Prera Crystal Acrylic Namiki Pen

coffeetoofull

I enjoy using my new Prera Namiki Orange Demonstrator Fine Nib pen. [Prera in Portuguese means pear tree.] It's small enough and durable enough to throw in my satchel, briefcase, or pen wrap and use at anytime. The diameter of the pen barrel is a size smaller than a full size fountain pen which makes it a breeze to handle and control. Namiki developed a specially designed capillary controlled ink delivery system for the ink in this pen to flow from the nib to the writing surface without blotting. Prera Fountain pens, also, included a vacuum sealing cap to prevent the nib from drying. The snap on cap is a pleasure to use as frequently as a hundred times a day. It's light weight and well balanced, especially when the cap is posted to the barrel. It is on the short side for a medium sized hand, unless the cap is posted. It writes smooth with only an occasional hint of scratch. The lightness of the pen for a person with a 'light hand', even when posted, does not drive the nib deep into the paper, which results in the ability to use the reverse side of the Moleskine paper with minimum to zero bleed through. Holding the pen above the grip area provides for additional balance and control. However, the grip area on the Prera is smooth without threads to bother you. The cap closes with a click and has a white inner cap. The cap holds rather well, and one does not need to force it on and off to post. The fountain pen clip is large and modern, which adds an elegance to the total effect of the pen. It extends over the cap of the barrel which provides a stylish flat chrome top to the pen. So many clips seem substandard and thrown on as if they don't belong. This clip's weight and depth, without offering a great deal of flex, makes the pen unique by denoting its style and presence. The solid colour Namiki Prera fountain pens are only offered in Japan, but they seem dull to me when compared to the demonstrator models.

The (#5) nib is, also, a size smaller than the normal size (#6) nib, which makes it easy to view your script as it is created. I've noticed that the nib performs best when held directly vertical (straight-in) to the paper surface at a reasonable 45 degree angle. The Prera produces a finer line than the Namiki Vanishing Point Fine nib, but it is clearly discernable. I believe this is due to the steel nib in the Prera Fine nib and being less flexible than the Namiki Vanishing Point Fine 14k nib. I would not classify this as a smooth nib with some of the lighter less wet inks. The Private Reserve Midnight Blue provides the nib with enough line and weight to provide a very close smooth nib. This ink which is usually classified as wet when applied with the Prera Fine nib dries quickly on Moleskine and Rhodia papers. The nib performs well with wet or dry ink.

I recommend cleaning this pen about every 3 to 5 days with an ear squeezer (Mabis/DMI First Aid Bulb Syringe Aspirator). The Con 50 converter which is included with the pen is useless without a syringe to fill it. When loading the pen, ink will appear in the 'see-through' grip area. The ink you're seeing in the pen's grip section is normal. The ink pools up there around the feed to act as a reservoir to regulate the ink flow as you write faster and slower, to give a consistent line of ink as you change speeds. All pens do this, you just normally don't see it, unless you are using a 'demonstrator'.

The selection of ink for the Prera Fine nib will depend on paper smoothness, density, and the humidity in which you write. Wider nibs and heavier pens are less noticeable in variances to writing conditions. I find myself holding the Prera fountain pen in the grip area above the nib, since it is a shorter pen than most. This provides more control for my small style of writing, and/also, the quickness to be able to get it into action without the distraction of the size of a large pen and nib. For the moderate price of this pen, it might be worth the purchase of an additional Prera in a medium or broad size to offer a difference and backup to your writing demands.

After purchasing the pen, I accidentally let it nose dive, uncapped, 12 inches to a tile floor. Miraculously, it still works great without a skip. If you damage this moderately priced pen, it is probably not worth sending it to the nib Meister for repairs. Its a great day pen for 'out on the town' and holds a reasonable amount of ink. I prefer using pen cartridges for long writing sessions or when I'm out traveling, and not able to get to a converter and bottle of ink.

The following Ink Description by coffeetoofull of the Prera Pilot ink cartridges might be helpful in your assessment.

Ink: Pilot Mixable Colour Parallel Pen Sepia Cartridge, six cartridges per box, Dark "reddish brown"; a lead shot in the cartridge encourages the ink flow, but it makes a slight noise which can be distracting.

Pen & Nib: Prera Namiki Pilot Orange Demonstrator, Fine Steel Nib

Paper: Moleskine Journal, 60g, cream colored

Bleed: Medium

Dry Time: 5 to 10 seconds, medium

To Clean: Easy

Flow: Dry

Description:

Capped 4.75 inches, Cap Posted 5.3 inches

Body Material: Clear resin demonstrator, orange accents, crystal and colour acrylic

Nib Material: Steel, alloy

Nib Size: Fine

Cap Type: Snap-cap, postable

Filling Mechanism: Cartridge/converter. Uses Pilot CON-50 converter (included) or Pilot cartridges.

Overall Weight: 15g (0.53oz)

Cap Weight: 8g (0.28oz)

Body Weight:7g (0.25oz)

Overall Length (capped): 121mm (4.76in)

Overall Length (posted): 135mm (5.31in)

Body Length: 107mm (4.21in)

Cap Length: 54mm (2.13in)

Cap Diameter (no clip): 13.5mm (0.53in)

Cap Diameter (with clip): 16.4mm (0.65in)

Body Diameter: 12mm (0.47in)

Nib Length: 18mm (0.71in)

Best Of Writings,

coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• myyrkezaan

• Ricardo1962

• XiaoMG

Beautiful pens. Can you tell me more about the conversion to eyedropper and/also cleaning procedures - how often, etc.?

I bought some 100% silicone grease from the hardware store, put in the ink, spread the silicone on the threads making sure it was coated well and twisted shut; very simple. Put it in a cup upside down for a few days to make sure it didn't leak. Only did it for the first, the others I started using after conversion.

I didn't clean it out until it was empty, I have read that you should do it at a certain % of ink remaining, but I never had a problem.

The hardest thing to do is open it back up :), little sticky. While trying to open it, one of the pens bottom piece came loose, didn't realize that it was threaded as well, made it easier to clean the bottom out.

Very well done review, I enjoyed reading it!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks for the great review ... I had my eye on this pen and need to get one ...

Thanks for the review. I have an ivory Prera and have swapped the F nib for the EF nib from the Pilot Penmanship, as the former was a bit too broad for me. Others have swapped in the italic-ish nibs from the Pilot Plumix. These cheap nib options are very nice, and it is too bad there are no cheap replacement unplated F or M nibs that I have found (the 78G nibs are plated and are an unpleasant clash).

I am curious why you wrote:

The (#5) nib is, also, a size smaller than the normal size (#6) nib...

Since Pilot's nib sizes do not seem to be based on feed diameter like those of other manufacturers. Pilot's marked nib sizes are 3, 5, 10, 15, and 50. Prera's nib seems similar to size 3, though I do not think the feed and nib units are interchangeable with other size 3 pens (Grance, 89/90s, Custom 98, etc.)

Robert.

Thanks for the review. I have an ivory Prera and have swapped the F nib for the EF nib from the Pilot Penmanship, as the former was a bit too broad for me. Others have swapped in the italic-ish nibs from the Pilot Plumix. These cheap nib options are very nice, and it is too bad there are no cheap replacement unplated F or M nibs that I have found (the 78G nibs are plated and are an unpleasant clash).

I am curious why you wrote:

The (#5) nib is, also, a size smaller than the normal size (#6) nib...

Since Pilot's nib sizes do not seem to be based on feed diameter like those of other manufacturers. Pilot's marked nib sizes are 3, 5, 10, 15, and 50. Prera's nib seems similar to size 3, though I do not think the feed and nib units are interchangeable with other size 3 pens (Grance, 89/90s, Custom 98, etc.)

Thank you for the information on the nib sizes. I was measuring the nib size by Western size and did not know the various Pilot sizes.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Beautiful pens. Can you tell me more about the conversion to eyedropper and/also cleaning procedures - how often, etc.?

I bought some 100% silicone grease from the hardware store, put in the ink, spread the silicone on the threads making sure it was coated well and twisted shut; very simple. Put it in a cup upside down for a few days to make sure it didn't leak. Only did it for the first, the others I started using after conversion.

I didn't clean it out until it was empty, I have read that you should do it at a certain % of ink remaining, but I never had a problem.

The hardest thing to do is open it back up :), little sticky. While trying to open it, one of the pens bottom piece came loose, didn't realize that it was threaded as well, made it easier to clean the bottom out.

I didn't think these were eligible for an eyedropper conversion because of the metal components in the barrel. Have you had any trouble with the metal corroding?

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I didn't think these were eligible for an eyedropper conversion because of the metal components in the barrel. Have you had any trouble with the metal corroding?

Not that I've seen or noticed. I just emptied one and need to clean it, let you know after that.

"[Prera in Portuguese means pear tree.]"

- Nope, the Portuguese word for pear tree is Pereira. Prera is not even a Portuguese word, never heard of it in all my life!

Apart from that imprecision, thank you for he nice review.

Regards from Portugal,

R.

Edited by Ricardo1962

“The pen is the tongue of the mind.”

- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

fpn_1421103764__don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

Very well done review, I enjoyed reading it!

Thank You. I've posted a couple of additional reviews on pens and one on the 'Ink Sampler'.

Best Writings To You, coffeetooful

- Nope, the Portuguese word for pear tree is Pereira. Prera is not even a Portuguese word, never heard of it in all my life!

Regards from Portugal,

R.

Thank You for the kind reply. I'll need to research that today.

Regards from Portugal,

R.

Thank You for the kind reply. I'll need to research that today.

I stand corrected. Maybe someone on FPN will know what Pilot Namiki intended by naming this pen Prera? I'll try contacting Namiki today.

Perera is a common surname in Sri Lanka, Portugal, Brazil, and most of the Lusosphere. The name was introduced in Sri Lanka by the Portuguese during the period of Portuguese Ceylon, and it derives from the common Portuguese surname Pereira (meaning pear tree). Perera is also a Spanish name.

Hi, Thanks again for the kind reply.

I placed the quote on definition of Perea from the following link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perera . I will try to contact Namiki again to request a definition for the name of their name of the pen.

Best Of Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Hi, Thanks again for the kind reply.

I placed the quote on definition of Perea from the following link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perera . I will try to contact Namiki again to request a definition for the name of their name of the pen.

Best Of Writings To You, coffeetoofull

I don't mean to be rude but It seems you're getting a little bit confused over this. Like I first said, "PRERA" doesn't mean a thing in Portuguese, the (only) Portuguese word for pear tree is Pereira, that's all!

Kind regards,

R.

“The pen is the tongue of the mind.”

- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

fpn_1421103764__don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I am confused, is this pen sold under the Namiki Brand name? Why are you calling it the Namiki Prera?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the review.

I am confused, is this pen sold under the Namiki Brand name? Why are you calling it the Namiki Prera?

You may wish to consult the internet on the Pilot/Namiki company.

Here's a link from wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_(pen_company)

Namiki Prera - http://www.namiki.co...-collection.php

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

Thanks for the review.

I think this is sold under Pilot brand. If not, it's like Lexus selling Toyota Yaris / Vitz under the Lexus brand name.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)