Is there a pen group in Mid Michigan?

golfpar57

I live in the Tri-CIty area (Midland,Bay City and Saginaw) and wondered if there was a pen group or people interested in forming one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MLKirk

• Wolverine1

• hunter186

• JohnS-MI

I don't know. There apparently is one around the Detroit area, and it sponsors a Michigan Pen Show in Troy. For 2007, date is Sep. 7-9.

I just discovered this while searching for other nearby pen shows; anything else is about a 5 hour drive (Chicago, Colombus, Toronto. This is only a few miles from my house, so I'll probably give it a try.

Link, but not much info yet about Sep.: http://www.michpens.com/

Midland, myself. There's two of us at least. I think there is an impromptu group that meets in Ann Arbor, but I havne't heard of meetings lately. Wolvering (sid) knew about that one.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I'm in Wixom, myself. Right here (as he points to his hand). :roflmho:

The Michigan Pen Club is primarily in SE Michigan and is led by Eric Fonville (I think he's in Ann Arbor and Li Tah Wong in Southfield among others. A very friendly bunch. Although my schedule has not allow me to attend any of their meetings, it looks like the last one, in December, was at someone's home in my hometown of Farmington Hills.

I went to the show this year, my second one. This one was in Troy at the Hilton, I believe. Great venue! Much better than the depressing, bland room at Cobo Hall when I went prior (I think '03 or '04). This show is a small, pleasant one to attend. Roger Cromwell of Penopoly was there, primarily because he has relatives and grew up in the Flint area. Not a highly profitable show for volume dealers, but perfect for a cozy gathering of pen enthusiasts. I highly recommend attending on a Saturday.

Midland, hmmmm....pass there once a month while on the way to my customer in Evart. About all that's in Evart. :lol:

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

Thanks for the info on the pen show. I put Saturday, Sep. 8 on my calendar.

I know right where you are pointing as used to go to Wixom Assembly Plant occasionally. I'm in Bloomfield Township.

• 5 weeks later...

Argh! There was a pen show in Troy? I *live* in Troy.

Too bad I'm moving out in June...

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Old-ish thread, but I too would love a pen group somewhere in Michigan. I'm in East Lansing. Also, I think I see a pen show in my future, do any of my fellow FPN Michiganders have recommendations on pen shows near Michigan (other than the Troy show)?

Chicago in May is a good one. Columbus in November is just as good if not, better. Splits up the year nicely. eureka.gif

Edited by MLKirk

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

Chicago looks like fun. I think it will fall shortly before my exam week, so it may not be the best time, but I think I'll try to make it.

I'm overdue for a trip to Chicago anyways. I always have a good time there.

Well, I am in Ann Arbor, and we tried to get a group together, but, it never workedout, becasue, people's schedules never seemed to work out.

I am thinking of proposing another get-together in May, say on a saturday. We could meet, and then , maybe go to someplace to eat.

What do you all say?

I know that Ann Arbor might be a bit away from some of you folks, but, will y'all be interested in a May get-together?

I think a gathering is a good idea. May is a busy month for me. Perhaps the latter half of April is better? I know there would interest. James Partridge (of Pear Tree Pens) is right there in A-squared. I bet he'd go. Perhaps our Spartan friend above may be a little nervous in pure Wolverine territory. blink.gif Maybe in between? Howell or Brighton? Doesn't matter to me. cool.gif Bringing a few pens would be in order, too. animal26.gif

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Sounds like fun. Anytime before the 3rd week of May is rather touch and go. I may be able to make it, but it'll be difficult for me to commit much in advance. I'll certainly try though, let me know.

A Michigan get together sounds great. My schedule fluctuates wildly. Maybe picking a date good for as many as possible now, and then publicizing it widely would create a good turn out.

gary from kazoo

Folks - this is spring break week for U-M, and for teh schools in the Ann Arbor area. So james P is on vacation with his wife and 2 little boys. When he gets back, I will talk to him, set a date or maybe 2 dates, and then publicise it here on FPN, Pentrace, StylophilesOnline, and Lion and Pen.

plus, I have emails for Kendall, Gary from Kzoo, and a few others.

lets make this thing happen!!

Please send me an email to my addresss which is available in my profile.

Sid

Hi Sid

Thanks for spearheading. If you continue posting on this thread, I get emails notifiying me of a new post so I'll get word. If everyone posts a reply and makes sure to mark the email notification in the "Post Options" area while you're replying, you will get email notifications, too.

Oh how I do NOT miss exam time. animal26.gif

Edited by MLKirk

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Will do.

I have to talk to a couple of locals here in Ann Arbor and get them involved. Some of the folks are out of town since the A2 Schools and U-M is closed for Spring Break - will report back, once I have talked to them next week.

we have to arrange for a place to meet with adequete parking, access to good places to eat, etc..... smile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by Wolverine1

• 3 weeks later...

What I find amazing is that people are talking about setting up a pen meeting locally. But when it turns out that Michigan Pen Club (est. 1984) has meeteings in the area, do you come? No.

The talk is cheap. Your inaction when it comes to MPC meetings and the Michigan Pen Show reflects very poorly on you.

Edited by mp3

QUOTE (mp3 @ Mar 18 2007, 04:22 AM)
What I find amazing is that people are talking about setting up a pen meeting locally. But when it turns out that Michigan Pen Club (est. 1984) has meeteings in the area, do you come? No.
The talk is cheap. Your inaction when it comes to MPC meetings and the Michigan Pen Show reflects very poorly on you.

Cheap shot, MP3. Why so much animosity? If you wish to promote the MPC, then why not be positive instead of antagonistic? Remember, you attract bees with honey.

I have met several members of the MPC and they are wonderful, helpful and enthusiastic people. Very positive and an asset to the hobby.

There are not that many meetings throughout the course of the year and many people have very busy lives. I travel heavily for a living and I have been unable to coordinate my schedule to attend one of the occasional meetings. My loss. My absence is not a slight to the club nor do I feel it reflects poorly on me. You are quick to judge.

eureka.gif Perhaps you should re-examine your tone and try to attract people to the hobby and membership instead of being sarcastic and condescending to them. dry.gif

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum