The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Sonnet--Fire Dance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:13

I miss my Insignia so much. It's off getting a new cap from Parker at the moment. While at my local pen store here in Houston (Dromgooles), I saw this Sonnet. It had a broad italic 18kt duo tone gold nib. It skips a bit, so I'm going to have it checked out Saturday. This and my Insignia both have an issue with the adhesive that holds the inner and outer sections together has given out and spins freely. Not too much of an issue, but sort of annoying when you need to refill the pen.

I love these pens for some reason. I think it's the spring that the nibs have. My Insignia has a BB steel nib that I ground to a cursive italic. Both pens have amazing line variation. With a bit of pressure, the ink flows beautifully! Great for signing my name.

Enough of the non-sense, on to the pictures:
Posted:
Posted Image
Unposted:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Writing sample (I realized how small this was. I'll post up a larger one shortly):
Posted Image

Nino

Sponsored Content

#2 tonydent84

tonydent84

Just Another Pen Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:31

Nice! I really wish I had a better experience with my Sonnet. I love the way they look and wouldn't hesitate to buy more in different colors and nib sizes, but even after getting mine sent off to repairs from a nibmeister, I'm still not satisfied with the flow of the pen. Maybe I got a fluke, but I don't know. Maybe I'll try getting a replacement nib for my Sonnet and see if that does me any good. Nice pics and writing sample!
I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

#3 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:54

Mine was writing pretty dry too. I took the nib off, pressed the wings back a little and it's much wetter now.
Nino

#4 vondauster

vondauster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 15:01

Nice! I really wish I had a better experience with my Sonnet. I love the way they look and wouldn't hesitate to buy more in different colors and nib sizes, but even after getting mine sent off to repairs from a nibmeister, I'm still not satisfied with the flow of the pen. Maybe I got a fluke, but I don't know. Maybe I'll try getting a replacement nib for my Sonnet and see if that does me any good. Nice pics and writing sample!

Sadly, this mirrors my experience as well. Sonnets tend to be beautiful pens, such as the subject of this review, and seem well made. But after several attempts I have found only one that flows reasonably well, and that is maybe a 5/10 flow (I prefer a 6.5/10). Their feeds are just not that well designed, I think. Wish it weren't so.

Will
-----------------

Will von Dauster

#5 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 15:07

That's really odd because my insignia has a sonnet nib and feed and ir flows great. This one had its problems, but it actually got too wet. Have yall had the feed channel opened up?

Nino

#6 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 20:24

Talking with my local pen repairman, this is super common with these pens. The fix is deepening the channel to allow for better flow. We got it up and writing much better today!

Sadly, this mirrors my experience as well. Sonnets tend to be beautiful pens, such as the subject of this review, and seem well made. But after several attempts I have found only one that flows reasonably well, and that is maybe a 5/10 flow (I prefer a 6.5/10). Their feeds are just not that well designed, I think. Wish it weren't so.

Will

Sponsored Content

|