Montblanc Lavender Purple

kronos77

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8294/7832130506_808ec7dc9d_z.jpg

mblp by kronos77, on Flickr

First, the scan looks a bit lighter here than it actually is.

Second, for those not familiar with the cheap paper I am using, it is Staples filler paper, made in Brazil and it is very fountain pen friendly. The nice behavior of MB Lavender Purple on this cheap stuff shouldn't fool anyone into thinking that they will get the same results on any cheap paper. It feathered and spread on Staples bagasse.

A note on water resistance. It really isn't but it survive a quick soak under the faucet with cool water. Much better than some inks that would have washed away instantly.

This is a fine, classy ink that should satisfy lovers of violet inks. Not as bright as PR Plum but more vibrant than many of the greyer purples out there. The flow is dryish but not like Pelikan inks. It could be used to slow down a really wet writer.

I think the shading that shows with these pens is fabulous, but something in between the wetness of the Pelikan and the relative dryness of the ef Safari would probably show it off better.

After careful consideration, I determined it isn't right for me. If someone in the Philly area wants to trade in person, let me know.

Edited by kronos77

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Tonux

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

Nice review for a nice ink. However I find this ink is too reddish for my taste, and the lack of adequate water resistance is annoying. To cope with this I mix Montblanc Lavender with Namiki Pilot Blue 1:1 and get a very nice bluish violet with decent water resistance. And I call it "Flighter Violette". :thumbup:

This is currently my favourite ink. Dark, a good flow and has worked well in each of the 3 pens I have used it in.

I haven't tried it for water-resistance but can confirm it doesn't have much staying power with hit white tea!

Thanks for the review.

You can't have too many fountain pens.....

Nice review, thanks. I've got a few purples in my collection and now might add another.

http://www.n2turners.com/N2Turnersv2.0/Icons_files/PenPic.jpg

Conway Stewart Wellington IF

Pilot Capless EF

Pelikan M800 F & M600 EF

Montblanc Classique M

Sailor 1911 MF

Kaweco Allrounder EF

Well I have the new shape bottle in Lavender Purple and an old shape bottle in Violet.

I didn't know they were the same colour

Nice review. Good to hear you say that the Lavender Purple is the same as their Violet. I thought that the two were different, even if very similar. As we all know, our own personal envisioning of definitions of "violet" and "purple" are often quite different. Also, IMO any real lavender (like the bunch growing just outside of my window here, no joke) is neither a violet nor a purple.

Ho hum, so I thought I'd take a closer look at the two. First, single/double/triple swabs of each on Leuchtturm 1917 yield colours which are basically identical:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB_VL_swabs.jpg

Then, a fast paper chromatography on blotting paper using a 1:1 water:isopropanol mixture also shows that they seem to be the same inks. The only difference I see is possibly a very slight one in regard to the retention time and total concentration of the orange area:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB_VL_chromatography.jpg

Short story long... there may be real, true differences which I don't see but could still experience, like improved flow and maintenance as well as reduced feathering and bleeding. I seem to remember that that was once reported here for MB's new issues of their blues and bottled blue-blacks, in comparison with their oldies. Sandy, do you happen to be in the vicinity?

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Yawn.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice review. Good to hear you say that the Lavender Purple is the same as their Violet. I thought that the two were different, even if very similar. As we all know, our own personal envisioning of definitions of "violet" and "purple" are often quite different. Also, IMO any real lavender (like the bunch growing just outside of my window here, no joke) is neither a violet nor a purple.

Ho hum, so I thought I'd take a closer look at the two. First, single/double/triple swabs of each on Leuchtturm 1917 yield colours which are basically identical:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB_VL_swabs.jpg

Then, a fast paper chromatography on blotting paper using a 1:1 water:isopropanol mixture also shows that they seem to be the same inks. The only difference I see is possibly a very slight one in regard to the retention time and total concentration of the orange area:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB_VL_chromatography.jpg

Short story long... there may be real, true differences which I don't see but could still experience, like improved flow and maintenance as well as reduced feathering and bleeding. I seem to remember that that was once reported here for MB's new issues of their blues and bottled blue-blacks, in comparison with their oldies. Sandy, do you happen to be in the vicinity?

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Yawn.png

I think that, while the same color, the Blue-Black now Midnight Blue is a far smoother flowing ink. Same is mostly true for Bordeaux now Burgundy Red, though I see a color change with this one (and a change for the better--more saturation of the same basic shade). I stocked up on Violet back when MB announced the changes, so with three bottle of the old Violet on hand I haven't bought the new Lavender Purple. Your test is a nice reassurance, though. Thanks, Mike.

• 2 years later...

I did a comparison of all three inks... but I don't remember where the thread is.

And I disagree that the inks perform the same. I pulled out my bottles.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/MB_Purple1.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/MB_Purple2.pnghttp://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/MB_Purple3.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It's a shame that Lavender Purple might be discontinued (though I have yet to hear any official confirmation, even my local MB boutique doesn't know). I purchased their last bottle just to be safe.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/MB_Purple2.pnghttp://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/MB_Purple3.png

Dear Amberlea, thank you! Well, this inks just climbed up my Monblanc ink list with Poppy Red...

I really like it.

I just picked up a bottle of what I presume is the newest formulation of Lavender Purple over Christmas, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. If this is being discontinued, it sounds as if I picked up a bottle just in time....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 years later...

Hi

Thank you for the revue.

I bought recently a bottle of Lavender Purple Montblanc and I like it very much. It's a dark colour, with a some brownish hue. Very good flow with a Parker Duofold fine nib.

• 6 months later...

Hi

With a pelikan fine nib the purple color is shown, unlike the duofold fine nib too.

I don't understand. Perhaps a flow matter between pens

• 7 months later...

*bump*

Until now I thought I hated all purple inks. But I don't. I just hate all purple inks except Montblanc Lavender Purple :-). Seriously, what a lovely ink. It's deep, it's lush, it's intriguing, it sheens, it behaves well. And it's not a glow-in-the-dark neon sign; a page full of this is still pleasing to the eye.

Edited by TheDutchGuy

I have a bottle somewhere, don't know if it's the old or new.

""As we all know, our own personal envisioning of definitions of "violet" and "purple" are often quite different.""

Now as a kid, I learned purple tended toward blue and Violet towards red...............then Wiki tells me my crayon box was wrong. :o

So.... :bunny01:...

Just read in a good thread, all the different definitions of Sepia. :lticaptd:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.