Alternatives For Lamy M66 Capless Rollers

Jezza

I have a few Lamy pens that utilize the "Capless" rollerball refills, the M66. The M66 is used in the Lamy Swift, Tipo, and the lovely Dialog 2. While the Cross gel rollerball refill works perfectly in the Lamy Swift and Tipo (and it's cheaper than the M66, too) I haven't been able to find anything that works in the Dialog 2. There's nothing wrong with the M66. I found it tends to be very wet initially, and fade rapidly. It's also pricey, retailing at $5.50 per refill. This evening I found a relatively simple solution that will allow one to use Parker-style refills in the Dialog 2, and any other Lamy Capless rollerball pen.

First, take an exhausted M66 refill and pull the plastic rollerball tip. It's only joined to the metal barrel of the refill with friction, so it comes off easily. There's a sponge inside that holds the writing fluid; you'll need to remove it as well. It should just fall free of the barrel, or come out with a gentle tap. I usually wash the inside of the barrel, which sometimes has ink left inside. With the writing tip removed, you will only be left with the metal barrel and the plastic end piece. The diameter of this barrel will perfectly accommodate a parker style refill. However, you will first need to trim about 1/2 of the plastic off the Parker refill--otherwise it's a tad bit too long. Then, simply drop it into the empty barrel of the depleted M66 refill. I usually wrap a thin layer or two of electrician's tape around the tip of the Parker refill, since it's diameter is smaller than the Lamy. This keeps the tip from wiggling around when deployed for writing. That's it. You can reuse the empty M66 body as many times as you want. Simple fix, and it gives one access to many refills with various inks for a lot less money.

Edited by Jezza

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mashardy

• scratchofapen

• tonyk87

• fountain_of_pen

Hmm, I never thought to put anything other in a lamy cap less roller before. I might just have to try this out with my dud black refill when I get home.

Thanks for this!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I have two Swifts I love the idea of but can't stand the frequent refill changes any moderate use demands. Will be trying this today.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

A bit necromancy here.........found this topic via the search........

I have just refilled an old M66, just pull the plastic endcap off and fill in with an eyedropper.

If he colour is too different let the sponge soak over night in wather and press the rest out.

The experiment went well so far, i did Diamine green black in and no leak after 2 weeks of usage, and the refill works fine. I tought, why not, maybe i can stretch the colourrange a bit.

Edited by scratchofapen

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I gave "necromancy" a shot! Had a dried out M66. This is what I did:

• pull the plastic the part with the nib off
  • invert the cartridge and place the plastic top cap on a blotter or paper towel
  • fill with ink via eye dropper
    • the sponge was dry, I did not wash it
    • I used Noodler's Heart of Darkness
    • it absorbed quite a bit of ink
  • fill slowly, allowing absorption of ink, until a few drops emerge from the top cap (which is why you need the blotter!)
  • replace the nib

writing was a bit scratchy at first, much smoother a few hours later

Good Luck!

• 5 months later...

I just finally bought the Lamy Dialog 2 (indeed a lovely pen). I love to write in blue, all my Lamy fountain pen ink are blue as well. However, the Lamy M66 refills for the roller ball black write narrower (fine) compare to the M66 blue which writes wider (medium). Anybody else has experienced this?

Regards,

Ardy

• 2 months later...

I just finally bought the Lamy Dialog 2 (indeed a lovely pen). I love to write in blue, all my Lamy fountain pen ink are blue as well. However, the Lamy M66 refills for the roller ball black write narrower (fine) compare to the M66 blue which writes wider (medium). Anybody else has experienced this?

Regards,

Ardy

Yes, I've noticed this as well with my LAMY refills.