Which Is The Worst Sheaffer Fountain Pen?

Aman Syed

Hey there! According to you, which is the worst Sheaffer Fountain Pen?.. Thanks.

Edited by Aman Syed

"You can do anything, but not everything" — David Allen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• de_pen_dent

• AL01

• Ernst Bitterman

That may be true,; however, so were numerous artists whose works are now considered invaluable. And then there were scientists who were imprisoned (e.g. Roger Bacon). Some ideas just take more time to ripen. How many of us wish we had purchased a few more PFMs back in the day!

As to the worst Sheaffer...that's an oxymoron, or non sequitur or whichever term you prefer...there is no such thing, IMHO. There is, of course, the occasional confounding one. :ltcapd:

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

From the sounds of things in a recent thread, the Viewpoint rendition of the Calligraphy pen sounds like a viable choice.

Everyone was generally nauseous of it.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

The current incarnation of the Viewpoint is rather terrible, although the actual writing part is OK. I think, looking back, that soft-bodied quasi-hooded school pen was a similar thing; squalid, apart from the actual ink-paper aspect. Oh, here's a picture:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sheaffer-0152.jpg

I've had some issues with the Stylist, in terms of convincing ink to pass along through the section, but when that's not an issue they're actually kind of nice to use. As long as one doesn't look at the clip too long.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The PFM was probably the biggest sales failure for Sheaffer.

The Royal Selangor must also be somewhere near the top of the list of Sheaffer sales flops.

The PFM was probably the biggest sales failure for Sheaffer.

The Royal Selangor must also be somewhere near the top of the list of Sheaffer sales flops.

Yeah but it was a small failure, just a few pens and one year IIRC.

The PFM was introduced as the very top of the line and revolutionary.

Hi,

I think it has to be the Sheaffer Reacktor. I loved mine, but it came with an untipped folded steel nib. I replaced the nib with another nib that I modified expressly for the purpose. I have done these retrofits for a few people and it turned a somewhat mediocre pen to quite a good one. I used Pelikan nibs for that were shortened significantly for the retrofit. It was mostly finishing if not anything else. The work needs to look perfect.

It turned an odd, somewhat mediocre pen to a quite good one both in looks and writing capabilities. After the retrofit, I used it all the time. My question though, was "why?" I think Sheaffer should have just continued with their cartridge pen series with the Sheaffer cartridges and all and not bothered with making a version with a nib that wasn't even tipped and used International cartridges instead of Sheaffer ones.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The new Ferrari one might be a contender.

It is just a marketing hyped pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

Reaktor...seriously? Sheaffer put their name on this?

I love the pen, but hate the name "No Nonsense"

The fake Balance school pen ranks up there in lousy build quality, too

The Valor did not do too well either :embarrassed_smile:

it writes very well and sheaffer is discontinuing it may be it is not selling at 300 USD in INDIA i got it at 190 USD and Happy

Until *very* recently, there was no such thing as a "bad" Sheaffer pen. Even their school pens perfomed well beyond their price point. Look at the No Nonsense. It was maybe a fiver back in the day, and people still love them.

I have my Sheaffer school pen from the 1970s that I dug out of a drawer at my mum's. Soaked 40 years of dried Skrip blue black out of it, and it writes. Nicely. Can't beat that with a stick, can you?

For $30 I got a 'second' NOS Imperial II in F from Peyton Street, and what a delightful, smooth-writing little pen. 'Second' meaning a bit of pitting on the clip.

I loves me some Sheaffer.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sheaffer Intensity. It is a heavy metal pen, nail of a nib, but smooth and well finished. Intense, definetively not. Really cold thing, not meant to generate passion or synergy.

There are quite a few dogs in the company's history, but I still count them as successes when you look at the safe, dreary, imported stuff they are selling now. For instance I have a Royal Selangor, and while I realize that it was the first of a failed series, there is nothing wrong with the pen, and I really like it.

I have to say that in modern times the Intrigue might be a top contender. I'll also say that I have one, and even though its construction is a little iffy, I love it. It writes great all of the time; something you can't say about a number of Italian pens.

My Sheaffer Legacy; the first one off of the production line, that I won in a Pen World contest in 1995.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160093.jpg

the Danitrio Fellowship

The worst Sheaffer I have had the displeasure of using was my Sheaffer School Pen (NOS) from the late 90s/early 2000s. One of the ones that were made in China. It felt cheap, the nib was scratchy, and the cap was on so tight that it pulled ink out of the nib/feed when I would cap/uncap it. Most of my other Sheaffers have been fantastic.

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

it writes very well and sheaffer is discontinuing it may be it is not selling at 300 USD in INDIA i got it at 190 USD and Happy

Where did you find it for this price? I can only find it for Rs 17-20k, whereever I look.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.