Sheaffer Taranis

ticoun

FPGeeks posted an article about a new Sheaffer model due to be launched in 2013, the Taranis.

A hooded nib on a Sheaffer? :yikes: That's a first!

I personally find it nice, though the section makes it look like a Pilot VP with a cap. :unsure:

What do you guys think of it?

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• Maja

• PenHero

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm. Something about it looks a bit cheap to me. I think it's mostly the clip. I find the design on the top a bit busy, too.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Dang, I've been waiting for a new Sheaffer design but this doesn't do it. Cheap and gimmicky looking.

Well, it doesn't really blow my skirt up but I'll reserve judgement til I hear a good review of it.

I would applaud Sheaffer for being imaginative and forward thinking. That's been absent (IMO) in the former biggest American pen companies for a long time. It's all either cookie cutter pens year after year or cooky cutter things like Parker's fake FP.

A fresh take on a semi-hooded nib sounds logical to me. Like someone actually gave a new pen some thought as a writer. IMO, semi-hooded has a lot of the advantages of a full hood with none of the negative. (The only negative I know of is some people don't like a hidden nib.)

It doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out but I doubt I'll be buying one soon.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Okay -

except for the clip (too big) and the blingy lookin junk on the metal strip on the section - I think it's drop dead awesome!

:thumbup:

I really like it.

But that clip.

:sick:

Well... it's less hooded than a Stylpoint, so I'll not call them out for that. I actually sort of like them, so far as I can base a judgement from the pictures I've seen. There's an element in them than makes me think of a pen designer in 1965 being tasked the the job of designing something for an SF film set in the distant year of 2013, and I am a bit of an idiot for that sort of thing. I should like to be in the room with one to form a real judgement, though.

...of course, being in the room with one has made me willing to look for more than 30 seconds at a Parker 25 :sick: . I'm easily swayed.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Attractive design. I hope they seal around the "finger" well. If not, I see a lot of business down the road.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Interesting pen. I'm a sucker for hooded nib designs so I'll have to check this one out in person. From the photos, I find the design on the section to be a bit much and I'm not sure I like the length of the clip. Overall, the pen reminds me a bit of my Waterman Edson and the front end of the section and nib remind me of my Lamy 2000, especially from the side view. Sheaffer is usually known for producing excellent nibs, so I may be interested once I have a chance to test drive one (if I can find a dealer).

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Okay -

except for the clip (too big) and the blingy lookin junk on the metal strip on the section - I think it's drop dead awesome!

:thumbup:

I really like it.

But that clip.

:sick:

Those are the design elements which turn me off as well. Also looks like it'll be smaller than I prefere.

Well, it doesn't really blow my skirt up but I'll reserve judgement til I hear a good review of it.

I would applaud Sheaffer for being imaginative and forward thinking. That's been absent (IMO) in the former biggest American pen companies for a long time. It's all either cookie cutter pens year after year or cooky cutter things like Parker's fake FP.

A fresh take on a semi-hooded nib sounds logical to me. Like someone actually gave a new pen some thought as a writer. IMO, semi-hooded has a lot of the advantages of a full hood with none of the negative. (The only negative I know of is some people don't like a hidden nib.)

It doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out but I doubt I'll be buying one soon.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I'm happy to see Sheaffer being innovative and taking design risks. I hope it finds a market, but the aesthetics just don't appeal to me.

Well, it's not their first hooded nib...I think the honour goes to the little blue number on this page

(which doesn't appeal to me either)

I don't know...I'd have to see it in person, but even then, at $165 for the FP, it seems rather high for a pen with a bit of a cheap feel to it.... :mellow:

I don't hate it right off :mellow:

Think I'll reserve judgement until I can see it in person.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

anyway i am glad that sheaffer is coming out with new and different models. although i am too poor to afford their lines i wish them all the best.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

I like the long sleek/ "streched" design. But I prefer thicker sections. To me it looks like a lady´s pen. And I don´t think it can compete againt a vintage sheaffer. For $125 to $165 you can buy a more appealing pen.