The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Seirei-Nuri Genkai

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:34

Posted Image

This is about my new Danitrio seirei-nuri Genkai. This pattern is not usually made by Danitrio and especially the Genkai has so much space to offer for patterns and lacquer surfaces, so when I saw winedoc had it for sale I decided this had to become the pen to gift myself for my new job. Painterspal has, I believe, the Densho size und his great photographs of it didn't do anything to help me resist!

Appearance & Design - That's better to be shown than described. The Genkai is a large pen, it "eats your 149 for breakfast", as someone stated here (and also your M1000 and Delta Roma Imperiale, for that matter - my only pen it sees eye to eye with is the Sailor Susutake). Still it's nice to handle and doesn't feel like holding a broomstick. Being female, I don't have huge hands but I still love large pens and fat sections and they work fine for me. The pattern which is supposed to imitate dragonfly's wings - and also reminds me a bit of giraffes -, is done in a time-consuming process. Someone here once posted a video about how a similar pattern is made by Hakumin Urushi, I think it might also apply here: Urushi Minas

Posted Image

Construction & Quality – Great work, as always. The cap provides a tight fit, so do section and barrel - no leakage yet. The shutoff valve is a little stiff, but that might improve over time. Either way it doesn't bother me much. The extra large nib sits on a plastic feed which provides generous ink flow. Under many layers of Urushi lacquer lies a hand turned ebonite body. As for the sturdyness of these pens, I can only tell how not too long ago I was taking my notebook and pen pouch out of my bag at some office's front door and before I could do anything the Dani slipped out of the pen kimono and - have you seen washed-out concrete? Like concrete slabs with pebbles in them? -, yes, on exactly that floor. From my hand, so a considerable height too.
I was terrified. I could see it hadn't shattered when I picked it up in one piece, but there wasn't any deep scratching either. A few unobtrusive scuffs were all that remained.
Still I hate that this happened, but I'm aware I was very lucky and stand in awe. That war-battered Dani - though her scars are only visible at very thorough examination - has a special place in my heart.

Posted Image

Weight & Dimensions - The Genkai is, it can't be emphasized enough, large, but not heavy. Its size can be a little annoying at times since it generally won't fit in pen trays, let alone pen cases. I still carry mine around in silk pen kimonos and an extra compartment in my bag, though that can be dangerous - see above.

Nib & Performance - Large, bicolor factory stub nib somewhere between (western) medium and broad. Very smooth with a bit of line variation, my favourite Dani nib. At the moment inked with Iroshizuku asa-gao.

Posted Image

Filling System & Maintenance - Japanese eyedropper with shutoff valve. You open the valve to get the ink flowing. There's always enough in the feed for a few short notes in between.

Conclusion - Shape and lines of the Genkai pen are remarkable even unadorned. The star of this pen clearly is the surface. It's hard to show in a picture how different this pattern can look in different lightings and from different angles, how the golden particles shimmer and shine.
Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:47

Holy cow that's big. Very pretty finish.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 16:00

That is a sweet and unusual pen, thanks for sharing.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:25

Oh yum! I begin to think the Spirit needs a playmate. :puddle:

#5 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:42

Wow, what a beautiful pen!
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#6 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:11

Like wow! Thanks for sharing. Does the surface feel textured?

#7 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:59

Thanks for your nice comments!

jandrese: No, the surface feels totally smooth.
Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

#8 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:25

Wonderful pen, thanks for posting your review.

#9 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 17:57

nice pics and review!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#10 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:22

that's such a nice urushi finish Posted Image
-rudy-

#11 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 11,699 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:05

Walk softly and carry a big pen. --etherTeddyRooseveltnautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#12 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:21

outstanding pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#13 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:52

Great review and a lovely pen. I really like my Densho in the same finish - my friends report that my letter writing has increased noticeably since it arrived (like I need an excuse to use it!) - and I'm flattered and delighted to read that my pictures may have influenced your decision to buy this big beauty.
D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Sponsored Content

|