Lamy 2000 Mechanical Pencil & Ballpoint Pen

coffeetoofull

LAMY HISTORY

Lamy is an independent family-owned enterprise, established in 1930 by C. Josef Lamy in Heidelberg, Germany, and became a brand in 1952 beginning with the Lamy 27 fountain pen series.

The Bauhaus design ("form follows function") of the 1930s is appealing to many modernists, and those of us today who are interested in the philosophy of "less is more". It is a design that continues well into the 21st century.

It is, also, interesting to note that many of the independent watch manufactures have incorporated the Bauhaus design into their watches and dials. Its easy to place the Lamy pens and pencils among the watch manufacturers of Dornbluth & Sohn, Stowa, and Nomos.

The 2000 series ballpoint pen, introduced in 1973, was an immediate success.The 2000 series were designed by Gerd A. Muller in 1966. The Lamy 2000 series remains in permanent museum exhibits throughout Europe, and at the Museum of Modern Art, NY. The 2000 ballpoint pen can be carried anywhere, and worn on any occasion. It makes the perfect classic impression, when worn with casual or business attire.

2000 BALLPOINT PEN

Description -

Diameter: 12mm - 0.47 inches

Length: 138mm - 5.5 inches

Weight: 19g - .6 oz.

The Lamy 2000 ballpoint pen barrel (two pieces), is made of fiberglass-reinforced Makrolon in a black carbon colour with a brushed striated Palladium stainless steel clip, clicker/button, and 3/4 inch length grip area. When the barrel is screwed together the seam is indistinguishable and appears as a single piece.

The Lamy 2000 is light weight for a medium size pen and will allow you to use it for lengthy sessions without fatigue. The Markrolon finish will mellow with age to a slightly smoother texture - probably after the first few years of use. The striated Makrolon has a slightly coarse finish, which allows you to grip it without slipping. Its surface is very resilient to coarse scratching. The clip mechanism is very dependable under steady use, which has yet to stick on me. It feels great in the hand. The tapering body for all the 2000 Lamy series provides an extended grip area for those who feel the need to change their hold, without fighting a pre-molded grip area, as on the Lamy Safari pencil.

Lamy designers represent the first time that a pen manufacturer had created a clip made of solid stainless steel for a "plastic" pen. This generous spring-mounted solid stainless steel clip allows the user to attach the pen to a piece of paper, a shirt pocket, and even a satchel/briefcase with ease. I've been able to attach it to a rather thick leather pen loop on my Renaissance Art Moleskine journal cover. Most pens are made to fit only a shirt pocket or a single sheet of paper. What a relief to find a ballpoint clip which can fit to several sheets of paper or a pen loop, without being obtrusive to the design, while not showing minor scratches. The clip carries the name Lamy on its underside, and is extremely durable.

Makrolon, "the high tech material", is a polycarbonate thermoplastic polymer which can be thermoformed. Makrolon is somewhat temperature, impact, and weather resistant. I have not seen a chemical analysis of the Makrolon used to create the barrel of the Lamy pens, but one person stated it was a Bayer's brand of polycarbonate.

The Lamy 2000 Ballpoint is a moderately priced push button, spring-loaded pen, offered in the following configurations.

1. striated (micro-engraved fine lines) Makrolon fiberglass black carbon with matt platinum

2. striated dark wood grenadilla or African blackwood with matt platinum

3. striated light wood yellow yew wood with matt platinum

4. Platinim edition sandblasted matt Titanium barrel with polished platinum grip, clip, and button; this is the most expensive offering by Lamy of their Ballpoint Pen.

The large capacity Ballpoint Refills are designated as follows.

[Giant M16; Black, Red, Blue; Fine, Medium, Bold].

The refill is quite unique in size. About an inch from the tip of the barrel is a plastic extension surrounding the ink refill. I assume it is for centering the refill barrel, rotating it with each click, and/also for stability. It's a pleasure to use a ballpoint pen made with this type of quality, precision, and purpose.

Refill Dimensions -

Diameter: 6mm - .236 inches

Length: 106mm - 4.17 inches

The refill ink insert for the 2000 Ballpoint Pen is a 'line waterproof ballpoint pen refill' with a writing capacity from approximately 4,500m (177,000 inches) to 8,000m depending on whether one is using Fine, Medium, or Broad tip. Although the ball generally prevents leakage and is blob free, like all ballpoints accumulation can occur depending on the paper, humidity, and other external factors.

I prefer the Fine or Broad refills. As in all German nibs and tips, they tend to lean towards the large size. I'm usually wiping some excess from the Broad tip after a few sheets of script. The Fine tip is perfect for journaling or notes, while the Bold/Broad is wonderful for expressions or corrections. I placed an order for my refills from the Lamy site and they work perfectly. Some complaints have arisen from those who've purchased the refills from other sources.

2000 LAMY PENCIL

The Lamy 2000 Mechanical Pencil L101 (as shown in the first picture with the ballpoint above) is so revered that it is on permanent display at the Museum of Modern Art and has won countless design awards. It is moderately priced and reveals a very distinguished clean, modern, Bauhaus 1930s look. A real eye catcher and one you'd be proud to use in a world that all too frequently frowns on the pencil aficionado.

I prefer the .5mm pencil instead of the .7mm pencil. The mechanism to extrude the lead is a push top ratchet device. The Lamy HB lead is wonderfully smooth and generous, due to silicon, with an appropriate amount of line. I've marked newspapers without tearing the paper, but the lead may break at the tip under too much pressure. The solid steel spring-loaded clip carries the engraved name of Lamy on the side of the clip and is the same type of clip used on the ballpoint and fountain pens. The metal tip is not retractable and may be too sharp for some pockets. I occasionally carry the Lamy Ballpoint and Pencil in a leather pen pouch within my shirt pocket for protection and accessibility.

The Mechanical Pencil has a z10 built-in eraser held by four clips with a three cm cleaning needle underneath its protective removable cap. If you loose the cap another can be ordered from Lamy. The eraser appears somewhat small, but it is more than capable of keeping up with your mistakes. I ordered some extras, but have yet to use up the first one. The cap reveals the number (5) discreetly embossed on its top.

I haven't taken the pencil apart to view its inner mechanisms, but I would not doubt that there is some device to stabilize the lead to the tip, as in the ballpoint pen refills. This could, also, be the reason for frequency of lead breakage, since there might be less flexibility to the amount of pressure applied to the tip.

I purchased the Lamy Safari Pencil as a comparison to the Lamy 2000 Pencil, and for me, the Lamy 2000 was a better choice for appearance, balance, weight, length, and usability. I'll use the Safari as a back-up or for those trips where travel may be a concern to comfort. The Safari offers a much wider and useful eraser, but the molded area for the grip is a little too much of a restraint, as is its length. Also, the Safari grip area and barrel, for me, are a little too smooth for quick response and control.

Lamy Safari Pencil

I know its a difficult transition, but I hope that all the collectors will become users. That's when I've found the real fun begins.

Best Of Writings,

coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• Dillo

• attika89

• Type 34

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole L2k series is great! I was eyeing with the multicolor pen myself.

I have the same pen wrap! Mine is brown inside and I've changed the strap, I love it! I always have nice comments on it! :thumbup:

Edited by attika89

The whole L2k series is great! I was eyeing with the multicolor pen myself.

I have the same pen wrap! Mine is brown inside and I've changed the strap, I love it! I always have nice comments on it! :thumbup:

I noticed the lengthy review on the L2k fountain pen and thought to include a review on the ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil. I change the refills in the ballpoint from red to black, but have not tried the blue ink. The black refill which came with the pen took some time to break-in before the flow was consistent.

Unfortunately, I, presently, don't need a multicolor pen. I wonder what's the diameter of the L2k multicolor barrel? At least, it would be easy to hold with the Makrolon barrel.

The pen wrap is thin, easy to wrap and unwrap, and not bulky in your satchel. Its called a PlePle Choco wrap. The case is separated into three interior sections to ensure maximum protection and security. The exterior is made of a cracked acrylic overlay which looks leatherette. The interior is a very soft polka-dot corduroy type cotton, which is meticulously stitched to the case for durability. The leather cords, with two small silver dangles, secure the case. Opened: 8 1/2" x 7 3/4". It is advertised to hold 10 pens, but I usually carry 3 to 4 pens, a small plastic ruler, and ballpoint pen refills. Its a wonderful accessory. Its not expensive and well made.

Best Writings To You, coffeetooful

Edited by coffeetoofull

Thanks for review. I've been thinking of getting a Lamy 2k pencil to add to my FP and 4-in-1.

I've really enjoyed the mechanical pencil but have yet to try the 4 in 1.

Best Writings To You, coffeetooful

Very nice work! I never grow tired of a good Lamy 2000 review. I especially like reviews of families of products, and this is a fine example.

I like that you compared the Lamy 2000 pencil to the Safari pencil. I have both and prefer the 2000. It feels much more substantive and, I think, is better balanced. I'd guess they share the same mechanism, but I haven't examined them closely to see. Another article possibility?! :eureka:

I wonder what's the diameter of the L2k multicolor barrel? At least, it would be easy to hold with the Makrolon barrel.

Mine measures ~12.5mm, so just slightly wider than the standard ballpoint.

Hi,

I do have a review on the 2000 pencil that I previously wrote. It is in the review index. The mechanism has been provided by Schmidt, but thin lead mechanical pencil mechanisms have never really been Schmidt's strong suit IMO. I've used plenty of pencils with Schmidt mechanisms, but they lack the precision of a Japanese mechanism and end up breaking more leads more frequently.

If you are looking for a 3.15 mm leadholder on the other hand, of all the 3.15 mm leadholders that I have tried, Lamy's Scribble seems to be the best. I even have two of them and a bulk pack of Lamy 3.15 mm leads.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

I do have a review on the 2000 pencil that I previously wrote. It is in the review index. The mechanism has been provided by Schmidt, but thin lead mechanical pencil mechanisms have never really been Schmidt's strong suit IMO. I've used plenty of pencils with Schmidt mechanisms, but they lack the precision of a Japanese mechanism and end up breaking more leads more frequently.

If you are looking for a 3.15 mm leadholder on the other hand, of all the 3.15 mm leadholders that I have tried, Lamy's Scribble seems to be the best. I even have two of them and a bulk pack of Lamy 3.15 mm leads.

Dillon

Thank you for including this information in a reply. That is very interesting and helpful. I believe Edison pens is using a Schmidt converter in their Pearlette fountain pen.

I look forward to viewing Lamy's Scribble leadholder.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Hi,

Many companies use the Schmidt converter, but those are fine. Pelikan, Delta, Bexley, Visconti and many others use off the shelf Schmidt converters. Lamy and MB use custom units that are made to their specifications with threading, engaging nubs, different finishes, colors, and what not. I used to have a lot of pens with Schmidt converters, and I sell Schmidt converters in my shop, but source them from Pelikan since I am a Pelikan authorized dealer.

Schmidt makes a lot of things well, but thin lead mechanical pencil mechanisms are not really their forte in my opinion.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 1 year later...

Hi Dillion

I know it's a while ago this was being discussed but I wouldlove to convert a Lamy 2000 yew wood to a pencil, 0.7. can it be done???can you do it????