The Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program

OcalaFlGuy

Thanks, all of you, for considering such a generous program.

I'm dreaming of an Estie of my own someday, but in the meantime if I can contribute a mite or two to a shipping fund, count me in.

My fp: Canadian Parker Vac Jr. in Emerald Pearl, Sailor Sapporo Lamé in purple, Hero Jin Tai Lang in Brown, Noodler's Nib Creaper Clear Demonstrator, Jinhao x750 Golden Sands, Hero 616 in Burgundy, Sailor Clear Candy in Metallic Green, Sailor High-Ace Neo in Red.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• alc3261

• dcpritch

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only own 2 Esterbrooks and I think they are:

J : Rootbeer 9556

SJ : Green 9048

That's it and I would gladly throw them into the community lending library.

I have been casting about looking to try a flex nib and they are at a premium. Before I go after one seriously, I would like to try one.

Lol, maybe we're talking about a nib exchange.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this is a heck of an idea.

Edited by Hex

Hex, aka George

George, why don't you message GClef and ask to "jump the gun" on the program if you want. I wouldn't suggest that except GC already has been loaning his own pens out with his own "rules" and since he's volunteered a J with a 9788 Flex nib for the Estie Loaner program he might go ahead and get it in the mail to you to try out. He is who I got the base idea to try this as a forum effort from.

PS I see now that you have a 9048. While they can vary from nib to nib, most of the Estie Flexies will be more a semi-flex. GC's 9788 will be noticeably wider than your 9048 though.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Brandon, thank you. I would probably ask that if it's in use condition now that you send it to it's first Loanee. We can have them either return it to me or maybe to Melissa as her first Uber-Nuke Polish patient. :eureka:

No prob. I havent used it lately, so I just inked it for a test. When that's discharged she's ready to go. I have a pile of grading, so it shouldn't take long. :wacko:

Edited by bphollin

I only own 2 Esterbrooks and I think they are:

J : Rootbeer 9556

SJ : Green 9048

That's it and I would gladly throw them into the community lending library.

I have been casting about looking to try a flex nib and they are at a premium. Before I go after one seriously, I would like to try one.

Lol, maybe we're talking about a nib exchange.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this is a heck of an idea.

George, if your two pens are in decent shape and good writing condition they are Certainly Welcome to be Loaner Ambassadors! :thumbup: Let us know what colors they are and double check on the nib #'s and I'll be sure they get added to the list.

For the moment I am walking the thin line on $ donations. For now, I'd rather keep those pledges As pledges. We can always call on them when the need presents itself for new loaner nibs, etc;

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Excellent idea. I have four Esties that are great little pens. Providing an opportunity for people new to fountain pens or would like to see what an Esterbrook is like a chance to try one is a great idea. Anything that promotes fountain pens is to be applauded.

I hope your idea is successful.

... I don't have any esties at the moment, so maybe I might like to try one! Blue LJ XF nib.

Hi Marshall, I have the Blue LJ and will send it to you with the 9550 EF nib. Please shoot me a PM and we can work out the details. Best, DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Great idea!

I have a 9550 nib (extra fine) available for donation. It's too fine for my tastes but you're welcome to it.

Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

Here are mine and I think I named them right.

Rootbeer - J

Green - SJ

--------------------------------

Hex, aka George

Important NEW information RE; International shipping of Loaner Esties

FPNer GClef did some International mailing this week and his experience had me doing some checking. Apparently, the most recent USPS rate hikes hit the First-Class Mail International Parcel rate harder than I was aware of. A pen can still be mailed First Class *domestically* inside a PVC tube, inside a bubblewrap envelope for around $2.50. Unfortunately, the cheapest International rate for that is now $6.12.

While it is not my place to tell anyone how to ship a package, what I will say is that, IMO, $12+ to try an Estie for 14 days is excessive.

Here is my suggestion on how to ship an Estie internationally to keep the price down to the originally suggest approx. $3. First, get your bubblewrap envelopes at Walmart or another big box retailer of your choice. 6 x 9 BW envelopes can be had there for around $.60 each in packs of 8-10 that you will pay DOUBLE that for at the Post Office. I also use clear shipping tape to cover the old addresses up with a new piece of paper with the new addresses on it so I can use a BW envelope for at least 2 return trip mailings.

Here is an idea of my mailing tubes made (FREE) from old pizza boxes (they have especially good cardboard). FYI, I cut the master piece 5 1/4" long and make each "side" 1 1/8". I use the sharp edge of a wood cigar box parts box to fold the cardboard over to make each "side".

112809_16171.jpg112809_16231.jpg112809_16341.jpg

I tape the tube closed with good masking tape and wrap the pen in paper toweling such that it's snug within the tube. I make the paper towel tube about 3/4" longer than the cardboard one on each end and fold the end over the end of the cardboard tube and tape that down. Will it survive being run over by a car or truck like PVC will? Doubtful. But it WILL work fine for all but the worst case scenarios. Most importantly, it's about a 50% reduction in weight/postal cost from the PVC tube package which will get the international shipping for an Estie Back into the $3-ish range.

If we want this to continue to work for International Loaners, please Lendors, adapt your shipping packaging such that we don't (even) attempt to saddle a Loaner with an over $10 postage fee.

[Yes, I realize we have some pledges for $ that could be used to supplement any International Loanings postage we do. That also means sometime needs to collect, maintain and distribute said supplements which adds a degree of complexity to this I'd myself would rather avoid if at all possible.]

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

As of 7/27/12, the following pens are available for tester loaning;

Green SJ, Medium 2668 nib

Blue LJ, 9556 F or 9550 XF nib (Borrower to specify which nib)*Currently out on loan*

Copper J, 2556 F nib

Esterbrook M2 with either a 9284 or 9550 XF nib

Copper J, 9556 F

Green SJ, 9048 *On Loan*

For Estie Testing within the continent of Australia, A Silver SJ with a 1551 and 2668 nib (Loanee may choose which nib to try.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Bruce, you really are out to convert the world, aren't you. :)

I greatly enjoy the time I spend in other brand forums but to me, the Esterbrook group is special. I've been taught so much there. The entire group is consistently so very generous and gracious. It seemed almost like a natural progression to me.

Besides, the idea came from GClef, it's all his fault. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce, you really are out to convert the world, aren't you. :)

I greatly enjoy the time I spend in other brand forums but to me, the Esterbrook group is special. I've been taught so much there. The entire group is consistently so very generous and gracious. It seemed almost like a natural progression to me.

Besides, the idea came from GClef, it's all his fault. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Of course, the other guy is always at fault. ;)

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug - Some of my amateur photography.

As of 7/27/12, the following pens are available for tester loaning;

Green SJ, Medium 2668 nib

Blue LJ, 9556 F or 9550 XF nib (Borrower to specify which nib)

Green J, 9788 M nib (Currently loaned out)

Red J, 2668 M nib

Copper J, 2556 F nib

Esterbrook M2 with either a 9284 or 9550 XF nib

Copper J, 9556 F

Green SJ, 9048

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Hi Bruce, the blue LJ with a 9550 nib is on its way to Connecticut, USA, so it's off the list for a couple of weeks. Thanks for keeping this organized and putting up with folks like me who don't always communicate promptly.

David

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Can I offer my silver SJ with both 1551 and a 2668 nibs for loan out in Australia only? Please let me know if this is ok because the international post can be scary with costs and loss of packages and if it isn't then I completely understand :)

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Red J, 2668 M nib

This one's claimed for now and is headed out for an apprentice Polish and Nuke Gloss ala Bruce (patent pending). We'll let you know when it is back in rotation.

Brandon

Can I offer my silver SJ with both 1551 and a 2668 nibs for loan out in Australia only? Please let me know if this is ok because the international post can be scary with costs and loss of packages and if it isn't then I completely understand :)

It sure sounds perfectly OK to me Twoodi.

I have edited the Available to Borrow list to include your pen as an Australia only Loaner.

Thank you for your participation. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

George, why don't you message GClef and ask to "jump the gun" on the program if you want. I wouldn't suggest that except GC already has been loaning his own pens out with his own "rules" and since he's volunteered a J with a 9788 Flex nib for the Estie Loaner program he might go ahead and get it in the mail to you to try out. He is who I got the base idea to try this as a forum effort from.

PS I see now that you have a 9048. While they can vary from nib to nib, most of the Estie Flexies will be more a semi-flex. GC's 9788 will be noticeably wider than your 9048 though.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Howdy Bruce,

I just tried the 9048 again and while it flexes a bit it is not in the same league with my Geha or Swan.

Maybe I should withdraw it. I sure would not like to disappoint.

Edited by Hex

Hex, aka George