Parker 51 - Writing Dry

maybeamac

I've recently finished flushing my P51 and inked it up but it's writing a bit dry. Initially when writing, some parts of words were dry and other parts normal (I think it's depending on how fast you write the words). I read online to push the nib forward from the hood and it did get wetter, just not as wet as I'd like.

It was probably writing the second one from the bottom here at the start but after pushing the nib forward it writes like the top example. I want it to write like the second example:

http://www.dannzeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Erics-Parker-51s-6.jpg

Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

P.S

I notice my Lamy Safar/Visa to be more smoother than the 51, is that normal? I think it's because the nib on the Parker is smaller and the Lamys write quite wet?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maybeamac

• OcalaFlGuy

• Korybas

Top Posters In This Topic

More info on your pen would be helpful.

Is it a recent acquisition or have you had it for while, it wrote fine before and now isn't? (I am inclined to think the former.)

If you "just" flushed it out as you would most any other FP, you probably didn't do nearly a thorough enough clean out. There is a pinned thread in this forum you should avail yourself of.

It is possible your tines are too close together but you'll never know that for sure until you get the pen fully cleaned out and flowing correctly Up To the nib.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

If you "just" flushed it out as you would most any other FP, you probably didn't do nearly a thorough enough clean out. There is a pinned thread in this forum you should avail yourself of.

Hi Bruce,

It's a new pen. I've been posting in that pinned thread of yours of which you replied hehe and I've read it about 100 times (kudos to you for writing it for us pen noobs by the way)!

I did end up soaking the pen for 36 hours in the 20/80 solution that you suggested to me in another thread but in trying to see if maybe there was still some residue in the pen leading to the dry writing issue I opened it up and I'm not even kidding, there was no build up or anything. I flossed the fins of the collector and through the breather tube and it all came up clean - it seems your ammonia guide did the trick perfectly.

The pen seems to be flowing a bit easier now, I'm not sure why but I'll definitely try testing it out tomorrow.

On a side note, is there meant to be a rubber o-ring on the 51 Special?

I just can't seem to find it, I never saw one when I disassembled so I'm not sure if I misplaced it or what but I've read that on some models the o-ring wasn't standard and the pen relied entirely on shellac as the sealant.

It is possible your tines are too close together but you'll never know that for sure until you get the pen fully cleaned out and flowing correctly Up To the nib.

How would I go about checking this?

Thank again for all your help.

Edited by maybeamac

I ended up spreading the tines and now it flows nice and wet! Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for all your help Bruce.

I was originally just planning to do your soaking guide on the pen but then curiosity got me and I did a full disassembled and twine adjustment as well and I'm new to fountain pens hehe. It was all actually pretty easy!

Although, I do have to find something to seal the hood back up.

Melt some beeswax and with a toothpick put some in the threads, tighten down.

I'd use section sealant but the beeswax should work and is inert.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Congratulations on successfully completing the nib tweaking!

Just a quick question: what ink did you use in the Q4 1947 Cordovan Brown? Very nice blue!

* edit for typos *

Edited by Korybas
fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png