Duofold Af Colors

jhataway

Hello to all,

I have a jet blak England (Newhaven) Duofold AF from 1949. These button filler pens were made from 1948-1952. I have read that they were produced in four colors: black, grey, blue, and burgundy. Does anyone know of other colors? And can anyone describe the shade (dark to light) of the grey and blue finishes? Thanks,

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• adamon

• red52ripple

• jhataway

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AF (Mark IV) Victory came in dark green as well. The blue is quite dark and the grey is pale. The grey is subject to discoloration.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

Deb is right. Blue is really dark (it's not easy to recognize on the photo black and blue pen) and the burgundy as well (almost dark brown).

The grey pens one can very often find discolored (the sellers describe sometimes as olive green).

There are also the danish Duofolds AF - one can find in additional colours: apple (olive?) green and teracota brown.

Here the Duofolds AF - from the left: black, burgundy, blue and grey (2 pens from each colour), next 2 danish colours. Next pens are the danish Senior Duofolds AF, and the last one is black french Duofold AF (little bit thinner then english).

fpn_1344288009__af_1_800.jpg

Discoloration of grey AF's.

fpn_1344288027__af_2_800.jpg

That's very similar to the discolouration that afflicts the grey Mabie, Todd Swans in their post-war production. I wonder if they shared a supplier? :hmm1:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

That's very similar to the discolouration that afflicts the grey Mabie, Todd Swans in their post-war production. I wonder if they shared a supplier? :hmm1:

Most pale grey pens of that period tend to suffer yellow discoloration, regardless of manufacturer. I've seen it in late Mentmores and Wyverns too.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

• 4 years later...

I have just finished restoring a Duofold AF in deep green color. I bought the pen in the wild for around $28. Clean body, clean clip but having a little brassing on the cap band. It has a superb springy/flexy #30 nib and writing with it is simply a joy.

I have just looked on tony's site (parkerpens.net) and the deep green color is not mentioned for the Duofold AF line pens. I wonder Why?

Khan M. Ilyas

Nice to see this old thread brought back to life, with posts from Deb in particular.

I think the missing green from the site is just an anomoly.

I have just completed a AF also, mine was in plain black but had the gold button, nice nibs on these pens arent they Mitto, a degree of flex without going over the top.

Yes. I am in total agreement with you, Beachwood. A fair amount of flex but as you said 'without going over the top'. I love such springy nibs. I have a NS black one among my NS pens that, too, has a lovely nib with the same charatristics.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks.

I do believe, that it's dark blue colour. In reality this dark blue is almost black and depending of light might be similar to dark green also.

Nice pen.

Thanks.

I do believe, that it's dark blue colour. In reality this dark blue is almost black and depending of light might be similar to dark green also.

Nice pen.

Thank you. But the color is deep green. Clearly visible with the naked eye. I don't know, however, how to photoghraph it so that it shows its real color.

Khan M. Ilyas

I think this might be helpful. I think the camera flash did the trick to capture the color. Though the color in actual is deeper then the one shown by the camera.

post-117288-0-59210700-1478000867_thumb.jpg

Khan M. Ilyas

Just a note about photographing a dark colour pen. If you put it on a white background, your camera will "read" the white as the main subject and reduce the aperture and shutter speed making the pen look much darker. I always photograph pens on a neutral grey background, try it, it will give a much truer colour to the image.