Review Of The Montblanc 149 By A Former Anti-Montblancite

sirach

It's amazing what we learn when learning is the objective, isn't it? Epiphany can be a never ending joy.

Now maybe you are ready to check out a few other pens that you would never use.

I completely agree.... now than, those vintage Doufolds do seem intriguing... I think I like big pens.... The red/orange even seems intriguing now...

And remember how good that Legacy felt in hand?

http://www.fototime.com/E53C6F2D0482746/medium800.jpg

My Website

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirach

• Onoto

• jar

• revdrjaydwright

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A nice write-up which I've found useful in thinking about a future MB purchase. I'd suggest moderators sticky this thread as it does have good points for new MB buyers to consider.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

I still can't justify the $200+ difference between a new 149 and a new M1000

The list price on a M1000 is the equivalent of £494 (at today's exchange rate), a 149 is about £550. Not so great a difference.

I have an M1000 and a pair of 146's, I have to say I prefer the MBs.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Great and honest review, thank you.

It's easy to see how prejudices make for an ugly world, and how, in the end, only cost the one who holds them.

Inked

...I use this software to make sextants with my students: http://www.tecepe.co...TantProject.htm I learned on a Tamaya. My only sextant the last few years has been a cheap Davis plastic sextant... accurate to something like .5° of arc.... which is ridiculous... the kids laugh at me... my self esteem plumits... seriously... it is not a full 30 miles (1' of arc = 1 nm.... .5°=30'+30 miles) off. I think it is really only a minute or two of arc.... but my new metal one is supposed to be +/- 20"....

Yep, I looked at that software when I started to look for a sextant. I think what he's done is brilliant, particularly with the CD sextant for liferafts. After I completed the design of my one (which appears to be the only freebie micrometer sextant design I can find on the web) I offered it to tecepe.com as a complete freebie package with building instructions so they could decide to host/modify etc, but they declined. I confess that I was a bit disappointed, so have had this design up on Geocities and more recently on my own site as Geocities was taken down.

Regards,

Richard.

Reminds me of the old gag: had this broom 40 years - only had to replace the head three times and the handle twice :)

Ah, just like Trigger.

Is that you, by any chance? :lol:

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

All is forgiven, Tom, a nice review like this one is certainly adequate pen-ance... :)

There is a fair amount of anti-Montblanc snobbery, a lot of it admittedly brought on by, um, careful image management by the company itself. "Precious resin" indeed. And yes, specialeditionitis can become tedious. But ya know, there are a number of fountain pen makers that are prone to that, and whose prices range north of MB on a regular basis, yet I have yet to hear about an "Onoto snob" or "Omas fanboy." Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a double standard.

Enjoy your 149, and congratulations on what I think borders on a sumgai deal!

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Last thursday I ordered an MB 149 from an private (?) online seller. Yesterday, I had not yet got it in my hand when I read this posting. Now I have it in my hand.

I must agree that something feels instantly right about this pen - it's one of my two favourite pens in my whole collection. (The other beeing a Caran d'Ache Leman FP). Feels wonderful to hold, writes marvelously - and the look is a classic, iconic design.

Just like e.g. a Rolex watch, the actual instrument takes a beating because of the lawyers and marketing people at the manufacturer - but at least the MB pens I've tried have been wonderful!

I'm a happy camper! :)

...I use this software to make sextants with my students: http://www.tecepe.co...TantProject.htm I learned on a Tamaya. My only sextant the last few years has been a cheap Davis plastic sextant... accurate to something like .5° of arc.... which is ridiculous... the kids laugh at me... my self esteem plumits... seriously... it is not a full 30 miles (1' of arc = 1 nm.... .5°=30'+30 miles) off. I think it is really only a minute or two of arc.... but my new metal one is supposed to be +/- 20"....

Yep, I looked at that software when I started to look for a sextant. I think what he's done is brilliant, particularly with the CD sextant for liferafts. After I completed the design of my one (which appears to be the only freebie micrometer sextant design I can find on the web) I offered it to tecepe.com as a complete freebie package with building instructions so they could decide to host/modify etc, but they declined. I confess that I was a bit disappointed, so have had this design up on Geocities and more recently on my own site as Geocities was taken down.

Regards,

Richard.

I didn't realize that was YOUR site... I am impressed! Simply Brilliant!

But ya know, there are a number of fountain pen makers that are prone to that, and whose prices range north of MB on a regular basis, yet I have yet to hear about an "Onoto snob" or "Omas fanboy." Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a double standard.

I thought about that too... But, you know we can say the same thing about a LOT of company stereotypes... be it Noodlers, Lamy, PR, Sheaffer, Hero, etc.... I think I have seen a false claim made about each of those companies in the last week on FPN... and each of them either isn't true... or could be said about a dozen different companies.

Reminds me of the old gag: had this broom 40 years - only had to replace the head three times and the handle twice :)

Ah, just like Trigger.

Only if you're Roy Rogers....

;)

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...."

But ya know, there are a number of fountain pen makers that are prone to that, and whose prices range north of MB on a regular basis, yet I have yet to hear about an "Onoto snob" or "Omas fanboy." Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a double standard.

I thought about that too... But, you know we can say the same thing about a LOT of company stereotypes... be it Noodlers, Lamy, PR, Sheaffer, Hero, etc.... I think I have seen a false claim made about each of those companies in the last week on FPN... and each of them either isn't true... or could be said about a dozen different companies.

Absolutely true.

Even though I try not to, I'm sure I've done that sort of silly stereotyping myself. Maybe more with cars than pens, though. But even the worst performing group of pens _in my experience_, which would be the modern Parkers, have produced at least one keeper for my collection, a silver Sonnet. In other words, I kinda like all pen companies.

Another factor in people's perceptions of MB (as has been mentioned) might be that in the 80's they were one of the consummate yuppie status symbols, which has left a bad taste in people's mouths. Still, the high-end pen I have owned the longest is my 146, going on about 29 years now. Never given me anything but great service, though Richard Binder did service it a year or so ago. Second longest user: my 149.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Ah, just like Trigger.

Only if you're Roy Rogers....

;)

Ah yes, those were the days ... Good old Melchester.

I'm much too old to turn out now and bewitch opposing defenders with my body-swerves, dummies and nutmegs or soar above them to power it into the net with a rocket of a header. The shirt would be a bit on the tight side, too, but it was great to be able to make a difference. Glad someone still remembers me. ;)

Cheers.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

I tried out a 146 at our local boutique, and I was impressed. I have been eyeing a MB for my next acquisition, and your story will keep me inching onward.

Many Many thanks! A very beautiful review!

Vincenzo

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It's great to wade into another pen brand without prejudice and find out what it is that suits you about it. I've enjoyed using three 149s: fine, then OB and now just a rather nice flexi fine-medium. That, and the Solitaire and Burgundy 146s to keep it company and me occupied.

And of course, getting them below the retail price makes more sense; for nearly any pen.

Use well and enjoyhappyberet.gif.

post-1261-0-28288200-1345383139.jpg

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sorry to revive an old thread. As with a lot of pen enthusiasts I suppose, the aesthetic of the MB 149 appeals to me a great deal, I am in no sort of position to buy a new one but see the odd one on fleabay that seems like a good deal.

Only problem is that I know they are ripe for counterfeiting and don't know enough about them to be able to spot a deal from a con, can anyone give me some pointers? I've found a few bits here and there on the internet, but some of it seems so pedestrian that I would be surprised if any ambitious manufacturer wouldn't have taken care of them.

Also, is there any era to watch out for that is known for particularly nice pens and, likewise, eras where the quality is generally considered to be of a lesser standard?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

The piston models are generally legit as they're too expensive to manufacture for the average counterfeiter. Ditto for oblique or double broad nibs. The fakers copy the F or M c/c fillers & bung a gilded irridium fake on the business end.

Stick to a 146 or 149 until you know what you're doing and factor in the basic service charge in case you have to send it in for an overhaul.

The piston models are generally legit as they're too expensive to manufacture for the average counterfeiter. Ditto for oblique or double broad nibs. The fakers copy the F or M c/c fillers & bung a gilded irridium fake on the business end.

Stick to a 146 or 149 until you know what you're doing and factor in the basic service charge in case you have to send it in for an overhaul.

Yes, I will think about the MB service charge. Their work seems to be very highly regarded here. Thank you.