Particularly not one from a country where fakes are known to abound.

Regards,

Richard.

I have not heard of Duofold fakes. However that does not mean they don't exist.

Kaigelu do a very effective copy of the Centennial (the K316), which is a very nice, high quality pen for a low price. Jinhao make a lookalike of the International (the Jinhao Century Mk2). It shows that China has the expertise, should they choose, to make fakes of a very high standard.

I have to confess I would be very wary of buying an expensive LE pen from a business vendor that I was not absolutely certain of. Particularly not one from a country where fakes are known to abound.

Regards,

Richard.

The Kaigelu and Jinhao seem like brands from China . You live in China ever?

I love my dauther.

She is my everything.

No, I have never been to China or Hong Kong. The closest I have been is Singapore (not very close at all!), where I only stayed a few hours in the airport on the way to Australia.

The Jinhao and Kaigelu brands have impressed me rather more than the Hero brand, due to high quality pens for remarkably little money. If I liked fine nibs, then I might like Hero pens rather more than I do.

Regards,

Richard.

I can say with some conviction that it is possible to get genuine New Old Stock out of production Parkers in China especially in the Departmental Stores which are slower moving. However, I will not trust buying them online or through any pen sellers. Considering that I have seen fakes for almost the complete current lineup, I wouldn't buy anything from them over the Internet. Worst part is that some of the original dealers also stock fakes as that is what the customer wants.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

The fakes I have seen are very, very hard to tell from the real thing. They even write as well, or better!

Parker (and all makers) set minimum prices for pens to be advertized and sold at. If you see a Parker model of any kind being offered for significantly less than other vendors, the smart money is that it's a fake.

As an example, I recently purchased a Dark Grey Laque 18k Sonnet here in the States from a reputable and certified Parker dealer.

I can go on the internet and find that pen from other vendors all advertizing it for the same or slightly higher prices, but none lower.

If I saw an ad for it for half the price, that would make me think twice before buying.

Good luck

AJ

• 4 weeks later...

I did a quick comparison to my 'live' Duofold Cloisonné and the only thing I can say about the first one is that the left half of the vase (the cloisonné) on the cap top should be in relief and I cannot make that out in the pictures, but this might be a matter of picture quality.

The second one is a very superficial picture, but that said it looks good.

The third link certainly gives a lot pictures but only of women's fashion and certainly no Parker Duofold pens.

In general: beware of a Cloisonné numbered above 3900 (there aren't supposed to be any).

HTH

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.