• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robynsnest

• Kifteut

• hedera

• andru

I've just ordered from them, so I'll keep you posted on the progress. I took the plunge because they accept Paypal. So far, so good.

They do have some lovely things...

Karen Traviss

www.karentraviss.com

I have ordered from them and their sister site pencilmein.jp several times. I never really had any serious problems, though one of my orders was delayed and they didn't notify me right away of it. Other than that little service hiccup, dealing with them has been pretty easy and straightforward.

Robert.

I have ordered from them and their sister site pencilmein.jp several times. I never really had any serious problems, though one of my orders was delayed and they didn't notify me right away of it. Other than that little service hiccup, dealing with them has been pretty easy and straightforward.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered from them and their sister site (which was fully in Japanese) before, to purchase a Midori journal. From what I remember, you have to email them for shipping costs as they have a few shipping options you can choose from. They respond to emails very quickly and were really nice to work with.

I dealt with them last summer - bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, when it seemed you could only get it in Japan (I may have been mistaken). No problems at all, and they sent a complimentary pencil. :)

Just checked: My order was made on May 13 (2011), and arrived in Canada on May 25 (2011!). There was email exchange on the 13th about shipping methods, as Astrea said.

• 4 weeks later...

I order Midori Traveler's Notebook related stuff from them regularly; they're always very friendly and fast, and shipping tends to be amazingly quick as well given the distance (they're in Japan, I'm in the Netherlands).

Replies usually take a day, because of the time difference.

Not sure how much shipping is, because I order very different things, but I think it's usually around 10 Euro (the cheapest option, which has always been fast and trouble-free).

You can order stuff from the site, and during checkout you will get a message saying they'll be in touch about shipping costs.

I have ordered from them several times. I live in the U.S. Their shipping can be slow and also they may not have an item. They will order it for you but it may delay your order. Usually, they responded to my email after two or three days. The shipping was not the quickest but it was not real expensive either.

I am happy with their service but you need to realize the slow response to emails and shipping. If you are in a hurry, then look for the item somewhere else.

I have placed several orders with them over the years. Their shipping charges were reasonable and I will gladly do business with them again.

When teaching writing, make sure your students don't learn to hate to write.

Primum non nocere

They have something I really want and just want to be sure it's a good site.

Three times in two years, I have two 1929 fix pencils, celebration issues, and only they stocked them, each time shipping was way cheaper than anything I have ordered from the USA, products were as described. Prices were good (depends on exchange rate I guess), not a lot of communication but that could be a language barrier. They stock things that you can't find other places, especially in the pencil line.

Happy to recommend,

Stella

• 2 months later...

At Saturday, December 8th, 2012 I ordered at pencils.jp, until now, they didn't process my order

I desperately need it before December 15th, 2012, is there anyone who can help??

Thank you.

You need to give more than a week when ordering from abroad. The 8th was a Saturday, so there was the weekend, and you have to remember about the time differences. Pencils.jp have done fine as far as I can see.

Edited by Sleepy

• 2 years later...

I've ordered 3-4 times from them great service. You pick out what you want and order it. Atsuko sends you an invoice, you do the Pay Pal thing and zip it's here. I live in New Mexico and Atsuko is the fastest shipper /deliverer of all across the pond East or West i order from. It's in LA in 24 h, Customs races it through and it's in my mail box at home in 5 days Max. It's almost like US Customs says lets process and hand carry it to USPS now. I've had things from UK, Europe, China, Hong Kong go through NY and Los Angeles or San Francisco, fall into a black hole and disappear for 5-7 days. Never happens with these folks. Once a package slipped under the tracking radar and then showed up in my mailbox 10 days later with no evidence of where it was post customs. Atsuko, knew I was looking for a Star Ferry Midori, they'd sold out. He got a shipment in , set one aside for me, Emailed me and said if you still need it I'm holding it for you. Other than a few online stores like Goulet, you don't get service like that any more. I highly recommend them. Usual disclaimers apply. They always seem to have the off the wall things I'm looking for and can't find anywhere else, not even Jet Pens or Cult Pens.

• 1 year later...

I've just had the worst online shopping experience with this 'company'. Atsuko is still the contact.

I placed my order and received the PayPal invoice which I paid immediately. A week passed and no shipping notice nor a reply to a question I had asked related to my order, so I sent an email asking when my items would be shipped. Some days later I received a response advising that she was waiting on one of the items to be restocked. I replied asking if she had another colour in stock and she didn't reply. Another week passed and she sent me an email advising that the package had been shipped that day.

This is appalling customer service and her attitude was one of total arrogance. The items were advertised as being in stock and she took my payment knowing that at least one item had to be ordered from the supplier. She had no intention of telling me that until I asked. From payment to shipping was almost three weeks with no communication from them regarding delays and definitely no response to the questions I asked. She was very speedy though in doing up the invoice for payment.

Edited by Kifteut

I purchase from them several times a year and they are a favorite supplier. I am no usually in a hurry and they have always met or exceeded my expectations. I figure some of the difficulties are over cultural and language differences, anyway I will continue to use them without hesitation.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

You may not be in a hurry to get your order. Nor may I be in a hurry to get my order every time either. All I expect is honesty in a transaction so I can make the choice as to whether I want to wait or shop elsewhere.

I buy from a lot of Japanese online stores whose written communication is a lot worse in terms of English ability than Atsuko's who offer exceptional and honest customer service. It's not cultural at all.

I have had nothing but very satisfactory and regular dealings. Atsuko has been diligent in tracing items not in stock and always courteous and the packaging has been exemplary.