The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Sho-Genkai

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:56

Hi, I receieved my Sho - Genkai this morning around 11:00am and have been playing with it ever since. I have now decieded to share it with you all here at FPN, sorry about the delay :-( , but I'm hoping that my review will make up for the delay...There were 25 of these Pens made, of which, 1 of 13 were with out a Clip and then 1 of 12 were with a Clip..............................Posted Image
Posted Image

Appearance & Design (9-10) - When you first look at this pen it is very conservative, and full of Pure Art Work of a Modern Era! If that makes any sense. It is Just a Matte Black Pen! The unusual material it is comprised of is Raw Ebonite, but you would not know that unless someone told you.....Posted Image

Weight & Dimensions (10-10) - It is still a Large Pen, but it is suitable for my "mitts", but quite possibly not meant for others.....The Cap does NOT POST! Now for the sizes:
It is 37.97grams FULL of ink, sorry I was too excitted and inked it up before I weighed it and then started writing with it.....It is 6.1" Capped x 6.0 UnCapped, the Barell is .64" in Circumferrence and the Cap is .74" in Circumferrence. The Pen on the Left in the Picture in a Nakaya, Next is a GenKai, then is this Pen, then a Mikado, then a Parker DuoFold, all for size comparrisons...Posted Image

NIb & Performance (10-10) - I picked out a STUB nib size for my pen! I believe there were Fine, Medium, Bold and Stub nibs available for to choose from. The nib is made of 18Kt 750, and is a two tone nib...Posted Image
My Nib writes like Butter, and lays down a nice wet line if I want it too...I just have to adjust the valve the way that I want it to lay down a wet line. The nib can be removed and cleaned if necessary and reinstalled by myself.....Posted Image

Filling System and Maintenance (10-10) - This Fountain Pen uses a Eyedropper w/Shutoff Valve System for filling it with ink. I just filled it today to capacity and it took approximately 5 1/2mm worth of ink. Posted Image

Cost & Value (10-10) - I purchased this pen from Kevin at Internet Pens. As far as the MSRP goes, i did not see it but I would have to believe that given that there were only 25 of these pens made and that the gentleman who made these passed away, and that most other of the pens that I have seen from Keven go for $1,600.00 (Gengai and Mikado). I feel that this particular pen's value will exceed these pens for the reason's I listed above.....Posted Image

Conclussion ( Final Score, 59-60 ) - I'm not sure if I would buy this pen again, but if I did it would have been with a clip! as I feel that the pen is missing just a little bit of something. But it writes like there is no tomorrow! And for that I really like this pen! I will end up putting this pen up as a Collection Piece as I have no other pens with a production run of only 25 pieces....

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jonst

Jonst

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:44

Very nice! Thanks for the review.

Enjoy

Jon

#3 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:26

While I'm waiting for my clipped baby Genkai Posted Image, would you explain why you wrote:

I'm not sure if I would buy this pen again"?

I have a Mikado (tame midori) too: how would you compare the two pens?

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:30

wow. Very cool.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 FullyP

FullyP

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:39

Thanks for the review and pics, it looks gourgeous. Now I can look at these pictures ten times a day until mine arrives...

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:26

Beautiful! I love the clipless look although you don't often see it in pens this big. Good choice with the stub too.

#7 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:51

I love it! Can't wait to see mine in real life :)
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#8 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,659 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 21:53

You're in Deep trouble Dad. When Mom finds out about this you'll be sleeping with Junior and Winston in the shed. I'm willing to keep her off the net, but I'll need the car keys to the Trans Am tamale night, hot date you know. Beautiful Louisville Slugger, when do Doug and I get to see it in the flesh? Son

#9 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:46

You're in Deep trouble Dad. When Mom finds out about this you'll be sleeping with Junior and Winston in the shed. I'm willing to keep her off the net, but I'll need the car keys to the Trans Am tamale night, hot date you know. Beautiful Louisville Slugger, when do Doug and I get to see it in the flesh? Son

Yes, Dad, with head down, maybe next week we all can go to coffee and I can also bring some pens that I have fixed as well to the meeting......your son, sniff, sniff

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:56

You guys are cheesy. :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#11 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:59

While I'm waiting for my clipped baby Genkai Posted Image, would you explain why you wrote:

Hi, when I seen the original pictures of this pen, I believe they were Blue in color, not black....So when I opened the box and seen a Black pen I was stunned! I was totally unprepared for a Black pen, and I'm not sure at this point if I would have purchased a Black pen, as they are not my style. However, I now own this pen and that is that!

Now how would I compare the Mikado and This pen? To me there is no comparrison, as My Mikardo is a Tamenari in color.....I believe that is the right name? The Mikado has styling to it with the rounded edges as well as the coloring.

Now, with all that I have said above, enough can be said in the exact opposite direction in styling for the Sho - Genkai with it's straight edges and rounded sides and then it's Matte Black finish.

So what I am trying to say to YOU, is that the BEAUTY is truely in the EYE of the beholder! And I believe in that with all my heart.....I was just stunned over the color issue over the pictures that I had seen when I ordered the pen vs. when I opened the Box, ya know what I mean?

I hope that you get as much JOY out of your pen as what you are fully expecting to get!

Best Regards,
Mike

Edited by Chi Town, 11 August 2012 - 03:02.

Mike

#12 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,417 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:40

Hi, when I seen the original pictures of this pen, I believe they were Blue in color, not black....So when I opened the box and seen a Black pen I was stunned! I was totally unprepared for a Black pen, and I'm not sure at this point if I would have purchased a Black pen, as they are not my style. However, I now own this pen and that is that!

Now how would I compare the Mikado and This pen? To me there is no comparrison, as My Mikardo is a Tamenari in color.....I believe that is the right name? The Mikado has styling to it with the rounded edges as well as the coloring.

Now, with all that I have said above, enough can be said in the exact opposite direction in styling for the Sho - Genkai with it's straight edges and rounded sides and then it's Matte Black finish.

So what I am trying to say to YOU, is that the BEAUTY is truely in the EYE of the beholder! And I believe in that with all my heart.....I was just stunned over the color issue over the pictures that I had seen when I ordered the pen vs. when I opened the Box, ya know what I mean?

I hope that you get as much JOY out of your pen as what you are fully expecting to get!

Best Regards,
Mike

I stay off of FPN for a week and what do I get? Geeeesh...
the Danitrio Fellowship

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:18

outstanding review thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#14 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:31

Gorgeous pen!
Posted Image

#15 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 20:28

outstanding review thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Thank You!

Mike

#16 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 20:31

Best Regards,
Mike

I stay off of FPN for a week and what do I get? Geeeesh...

Doug,

Ya nut! - We going for coffee next Saturday with Jim??

Mike

#17 ParkerBeta

ParkerBeta

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:08

Out of curiosity, what case are you using to store this Baby Genkai (or are you using the box it came in)? I couldn't find a regular case large enough for it, but Bamapen's case made out of a cigar box worked:

Posted Image

S.T. Dupont Defi with (steel) F nib
Montegrappa Nero Uno Linea M nib
Visconti Sterling Silver Skeleton M nib
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age EF nib

#18 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:19

1350234516[/url]' post='2485776']
Out of curiosity, what case are you using to store this Baby Genkai (or are you using the box it came in)? I couldn't find a regular case large enough for it, but Bamapen's case made out of a cigar box worked:

Posted Image

Given that I Use my Sho Genkai almost on an every day basis as a writer, I do not keep it in a box.Where I do keep it thou is on my desk in a round display.......that holds 12 pens. When I Adam finished using the pen it will go into my large pen case / Humidor that holds 130 pens. But I really like your single pen case from bama pens!

Mike

#19 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2012 - 22:00

I like that flashlight! :thumbup:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Sponsored Content

|