Antique Store Find: Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black Ink Bottles

ninobrn99

Wow, I didn't realize how popular those old bottles were! I was given one by a fellow FPN'er, and thought it was pretty neat. Then I see this... wow. I'm even more grateful! It's full of a very nice blue, looks similar to all the 'washable' blues I've seen around. Not sure if it's really Skrip or not but could easily be, it's got the same sort of shading and color as the Skrip lavender carts I've got...

Congrats on your great find! I really need to check out the antique stores around here, I suppose.

Beware of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninobrn99

• Chrissy

• hankosaurus

• Plumdragon

Wow, I didn't realize how popular those old bottles were! I was given one by a fellow FPN'er, and thought it was pretty neat. Then I see this... wow. I'm even more grateful! It's full of a very nice blue, looks similar to all the 'washable' blues I've seen around. Not sure if it's really Skrip or not but could easily be, it's got the same sort of shading and color as the Skrip lavender carts I've got...

Congrats on your great find! I really need to check out the antique stores around here, I suppose.

Do you have the 2oz or 4oz bottle?

Do you have the 2oz or 4oz bottle?

I'm gonna say the 2oz. Without having it right in front of me this second, I know it's smaller than my Noodler's 3oz bottles, so powers of deduction there. Has no label on it however, but the lid does say Skrip.

Beware of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I personally wouldn't risk using such old ink but as inkwells they are fabulous!

Any chance of you putting any up for sale on Classifieds? :embarrassed_smile:

If so, I will watch out.

Looking back over many years of "old ink is bad ink?" inquiries, there seems to be no reason not to use old inks as long as there is no ugly deposit in the bottom of the bottle, it doesn't smell bad, or doesn't have a scum of some kind on the surface.

You can always use one of your cheaper pens to test. Sheaffer's old inks seem to hold up quite well if the bottle has remained properly sealed.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks.

About two years ago I bought two full (new old stock, I think) "inkwell" bottles of Sheaffer Blue Black from a little office supply store nearby. Just opened one of those several days ago and poured the contents into a clean bottle. I notiiced some particulate matter remaining on the bottom of the emptied Skrip bottle. I added some water to the emptied bottle, capped it, and shook it to see if the material would go into solution. It didn't. I did not think to see if soap would help.

I came to the Forum and this thread looking for any guidance with respect to whether or not one should use such ink as that in nice pens. I thought maybe I would load up my Baoer 388 like bogiesan above suggested, and see what happens. If all goes well, then maybe I'll try it with one of my more treasured instruments.

Henry

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, Folks.

Reporting back after almost a month... I have put this ink into my Baoer 388, and into a Sheaffer No-Nonsense pen. It seems to be working without any surprises whatsoever, flowing freely. I guess the particulate matter stuck to the floor and walls in the old bottle, and did not go floating about with the ink when I poured it into the second (and clean) bottle. Note that I did not shake or agitate the old bottle before pouring its contents into the second bottle.

Edited by hankosaurus

Henry

Good that you didn't shake or agitate it. I never do that with any bottle of ink. I know many of us do, but my philosophy is: if anything ever precipitates in a bottle, it can also do so in a pen....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Good that you didn't shake or agitate it. I never do that with any bottle of ink. I know many of us do, but my philosophy is: if anything ever precipitates in a bottle, it can also do so in a pen....

Mike

@lapis

Thanks for the wisdom, Mike. Makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want the stuff that stuck to the bottom of the Skrip ink bottle stuck in the feed of a nice pen.

@Chrissy

Couldn't those particles clog up a fountain pen? Forgive my ignorance. I never knew about gold and silver particles in ink before.

:)

Edited by hankosaurus

Henry