The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A Rotring Fountain Pen Review

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03

First of all, i`m sorry for the name of the topic, i just couldn`t find out the model of the fountain pen i`m reviewing. I will attach some pictures, maybe someone will identify it, eventually. An now, to the actual review.

1. Design and construction- 8/10. I believe this an early 1990s model, with a straight body, simple clip, and a unmarked nib. The shape reminds me of that of the montblanc noblesse. Although it doesn`t seem to be a high-end model, it has a gold, linear pattern that is very interesting(see the pictures below), with a nice texture, similar to satin.
Construction wise, it`s decent. Body and cap are made from metal, and the cap clicks on securely. Still, i am a little hesitant as to how the satin-like finish will hold in time, and the section tends to unscrew by itself from the barrel of the pen. The biggest drawback however, is that it seems i can`t post the cap, it simply slips off.

2. Weight and dimensions- 8.5/10. This pen has a medium weight and measures 13.5 cm capped, having a diameter of about 0.8 cm, making it a slim model. Balance without posting the cap is ok.

3. Nib and performance- 9,5/10. This is actually the part where this rotring really surpassed my expectations. The nib itself has a plain design, nothing special here, and lays down a semi-wet medium line. It is quite smooth, rigid and wrote without hesitation when i first filled it up. No skipping issues, which is always a good thing. Also, it`s quite tolerant when changing the angle of writing. I`m quite impressed, considering the price i paid for it.

4. Filling system and value for money- 9/10. This pen is a cartridge filler, and came with a standard twist-type converter. I believe it takes standard-size cartridges. I personally prefer this type of pens, no need to dipping the pen in ink in order to fill it up, and it is simple to perform maintenance on it.
I paid about 8 usd for this pen, and i`m quite happy with that, considering it was unused when i got it. It came with a plane black plastic box, that can be opened by sliding the top side. All-in-all, a very decent pen, with an interesting finish and good writing capabilities.

Attached Images

• P1180912.JPG
  • P1180911.JPG
  • P1180913.JPG
  • P1180914.JPG
  • P1180910.JPG

Edited by rochester21, 31 July 2012 - 11:21.

Sponsored Content

#2 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 14:17

Wow - if I hadn't seen the Rotring name on the cap and the red ring on the top, I would never have guessed this was a Rotring! Nice catch!

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 20:41

That's really nice. Thanks for the review.

Reminds me of the Lamy Studio.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 jakelogan

jakelogan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:21

Thanks for the review, that looks like quite the deal for $8. It's enchanting how the most undecorated nibs can be the best writers and vice versa

Reminds me of the Lamy Studio.

Me too.
It's almost a blend of a Lamy Studio, a MB Noblesse, and a Lamy CP1
Step 1: Buy another fountain pen
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

#5 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:23

Nobody knows what it is? How am I going to index this!? :P

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#6 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 16:42

Fantabulous pen even for more than twice what you paid for it! Congrats!
:happyberet:
"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#7 attika89

attika89

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:25

I have my eyes on 3-4 of these right now....

#8 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 21:43

Do you know what it's called please?!
"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#9 attika89

attika89

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 21:47

Do you know what it's called please?!

Unfortunately I have no idea...neither does the seller....:hmm1:

Sponsored Content

|