Rotring 600

Craigtbone

I have wanted a Rotring 600 for a long time now and the urge to get one just will not go away. I do not know much about them though.

I am an engineer so the design does have a strong appeal to me. (I also have and enjoy some "pretty" pens as well.)

This is what little I have learned:

They are no longer in production.

Constructed from machined brass?

Original version had a rotatable sleeve on the cap to indicate nib size or color? Newer version does not have this feature.

I have a few questions:

Is the newer version as ruggedly constructed as the original?

Is the "silver" finish plated, nickle maybe? Or is it "painted" on?

How durable is the black finish? (I am not a fan of finishes that wear off easily.)

Are replacement nibs readily available, or difficult to find?

Were there any factory italic nibs made?

Ebay prices run from about $250 to almost $500. Are these real prices or do I need to be patient and wait for a lower priced one?

Any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craigtbone

• adallak

• rdh

• dst207

Levenger carries a pen it calls the L-tech, which mimics the look of the Rotring 600. IT's currently $79, according to the Levenger website. $250 for a rotting 600 is, to my thinking, way out of line -- even if it was one of the models that had a gold nib.

I have a 600 with the black finish -- loved the look of the pen, but the writing experience wasn't all that great (the nib would dry out very quickly if not in constant use). Still have it, but it's packed away. And the black finish does show wear after a time, especially on the edges of the hexagonal barrel.

I'll take a crack at a few of your questions, as I have one of the originals in silver finish.

The pen is indeed solid brass with a plated finish, although I'm not sure of the plating material itself for the silver finish. It may very well be a matte finish nickel plating. Mine has held up very well over the years. I have no direct experience with the black finish so I will not comment as to its durability. I'd venture a guess that the black finish is some form of powder coating. I don't think there were any italic or stub factory nibs - I don't recall seeing those as options when I purchased mine. As for replacement nibs, I've tried to locate some with no sucess. I wasn't really looking all that hard but I did come up empty. The prices on eBay are fishing expeditions, in my opinion. I would patiently search for an auction with rational participation. As much as I like mine, I would not part with $250 to replace it.

That said, I'm very fond of my 600. That it is of stout construction is one heck of an understatement and I have found mine to be completely reliable and it delivers a pleasant writing experience. Lastly, in the words of Gallagher, 'It'll teach the dumbest dog to play dead . . .'

Edited by JLT

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Mine has the Lava finish which seems very durable. The nibs write a little on the wide side. As an engineer, the pen had a very distinct draw to me. I don't see myself parting with mine.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

If I might naysay a bit:

I have a 600 (one of the later models) and am less impressed than I'm told that I should be. The cap feels loose, and wobbles something rotten if you cap the damned thing while writing. It feels very sold, and may well outlive me, but the lose cap is a sticking point. (The Cores don't do that, for heaven's sake.)

I'd go for a 700 if I was paying silly prices for a NOS or used Rotring, myself. Of course, that doesn't feel quite as solid, and I'm sure the clip would last about three hours if used heavily, but it's a lovely piece of '90s cod art deco.

I've had mine for about 20 years. Mine's a silver "old style".

See: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/225859-rediscovering-an-old-flame-rotring-600-content/

Just dug it out recently after a long period of inactivity. I also have a silver ballpoint which I bought at the same time and it definitely got more sustained use over a longer period of time. The silver finish (of the old style at least) seems to be pretty much bulletproof. My wife has a black finish ballpoint of similar vintage and I don't think it's really held up as well, although I haven't seen it recently. It does seem from casual ebay observation that the black finish probably doesn't hold up as well with heavy use. For someone who likes to use their pens, the durability of finish is a nice feature. Plus, how many things are "overbuilt" in that wonderfully Teutonic way that German-engineered things used to be (think 1950s/60s Mercedes)? Answer: nothing from anywhere is overbuilt now. Everything's "optimized".

My fountain pen is a medium and was used regularly for lots of drafting in the days before desktop computers were standard in a professional environment. It was a very reliable writer. I don't recall it drying out frequently (and I wrote, and thought while writing, a lot).

The steel nib is a very smooth writer, not scratchy or fussy at all.

On the pricing front, I've seen some in the mint or NOS range for $350. My suspicion is that, even thought they may not be a pen geek's ideal pen, people are reluctant to part with them.

They made obliques (OM and OB), I believe.

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

I have one of the newer styles (without the gnarled sections) in lava. I used it a lot for four or five years (it was the only pen I used during this period pretty much) and it held up well. The lava covering came off on the section where I grip the pen, but the black undercoating remained. Mine is a fine and I think I paid about 60 bucks for it in the early aughts. It's nib is hard as a nail but it lays down a smooth fine line. I don't know about $250 since that is real money and a pen would be hard pressed to convince me it was worth that, but everyone has different limits.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I bought two NOS 600s old style pencils a few years ago. They are made of brass and brass is heavier than steel. That's a very heavy pencil! It seems to be very solid and virtually indestructible, but if you drop it, the tip will bend because of sheer weight of the pencil. I straightened it up several times, got tired of it and just put it away. I cannot say much about 600 pens, but they may have the same issue with their nibs.

Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

If I might naysay a bit:I have a 600 (one of the later models) and am less impressed than I'm told that I should be. The cap feels loose, and wobbles something rotten if you cap the damned thing while writing. It feels very sold, and may well outlive me, but the lose cap is a sticking point. (The Cores don't do that, for heaven's sake.)I'd go for a 700 if I was paying silly prices for a NOS or used Rotring, myself. Of course, that doesn't feel quite as solid, and I'm sure the clip would last about three hours if used heavily, but it's a lovely piece of '90s cod art deco.

Interesting. The cap problem may be an issue with the newer models - just checked my old style and its very solid. That said, I find that the pen is well-enough weighted without capping.

Hi,

I have two examples of the original model.

The nib indicator on the cap has markings for BB to EF, OB, OM, plus one that is rather odd: it looks like an 'L', but the horizontal portion of that character is a bit short. I defer to those more familiar with German nib designations, but speculate it might be for a Left Oblique. (??)

There is a marked difference between the 18K F nib and the steel F nib : the 18K is a much more gentle ride, while the steel nib is quite 'austere'.

The model with the steel nib has been my go-to pen for field use, and has come through in excellent condition. It has been used by others on an ad hoc basis, "Hey, can I borrow your pen?" with nary a hiccup.

The only other pen I have come across that suits me for field use is the Pelikan P99 Technixx, LINK

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have a newer style, and the cap does wobble when posted, but the pen is not balanced when posted, so I generally do not post this pen. The pen is incredibly solid, but it is also thin. I don't mind this, but some might. The steel nib is excellent. They do come up occasionally in the classifieds, so be patient and you can find one. An engineer might also find a use for the awesome pencil. You can get one of those much more cheaply and there are at least 2 current models that look a lot like the 600 pencil. One is the L-Tech from Levenger and the other is a TWSBI mechanical pencil available on ebay.

Dave

I bought a 600 lava finish years ago for about $140. The F nib is one of my very smoothest, though a bit broader than many F's. Love the weight and durability. It's a pen I don't fear to carry outside the house or to put in a pocket. I think the 600 series is well worth seeking out.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thank you all for your input.

I find it curious that I am so attracted to such a business-like tool lacking in the "artistic" elements.

I will be patient and keep looking.

Craig T.

Thank you all for your input.

I find it curious that I am so attracted to such a business-like tool lacking in the "artistic" elements.

I will be patient and keep looking.

Craig T.

'Form follows function'?

Straightforward, elegance of design, durable, reliable. Lots for an engineer to appreciate!

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

I have wanted a Rotring 600 for a long time now and the urge to get one just will not go away. I do not know much about them though.

I am an engineer so the design does have a strong appeal to me. (I also have and enjoy some "pretty" pens as well.)

This is what little I have learned:

They are no longer in production.

Constructed from machined brass?

Original version had a rotatable sleeve on the cap to indicate nib size or color? Newer version does not have this feature.

I have a few questions:

Is the newer version as ruggedly constructed as the original?

Is the "silver" finish plated, nickle maybe? Or is it "painted" on?

How durable is the black finish? (I am not a fan of finishes that wear off easily.)

Are replacement nibs readily available, or difficult to find?

Were there any factory italic nibs made?

Ebay prices run from about $250 to almost $500. Are these real prices or do I need to be patient and wait for a lower priced one?

Any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

Hi Craig,

I am also an engineer (electrical) and a big fan of the Rotring 600 series. I've been going on an adventure collecting them, but they are getting more rare and expensive. From digging around and asking retailers, I've found lots of information on these pens, so I'll do my best to answer your questions with answers blended together since some of them share commonalities.

To first confirm, they are indeed out of production. There have been a few evolutionary variations of them, but all of the Rotring 600 pens have been out of production since the early noughties. Sanford Corp. (a division of Newell-Rubbermaid) acquired Rotring in 1998, and gradually began trimming its fine writing portfoltio. Rotring's technical drawing products have been sold off to Chartpak. Following acquisition, Sanford reduced Rotring to a mere brand, like it did with other companies it acquired, and produced beastly, grotesque writing implements with the Rotring logo stamped (such as the Rotring Core) that were inconsistent with what Rotring once stood for in terms of design and quality. The only Rotring 600s in production today are the mechanical pencils exclusively for the Japanese market. They are made by Holbein Works Ltd, a Japanese art supply manufacturer, under license. The pencils under this production run have undergone an evolutionary change from their initial release in the mid 1980s. FYI, Holbein had been tasked with producing some of the 600 pens for Rotring since the early 1990s, and the 600 pens weren't always marked with their country of manufacture. I guess the market in Japan and their demand for the pencils there was sustainable enough to keep them in production following Rotring's demise.

The Rotring 600s ewre indeed constructed from brass. The silver and black paint was applied via electrodeposition coating, similar to how some car bodies are initially painted at the assembly plant. I had JetPens confirm this for me when they contacted the 600 pencil manufacturer for me on my behalf. This is the only downside of these writing series, a rather weak coating of paint and paint composition. With rugged use, they will easily scratch, scuff, and eventually peel off to show some brassing. Nonetheless, their construction and design shows that they were meant to be workhorse pens, not the equivalent of "garage queens" to remain semi-permanently stored. If your pen starts showing paint loss, I'd say it's a good thing, as it's meant to be used. The black finish appears to be more sensitive, and the composition of its paint seems to be distinct from the silver; you'd notice the texture of the black versions feel more matte and smooth and will develop a patina with prolonged use while the silver versions feel rougher, but only just. However, the paint on the black ballpoint pens and mechanical pencil feels just as rough as the silver versions, so there was definitely an inconsistency in the composition of the black paint. If you reasonably take care of a Rotring 600 (e.g., don't drop it, don't let it drag on rough surfaces, and keep in a pocket, sheath, or away from rough surfaces and pens, etc.) the marks will be minimal.

In terms of versions, the were ALL ruggedly constructed; there were some aesthetic changes as they evolved, but they preserved their brass construction. The 'original version' did indeed have a knurled indicator that showed nib width for the 600 FP, lead size for the MPs, and ink color for the RB/BPs. The multifunction 600 Trio had in its place a knurled knob that the user turned to retract the writing component. The later version, called the Rotring 600 'Newton', eliminated the indicators, and the knurling as well, and introduced an anthracite grey, textured 'lava' coating that feels like touching a wet rock. However, the construction in this version partially improved with the addition of spring-loaded stubs on the grip to cap the pens instead of relying on friction fitting that the initial models had. However, there was also a 'transition model' of the FPs and RBs, which incorporated these spring loaded stubs but preserved the knurling; this model was the optimal design, IMO. Keeping a detailed chronology of the Rotring 600's aesthetic changes has been an interesting challenge as I've sought more of these pens. I've discussed this at length in previous posts so if you're curious about making feature comparisons or if you want to know more please feel free to check the relevant posts in my history, otherwise I'll severely bloat this one! Ultimately, it'll be your personal taste that will differentiate the pen versions. They're all of the same quality.

Replacement nibs are most certainly available. They did not make italic nibs, but oblique nibs are available in medium (OM), and broad (OB). Rotring also had a left-handed nib (L), which had a rounder tip with almost the same width as medium (M). The difficulty is finding the size you want for the right version. The initial version's nib style was distinct from the transition and Newton 600 models, being similar to the nib of the Rotring 900. The initial nib had a more trapezoidal shape while the latter two versions had a nib with more rounded edges. The only place where you can find nibs reliably is eBay Germany. Nibs for the transition and Newton models are available individually. I've only seen old version nibs for sale as part of the feed/grip assembly, making the purchase more expensive. Gold nibs for all versions are very rare, but they do pop from time to time. The nibs are friction fit for the transition and Newton models; I've succeed in carefully pulling them out with strong but restrained force.

In terms of acquiring a new Rotring 600, yes those $200+ prices on eBay.com are not uncommon. They've been steadily rising. You'd get a better deal buying one used, but not everyone goes that route. Sometimes, the occasional new seller offers his Rotring 600, and due to lower search ranking, gets lower exposure, increasing the probability that the pen might sell for less the average demand. There is one particular seller who is asking for extremely unreasonable prices for Rotring 600s, you'll quick know who it is, and steals photos from other listing and sources, including a photo of an old beat-up black FP shown on FPN--avoid him at all costs. Also, be aware that pen listed as 'new' will not necessarily be scratch- and mark-free--always ask the seller if this matters to you. Due to their end of production, many of these pens have been overstock, old stock, unused units handled by customers at pen shops, etc., and may even have a thin layer of dust on them. The best conditioned units tend to come from collectors, who may even be selling them as 'used' to their standards, even though they're likely to be as good as new.

HTH.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that extensive info flight.

I was not expecting to find one so soon but an original version in "silver" finish on its way to me. Medium nib.

In the last few years I have enjoyed using an italic (probably a stub really) and was hoping to get a B nib (or bigger) that could be re-shaped into a stub. Or maybe try to get an oblique.

Does the nib separate from the section or are they permanently attached to one another?

Are there any sources to get nibs or do I just need to monitor ebay (ebay Germany) and FPN?

As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

• 2 weeks later...

HTH and community,

I have been watching ebay and German ebay (ebay.de) the past few weeks for a Rotring 600 nib in B or OB. I have not seen one yet.

The search I am using is simply "Rotring 600" and "Rotring 600 fountain pen". Should I search for some other more specific wording?

Or does it just take a bit longer to find one?

Do the nibs come only as a complete section for the original 600?

So far I am loving this pen with its Medium nib. Anxious to try a B or OB.

Any guidance is most appreciated.

Craig T.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recntly purchased a Rotring 600 series 1 fountain pen with the knurled grip, black from regina on martini auctions and was dismayed to see that the cap has absolutley no ability to stay on the pen, it simply sits there, if you turn it past horizontal, it falls off. The plastic peice that i beleive is supposed to be securley fitted to the inside of the cap is completley detached, it is a little more stable posted but still wobbles, should i return it? or is there a way to fix this issue?

• 4 months later...

To first confirm, they are indeed out of production. There have been a few evolutionary variations of them, but all of the Rotring 600 pens have been out of production since the early noughties. Sanford Corp. (a division of Newell-Rubbermaid) acquired Rotring in 1998, and gradually began trimming its fine writing portfoltio. Rotring's technical drawing products have been sold off to Chartpak. Following acquisition, Sanford reduced Rotring to a mere brand, like it did with other companies it acquired, and produced beastly, grotesque writing implements with the Rotring logo stamped (such as the Rotring Core) that were inconsistent with what Rotring once stood for in terms of design and quality. The only Rotring 600s in production today are the mechanical pencils exclusively for the Japanese market. They are made by Holbein Works Ltd, a Japanese art supply manufacturer, under license. The pencils under this production run have undergone an evolutionary change from their initial release in the mid 1980s. FYI, Holbein had been tasked with producing some of the 600 pens for Rotring since the early 1990s, and the 600 pens weren't always marked with their country of manufacture. I guess the market in Japan and their demand for the pencils there was sustainable enough to keep them in production following Rotring's demise.

Very interesting information, flight--thanks so much for providing this. Are the Japanese made Rotrings you're talking about the ones showing up as Rotring 800? Those are the only ones I've found. They feature a fully retracting tip, which is nice... although I've seen some reports of them experiencing looseness over time. Still, they're beautiful to behold, in a black matte finish with gold trim.

Incidentally, there is another maker who is creating a knock-off of the Rotring 600 mechanical pencil named "Redcircle". Yeah, quite an obvious play on the old Rotring name. They are incredibly cheap in price, but very close in quality to the original. The only differences are that the hexagonal edges are a little rounded off, the clip is embossed with "Redcircle", and it doesn't appear to disassemble the same way as the old 600. Still, for the price you can't go wrong.

The Rotring 600s were indeed constructed from brass. The silver and black paint was applied via electro-deposition coating, similar to how some car bodies are initially painted at the assembly plant. I had JetPens confirm this for me when they contacted the 600 pencil manufacturer for me on my behalf. This is the only downside of these writing series, a rather weak coating of paint and paint composition. With rugged use, they will easily scratch, scuff, and eventually peel off to show some brassing.

I've found my Rotring 600's to be very rugged. I've carried a 600 black rollerball version in my pockets along with keys and have gotten only minor scuffs to the surface. There is definitely a patina that develops. It's semi-porous too, as the oils from your skin will be absorbed when writing in very warm temperatures. But resilient nonetheless. I've even tried strongly scraping my thumbnail against the black coating and find it withstands the abuse well. I even tried scraping it with smooth metal, to no lasting effect (yet I won't try anything sharp, as that will probably do the trick).

The later version, called the Rotring 600 'Newton', eliminated the indicators, and the knurling as well, and introduced an anthracite grey, textured 'lava' coating that feels like touching a wet rock.

Speaking of the lava finish, did you ever hear about a black version? I took a chance and recently bought one described as such. The seller didn't provide a very detailed photo of the pen, so it was hard to make out the finish being anything but black, so I deliberately asked a few specific questions. They confirmed that the finish is black but not completely smooth, having a textured quality. He swore that when he bought it many years ago, he chose this over the smoother black finish that was also available. Anyway, I'll know in another week when it arrives if it's really black lava. It could very well be that Rotring tried this out as a color variation just before the decision was made to discontinue the line.

There is one particular seller who is asking for extremely unreasonable prices for Rotring 600s, you'll quick know who it is, and steals photos from other listing and sources, including a photo of an old beat-up black FP shown on FPN--avoid him at all costs.

I know exactly who you are talking about. This seller bottom feeds off of eBay, participating in almost every Rotring 600 auction and frequently raises the bidding price if he doesn't manage to win. Oddly, at times he'll submit a rather low bid without increasing it, but then other times he will enter a more lofty follow-up price at the very end. Next, he takes the pen and lists it on his eBay store for $100-$200 more than what he paid, describing it as "very rare, impossible to find". These pens are not rare, but they're not terribly common either. I loathe such underhanded practices. What helps keep that kind of behavior alive is the buyer who is flush with funds and can't be bothered with searching or waiting, and will pay that high price. Anyway, it does appear like he is not bidding as high as he used to, perhaps because he sees so much of his lofty priced inventory not moving. :hmm1:

I have a couple examples of the gray lava finish and really like it. It does feel like it was applied in such a way to last a very long time. The only part that I see experiencing any change in quality is the section where you grip it. On my user fountain pen, it has darkened and smoothed out a bit. I may try applying a thin grip tape to help keep it from further wear. Essentially, it should last almost indefinitely. B)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small