Three Carbonesque Namiki Vanishing Points

coffeetoofull

The Namiki Pilot Vanishing Point fountain pen has been featured in many areas on the internet as one of the first modern retractable fountain pens. It, also, accommodates the business traveler with a fountain pen for air travel without inking the pocket. The pen grip area and clip are together. The pen is placed in the nib-up, vertical position, when clipped to the shirt pocket. It's a comfortable pen which does not need capping. The length is perfect fit to a shirt pocket, while the single unit pen's balanced weight sits well in a medium size hand. The slightly heavier medium weight of this fountain pen does not drive the nib through a fine writing paper. I'm used to lighter pens but find the quality and convenience of this pen do not hinder long sessions of writing.

The nib and its attached assembly unit is one of the finest Japanese nibs to appear on the market which provides a very smooth writing experience. It is a wonder how this small Fine 14k nib offers a reasonable flex and consistent flow of ink. I prefer a small nib to be able to view what I'm writing. If your pen takes a nose dive, it is simple to order a replacement nib assembly unit. The Carbonesque provides a slight hold through the bonding matte PVD finish (lacquer over metal) to prevent slippage. These pens have been increasing in value over the past years. Namiki discontinued the red colour after only a few were released.

Simply click it as you would a ballpoint and the 14k gold nib retracts, where an interior seal keeps the ink supply moist and the pen nib safe. Brilliant design and ingenious technology are reborn in refined, elegant style. Use a cartridge or converter. Namiki nibs are one half increment finer than those made in Europe and the United States. Several nib repair businesses can remake the nib to an oblique. The nib assembly must be placed all the way into the ink bottle to properly refill.

I write rather quickly with a small script. The VP is not a flex nib, but gives just enough for a beautiful style - even in the Fine nib. I write in a style which is half script and half print. I, unfortunately, write with my hand, and not the proper use of the arm.

"Popular Advertising Slogans For The VP":

"Namiki Vanishing Point - 'TheWorld's Only Retractable Fountain Pen' - the original name of Pilot Pen and its founder Ryosuke Namiki - celebrating 40 years of delighting writers with this ingenious simplicity. The Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen is a product rich in history. Brilliant design and ingenious technology are reborn in refined, elegant style. A larger size, durable metal body and attractive appointments make the Vanishing Point unmistakably unique. The popular Blue or Black Carbonesque finish with rhodium accents are now available in all nib sizes. The new and attractive Red Carbonesque finish has, also, been added to the line in limited quantities. The Vanishing Point maintains a pleasing balance at 1.05 ounces with 14 karat gold nibs. A beautiful black leather presentation/storage box completes the Vanishing Point as a truly remarkable pen for a new age."

Vanishing Point Pilot Namiki Features

Body Material: Black, Red, Blue Carbonesque metal, rhodium accents

Nib Material: 18K gold

Nib Size: Fine, Medium, or Broad

Cap Type: N/A - retractable click mechanism

Filling Mechanism: Cartridge/converter. Uses Pilot CON-50 converter (included) or Pilot cartridges.

Overall Weight: 30g (1.06oz)

Cap Weight: N/A

Body Weight: 25g (0.88oz)

Overall Length (extended): 138mm (5.43in)

Overall Length (withdrawn): 140mm (5.5in)

Body Diameter (with clip): 16mm (0.63in)

Body Diameter (no clip): 13mm (0.51in)

Nib Length: 8mm (0.31in)

Weight Comparisons:

1. Romillo Essential SL - inner barrel made of lighter material than bronze; will it outlast the bronze?

overall 15g (0.529 oz)

body 11.5g (0.405 oz)

2. Romillo Essential - inner barrel bronze

overall 23g (0.811 oz)

body 18.5g (0.652 oz)

dia 12.4mm (0.488 in)

3. Namiki Vanishing Point

overall 30g (1.06 oz)

dia 13mm (0.51 in)

4. Namiki Prera

overall 15g (0.53 oz)

body 7g (0.25 oz)

cap 8g (0.28 oz)

dia 12mm (0.47 in)

5. Lamy 2000

overall 25g (0.9 0z)

body 15g (0.5 oz)

cap 10g (0.4 oz)

dia 13mm (0.51 in)

6. Edison Pearlette

overall 18g (0.634 0z)

body 12g (0.423 oz)

cap 6g (0.211 oz)

dia 13mm (0.511 in)

The pics of the Namiki Vanishing Point Carbonesques in three distinct colours are new pens in their original boxes. They have never been inked. I use another black carbonesque for travel and general purposes.

Best Writings To You,

coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• Dillo

• bphollin

• uncommonfirings

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know this pen came in red. Neat!

I hope you find one for your collection.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

I've never heard of a green model. For some reason the red Carbonesque does not have a heavy laquer coating. However, this allows for a better grip to the hand. I don't know why Namiki decided not to go into full production with the red model. Only a limited number were released.

I emailed a Namiki retailer in my area today to find a definition for their new pen, the Prera. Maybe its named after a person? I hope they reply. You can see my recent review on the Prera pen on FPN.

Best Writings To You, coffeetooful

Edited by coffeetoofull

Hi,

This pen was called the Pilot Capless Kasuri in other markets, and yes, there was also a green one. Kasuri is a type of weave of cloth, and this pen has a finish that emulates the look of the cloth. I think the red was sold as a limited edition in the US, but I don't think it was limited in Japan.

I wonder why, but Pilot USA has a thing about renaming certain pens. In Japan, Namiki is reserved for the higher end pens that Pilot makes with Makie, urushi, and what not. So what is called one thing in the US, is not called that in the rest of the world. At least one of your pens has the Capless tag, and I'd call it a Capless Kasuri if I were you. The US marketing department of Pilot must have quite a lot of fun writing these things about their products. They write their own materials, and they don't translate what is on the Japanese site. Also, if the nibs are rhodium plated 18K, then you definitely have the PIlot Capless. It's most likely not an American model. The American ones were sold with 14K nibs that were not rhodium plated.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

This pen was called the Pilot Capless Kasuri in other markets, and yes, there was also a green one. Kasuri is a type of weave of cloth, and this pen has a finish that emulates the look of the cloth. I think the red was sold as a limited edition in the US, but I don't think it was limited in Japan.

I wonder why, but Pilot USA has a thing about renaming certain pens. In Japan, Namiki is reserved for the higher end pens that Pilot makes with Makie, urushi, and what not. So what is called one thing in the US, is not called that in the rest of the world. At least one of your pens has the Capless tag, and I'd call it a Capless Kasuri if I were you. The US marketing department of Pilot must have quite a lot of fun writing these things about their products. They write their own materials, and they don't translate what is on the Japanese site. Also, if the nibs are rhodium plated 18K, then you definitely have the PIlot Capless. It's most likely not an American model. The American ones were sold with 14K nibs that were not rhodium plated.

Dillon

Thanks for the expert analysis. That certainly brings things into focus for me and the other FPN members. I've never been to Japan or dealt with any of the Namiki representatives. I noticed it was difficult to email Namiki from their site to the home office.

I have another post on the Prera fountain pen which you might like to view. There's been some discussion on the definition of Prera. I tried to contact a pen chain who sells this pen in the USA to speak to the Namiki representative about the name Prera but have yet to receive a reply.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

• 6 months later...