The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pentorium: Edison Collier Silver Marble Review

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:15

This is an excerpt from the review on Pentorium, click here to see the full review!

Edison Collier Review

Edison… What’s that? A relatively small pen company based in the USA, Edison is run by Brian Gray, an all around genius when it comes to super cool fountain pens. There are many different models such as the Herald, Hudson, and this, the Collier, but Edison’s main focus is custom made fountain pens.

Posted Image

Edison, a name every pen lover should know

Now when I say custom, I mean custom. We are talking hundreds of different colours and patterns, different filling systems, nib materials, sizes, and other small customisations you can get as special requests. Edison sells these custom pens under their Signature line, with standard colours coming under the Production line. You choose, Brian makes. Want a black pen with a pink cap? Just say so. Want a symbol etched into the body of your pen? Brian will oblige. From what I have heard, Edison takes even the most whacky of requests, and Brian will talk you through the entire process, from planning to postage.

But this pen isn’t part of that custom process, it’s part of the standard lineup of Edison pens.

The Edison Collier Silver Marble

One look at this pen is enough to raise eyebrows. It’s gorgeous! A three dimensional acrylic pattern, with dark swirls throughout, lined with a deep blue. It was this that prompted the purchase off a fellow Fountain Pen Network member. Lightly used and with a nib tuned by Mr Richard Binder, $150.00 was a good price.

Posted Image

Visit my blog Pentorium!

Sponsored Content

#2 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:00

Jono, great review of a great pen! Posted Image Your blog looks like it has real potential, suppose there's another site to add to the subscription list...

Keep 'em coming.

Jack

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#3 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:23

Jono, great review of a great pen! Posted Image Your blog looks like it has real potential, suppose there's another site to add to the subscription list...

Keep 'em coming.

Jack

Thanks Jack :) will do!

Oh and by the way, those Sheaffers you sold me are consistently daily writers for me, really great pens. Thanks again!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

#4 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 13:05

[T]hose Sheaffers you sold me are consistently daily writers for me, really great pens. Thanks again!

Jono,

Thanks mate. You made my day Posted Image

Jack.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#5 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:02

Your dimensions show the section as 12mm long. Or is that 12mm in diameter?

The nib and feed do pull out of the housing, which is easier done with the housing screwed into the pen. Just pinch and pull.
:)

Beautiful pen and nice review. Thanks.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#6 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:04

The nib and feed do pull out of the housing, which is easier done with the housing screwed into the pen. Just pinch and pull.

Thanks Shawn I'll make those changes now! I wasn't able to pull the nib from the housing, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:02

outstanding :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02

outstanding :thumbup:

Thank you! :vbg:

Visit my blog Pentorium!

#9 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:02

Thanks Shawn I'll make those changes now! I wasn't able to pull the nib from the housing, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough.

Pulling the nib from the feed and housing isn't something that I typically recommend unless you feel you are qualified.

If you want to interchange nibs, you should unscrew the nib, leaving the nib and feed within the housing unless you have a good reason to remove them, and most of those reasons would probably be for a repair/nib technician to deal with.

Also - if you really do want to pull the nib and feed from the housing, I don't recommend doing this from within the section. If the feed and nib are stubborn, you could strip the internal section threads or the external housing threads.

Thanks for the comments and the review!

Edited by bgray, 14 August 2012 - 21:03.

#10 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:27

Pulling the nib from the feed and housing isn't something that I typically recommend unless you feel you are qualified.

If you want to interchange nibs, you should unscrew the nib, leaving the nib and feed within the housing unless you have a good reason to remove them, and most of those reasons would probably be for a repair/nib technician to deal with.

Also - if you really do want to pull the nib and feed from the housing, I don't recommend doing this from within the section. If the feed and nib are stubborn, you could strip the internal section threads or the external housing threads.

Thanks for the comments and the review!

Thanks for clarifying Brian :thumbup: I never considered separating them; I just had a look at the unit itself, gave them a slight yank, and decided it wasn't worth the bother.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

#11 JamesTheBard

JamesTheBard

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 16:30

Wow, that is a beautiful pen and a great review. My Edison is a stellar performer and the more I look at this pen, the more I feel the itch for another one.

Thanks for the review!
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett
Posted Image

#12 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:26

Wow, that is a beautiful pen and a great review. My Edison is a stellar performer and the more I look at this pen, the more I feel the itch for another one.

Thanks for the review!

And thank you for the comments!

I feel the entire review section of this board is an enabler for more pen purchases...

Visit my blog Pentorium!

Sponsored Content

|